Kanika Sapra Tyagi

My TFN hasn't arrived yet !

Hi

I arrived in Melbourne on Marhch 1st. Applied for my Tax file number on 3rd March 2014. got a reference number .

But its been 21 days and i still havent received my TFN number. I called their office and they told me they can't locate my details in their system. Im worried if they still cant locate my file, im quite sure i wont get my TFN within 28 days which will complete on 31st March.

I have started workng and my first payroll is due on 4th April. I will be taxed at 46.5% if i dont give them my TFN by 3rd April.

This is so ridiculous on part of ATO. I heard my friends in OZ got their TFN within a week and here i am following up with them every week but they cant help until 28 days are over.

Please help and advice what should i Do.

Kanika

My sons TFN arrived 29 days after applying on line. They said the same when we rang after three weeks.

So many wineries ......so little time :yes:

Hi

I arrived in Melbourne on Marhch 1st. Applied for my Tax file number on 3rd March 2014. got a reference number .

But its been 21 days and i still havent received my TFN number. I called their office and they told me they can't locate my details in their system. Im worried if they still cant locate my file, im quite sure i wont get my TFN within 28 days which will complete on 31st March.

I have started workng and my first payroll is due on 4th April. I will be taxed at 46.5% if i dont give them my TFN by 3rd April.

This is so ridiculous on part of ATO. I heard my friends in OZ got their TFN within a week and here i am following up with them every week but they cant help until 28 days are over.

Please help and advice what should i Do.

Kanika

These things are going to happen from time to time, unfortunately it is you this time. No point in getting upset over something you cannot change, your tax will right itself in the end.

Well, I was able to call ATO and ask for my TFN directly after (about) 3 weeks. I provided my application reference number. They asked for some of my personal information to confirm my identity, then said that my TFN was ready and just read it back to me. The formal letter arrived to my address after more than 28 days.

I was taxed at the ridiculous 46.5% rate for 2 months myself. I knew how frustrated it was!

Edited by David Ng

Took them over 5 weeks to send mine. I didn't chase them about it.

chase them down. Mine took ten weeks and only arrived after I filed an official complaint

Millie

Visa: 475 regional GRANT 22/6/12, touchdown 4/11/12 . Applied 189 PR visa 13/11/14 Grant 20/1/15

chase them down. Mine took ten weeks and only arrived after I filed an official complaint

Millie

Welcome to Australia and always remember one thing..The ATO are there to bleed you dry..

Welcome to Australia and always remember one thing..The ATO are there to bleed you dry..

I was working over in the West recently on a contract and there were overseas workers on the same contract on 457 visas, living overseas, paying no tax in Australia or their home countries..Honestly dont worry about your tax file number..This country is a joke..

I was working over in the West recently on a contract and there were overseas workers on the same contract on 457 visas, living overseas, paying no tax in Australia or their home countries..Honestly dont worry about your tax file number..This country is a joke..

If they were working in Australia, having been admitted on a 457 visa, and employed by a company who I presume sponsored them, I don't understand how they were not paying tax? Wasn't the company deducting tax from their wages? Why wasn't the ATO bleeding THEM dry?

Were they being paid cash-in-hand? That would explain why no tax (and maybe no super contributions by their employer either) but if they were working officially I can't see how they would avoid paying tax?

Don't worry about getting a TFN? How can you work without one unless it's cash-in-hand, as I mentioned before. You may of course be able to work without a TFN if the ATO has not issued you with one. I don't know how that works, and how the tax works. But when you put your tax return in, you will either get money back if you have overpaid, or pay money to the ATO if you have underpaid.

PS you should 'dob' that company in to the ATO and DIAC.