Stuck in Bundaberg! Help!

Bonnie1992

Hi everyone, my name is Bonnie I'm 21 years old and am a British backpacker. I am currently stuck in Bundaberg doing my regional work, I'm not getting enough shifts to be able to save any money, in fact I'm losing money as I the rent is higher than what I am earning!

I have 8 weeks until my mom flys out from England to Melbourne to meet me for 3 weeks until we fly home together. I would love to up sticks and leave Bundaberg to Melbourne ASAP and get a full time job for 2 months to be able to save as much money as possible before my mom arrives. I don't know how possible this is?

Any advise would be grand as I really am in a rut at the moment!

thank you,

Bonnie

:)

Hi everyone, my name is Bonnie I'm 21 years old and am a British backpacker. I am currently stuck in Bundaberg doing my regional work, I'm not getting enough shifts to be able to save any money, in fact I'm losing money as I the rent is higher than what I am earning!

I have 8 weeks until my mom flys out from England to Melbourne to meet me for 3 weeks until we fly home together. I would love to up sticks and leave Bundaberg to Melbourne ASAP and get a full time job for 2 months to be able to save as much money as possible before my mom arrives. I don't know how possible this is?

Any advise would be grand as I really am in a rut at the moment!

thank you,

Bonnie

:)

Not really sure I understand you. What is stopping you going to Melbourne? Are you trying to do the regional work for your second WHV?

where are you working at the moment?what are you picking and are other backpackers in the same situation?

I'm currently staying at East Bundy backpackers, great hostel but there's just not enough work. I have been doing roughly 2/3 shifts a week varying from strawberry planting, weeding, ginger washing and sweet potato packing. The majority of the backpackers are in the same position. The only problem is money and time. Will cares/restaurants want to employ me when I'll only be there for 8 ish weeks??

Sorry for being unclear, my main worry is money. I have enough to get me to Melbourne and for the first 2 weeks rent/food. I just don't know what are the chances of someone employing me for only 8 weeks. I was trying to get my 2nd year visa by doing the farm work but I have collectively been in Bundaberg for 4 months (left for a month over Christmas and came back), so I have wasted a lot of time and money here for nothing as I have only done about 20 days farm work altogether.

Why do they have to know how long you are going to be working for them? If I was in your shoes I wouldn't say anything about how long you plan to work there for, most casual jobs have a high turnover of staff so they are used to it. If they ask just lie, a lot of people will tell lies at interviews to sell themselves. It's not like you will be wanting to go back to that place to ask for your job back

well the hostels dont want you to work 5-7 times a week because then you have enough money to leave and see the big cities. Rather you work 2-3 a week and spend all your money at there hostel.

As for being employed for 8 weeks, tell them you have your 2nd WHV and you will stay long term, then leave after 8 weeks saying family emergency . Its not a nice thing to do, but its always an option.

ive been in contact with a few hostels in bundaberg theyve been basically saying the season wont pick up for another few weeks.

Im planning on heading up the towards the end of April.

I actually spoke to East Bundy hostel and they said not to come just now as theres no work but ive to get in contact again in a few weeks when the predicted work is to start.

as for the work , you will be able to get temp work here in Melbourne ive had two temp jobs here, first one was for 6 weeks this one im in just now just keeps getting extended ive been here since end of January.

Edited by tonycrfc1