Visa App - onshore 820/801 partner visa. Advice!

ElToro

Hi all, I'm looking for some advice as I finalise my 820/801 Partner Visa application.

I'm currently on a 457 visa and have entered my 3rd year with 20 months remaining. (Thus I need to get my finger out and get this applied for...)

My wife is Australian and have lived together for over 3 years so I meet all the defacto requirements. I started collating information 12 months ago however it's been on the backburner and I just wanted to check there was no changes/developments I need to be aware of that could impact my application.

1 - I'm reading conflicting reports on here re: medical. Some people suggest not getting medical upfront and waiting until asked. Others say you must get it in advance. Can anyone help with this?

2 - What medical do I need to apply for? I cannot find the specific name of the medical in my visa application forms - again, any help is appreciated!

3 - Does the fact that I've got a child on the way help in any way with my application? (In terms of advancing me up the queue, prioritising me, qualifying me for an alternative visa?)

Thanks in advance guys!

Hi all, I'm looking for some advice as I finalise my 820/801 Partner Visa application.

I'm currently on a 457 visa and have entered my 3rd year with 20 months remaining. (Thus I need to get my finger out and get this applied for...)

My wife is Australian and have lived together for over 3 years so I meet all the defacto requirements. I started collating information 12 months ago however it's been on the backburner and I just wanted to check there was no changes/developments I need to be aware of that could impact my application.

1 - I'm reading conflicting reports on here re: medical. Some people suggest not getting medical upfront and waiting until asked. Others say you must get it in advance. Can anyone help with this?

2 - What medical do I need to apply for? I cannot find the specific name of the medical in my visa application forms - again, any help is appreciated!

3 - Does the fact that I've got a child on the way help in any way with my application? (In terms of advancing me up the queue, prioritising me, qualifying me for an alternative visa?)

Thanks in advance guys!

You don't need to meet "defacto requirements", you are married not defacto. It sounds like your case would be relatively straight forward, don't know why you have not done it sooner to be honest.

I don't know why people still ask about doing medicals up front, it is very clear from the immigration site, no DO NOT do medicals until asked.

The impending birth will not make any difference to processing, no.

If you look at the My Declarations info on the DIBP website, they only suggest doing the medicals up front if you expect your visa to be granted within 6 months. Onshore partner visas typically take more than 12 months so definitely wait until your CO asks you to do them otherwise you'll just have to do them over again. Your CO will tell you what's needed.

As Rupert has said, upcoming birth will have no impact on the visa processing.

820 can be applied for online. Most people seem to prefer the online application vs. paper. I'd have to assume it's faster processing since DIBP doesn't have to do all the data entry that you'd be doing on their behalf, but that's simply a guess on my part. IMO, the advantage of online is you get the email acknowledgement of receipt and immediate grant of the BVA (can be a huge advantage if you need the bridging visa on shorter notice than sending your application in). Plus it seems it would be easier to continue to add evidence as needed vs. having to courier/email more stuff to DIBP.

Hi all, thanks for the advice. Amused at Rupert's rebuke "Don't know why you have not done it sooner" haha!3 years ago PIO were telling me I'd never get a visa and shouldn't bother coming to Oz. I'm happy to recieve such blunt feedback telling me the opposite now. Thanks again for providing clarification.