Why do people want to rain on your parade?!

Katie22

Katie, whenever we visit family in WA at least one of their friends will ask when we plan to move over. There have been some real tumbleweed moments when we have tried to explain that we are actually quite happy with our life and lifestyle in the UK. Expressions flit from incomprehension, to shock to disbelief, in a matter of seconds.

But in the grand scheme of things it doesn’t matter. While Aus is a great holiday destination for us, it is not home, and everything that puts a spring in our step is here in the UK. Trying to explain that to some people can be difficult :wacko:, not least because they seem to take it as a criticism of their own life. But hey, I wouldn’t ask their opinion on what to wear, choose off a menu or call my dog, so why should I worry about their opinion on where I should live? Do what's right for you and ignore everything else. All the best, Tx

There are some nasty people in the world and it sounds like your co-worker is one of them, I have to say no-one rained on our parade and I do think to an extent it depends in part on how confident you are in your decision. Of course people asked us why we were moving back and once the answer was given (the extent to which depended on the relationship) no-one could really argue! We did have one friend who repeatedly & to be fair with humour did repeatedly say we'd be back with 12 months. Interestingly also a migrant but from Poland and actually had little good to say about Australia and I had lunch with his wife not long before we came back and she was very open in her envy - to the extent that we discussed their options in moving to the UK (as moving back to Poland wasn't an option they could contemplate), I do think his jokes were a way of coping.

However some people simply cannot see the good in the UK based on their experience generally in one place and they do genuinely believe you're mad. There is the odd person that posts on here where based on my experience I will stick my neck out and say they should think again about migrating to Australia. Am I right to? I don't know, we're all different afterall but my heart is in the right place - I want to make someone stop & think before making a dreadful mistake. I am not 'raining on their parade' and I would never comment negatively to someone absolutely certain themselves they were doing the right thing and excited about the next step even if I secretly wondered if it would work out for them.

After 12 years in Australia and finally making the decision to return to UK has lifted a massive weight off of my shoulders that I've been carrying around for so long. I could have gone back many years ago but circumstances haven't let me but now I'm at a point in my life when I can do it and rather than living with regret, I'm going to do it - if it works out then brilliant, if not, well life is full of ups and downs and no one ever gets anywhere without taking risks.

So decision made, and one I'm 100% happy with along with my close family but why do other people want to question me and constantly tell me I'm doing the wrong thing? Yesterday was nearly the final straw after many of them when a work colleague (who's an English migrant too) said "what the hell are you doing that for, you'll be back after 6 months"! I was so angry:arghh: and much to her surprise (she's an exceedingly dominant character and I'm quite passive!) I politely reminded her that she has the financial freedom to travel back to the UK and Europe every year so it really cannot be quite that bad then can it, or she'd be spending her holidays in Australia wouldn't she?

Ok, the UK has it's problems, social deprivation, unemployment.....the list goes on but so does Australia and I've witnessed that with my son becoming involved in the growing teenage drug culture here - yes Australian teenagers take drugs too! I have always tried to not compare between the two countries as believed that just fuels your unhappiness but sometimes hearing how wonderful it is here compared to the UK really bugs me!

Crikey, got that off my chest - thanks POZ!

I haven't read everyone's comments, but I just wanted to say... Since 2006 we have moved from UK to Australia & back again 3 times. We are now preparing to move back to Australia again. We have had a lot of critisism at times from friends and from family and that has been the hardest part about each move. But what we have learnt from it is we are doing what we feel is right for us at the time, and that is always the right thing to do. Sometimes its not worked out the way we hoped, but we have learnt that our own way and taken the positives from it. Other times it has been the perfect choice -and either way we have grown from our choices and have great memories. You need to do what you feel is right otherwise you will be the one who will suffer the regret.. not someone else.

We have family in both countries and haven't been blessed financially to be able to visit when in the other country, so we have chosen to sell our belongings each time (which basically cover the flights) and start again. The last time we did it because my dad in UK had a qudruple heart by pass and a stroke. Now he's got the support he needs we are free to go back. Its the right choice for us, and for those that love us, they respect that. Hope this has helped x

[/color]

[/b]Good post Ghost, you've been awol a while?!

The highlighted bits i agree with..I think for ping pongers...it can often be a curse to have ever come here for the first highlighted reason.

Hi happyheart

i don't visit the forums very often, but I occasionally come back to see if I have any words of wisdom I can offer some unhappy soul.

good luck and enjoy the journey. England's so much nicer when you've been away from her for a while.

And that right there is why I'm grateful to Oz. instead of whiling away my twilight years wishing I was living in a sub tropical paradise, I'll be enjoying a brisk walk on the downs, a lovely pint of beer down my local, reading proper newspapers (no it's not the same online) but mostly just enjoying the company of family and close friends. Can't wait.