You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Perthbum

OK you are the judge...

Lot of debate about prison terms......you are the judge....no guidelines.....minimum sentences for these crimes would you give

Rape.

Murder.

Manslaughter.

Tax Evasion by a bricklayer.....£2000 per annum.

Tax Evasion by a Company boss £2000,000 per annum.

Theft of a bicycle

Theft of a chocolate bar.

Drink Driving no one is harmed.

Drink driving and a person is killed.

Drinking alcohol in a no drinking area.

16 year old sleeping with a 13 year old girlfriend

Punching a police officer.

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

Lot of debate about prison terms......you are the judge....no guidelines.....minimum sentences for these crimes would you give

These are my opinion of minimum sentences.

Rape. 10 years

Murder. Life (die in prison).

Manslaughter. Depends on circumstances, I guess minimum of 1yr.

Tax Evasion by a bricklayer.....£2000 per annum. Dunno.

Tax Evasion by a Company boss £2000,000 per annum. Dunno.

Theft of a bicycle. Fine and comm service

Theft of a chocolate bar. Slap on the wrist.

Drink Driving no one is harmed. 6 months jail and 12 months no licence.

Drink driving and a person is killed. Minimum of 10yrs.

Drinking alcohol in a no drinking area. A fine for first offence, larger fine and comm service multiple offences.

16 year old sleeping with a 13 year old girlfriend. Dunno.

Punching a police officer. 2yrs minimum.

What are yours?

Trying to get to Aus since 2008. Finally the end is in sight and we are starting to really plan.

Hubby, Paramedic.

Me, Adult Nursing student starting Sept 2018. 

These are my opinion of minimum sentences.

Rape. 10 years

Murder. Life (die in prison).

Manslaughter. Depends on circumstances, I guess minimum of 1yr.

Tax Evasion by a bricklayer.....£2000 per annum. Dunno.

Tax Evasion by a Company boss £2000,000 per annum. Dunno.

Theft of a bicycle. Fine and comm service

Theft of a chocolate bar. Slap on the wrist.

Drink Driving no one is harmed. 6 months jail and 12 months no licence.

Drink driving and a person is killed. Minimum of 10yrs.

Drinking alcohol in a no drinking area. A fine for first offence, larger fine and comm service multiple offences.

16 year old sleeping with a 13 year old girlfriend. Dunno.

Punching a police officer. 2yrs minimum.

What are yours?

interesting...some of yours I would go for, will post my thoughts in a while or it will just get into an argument.

It's all a bit black and white isn't it Perthbum.

Murder?

Drink driver kills your Mother while you are on holiday, you have 24 hours to think on it when you are coming home, you find the guy and kill him in a fit of rage. It's murder.

Life? or are there extenuating circumstances?

One man shoots another, is it murder? Is it murder if one of them is wearing a uniform? Or they both are?

I will leave the judging to those who want to do it, who are more familiar with the law and more qualified than myself. I don't think I could sleep at night with the worry of making the right decision.

Every case on its merits...apart from rape, then let the victim cut off the appendage with a rusty knife and stick it where the sun dont shine

Rape. 20 years UNLESS of a child then LIFE

Murder. LIFE

Manslaughter. 15 Years

Tax Evasion by a bricklayer.....£2000 per annum. 3 Years

Tax Evasion by a Company boss £2000,000 per annum. 5 Years

Theft of a bicycle 3 Months

Theft of a chocolate bar. 1 Week

Drink Driving no one is harmed. 3 Months

Drink driving and a person is killed. 10 Years

Drinking alcohol in a no drinking area. 3 Months

16 year old sleeping with a 13 year old girlfriend 6 Months

Punching a police officer. 1 Months

This was just quickly off the top of my head. Am I lenient?

Guest Andy

Rape.

Murder.

Manslaughter.

Theft of a bicycle

Just out of interest pb what sentence would you give a drug dealer?

Rape.

Murder.

Manslaughter.

Theft of a bicycle

What's your answers oh wise one?

Rape...10 years

Murder.....life.

Manslaughter."..30 years

Tax Evasion by a bricklayer.....£2000 per annum.....2 years.

Tax Evasion by a Company boss £2000,000 per annum....15 years

Theft of a bicycle ....community order

Theft of a chocolate bar.....warning

Drink Driving no one is harmed....driving ban...big fine

Drink driving and a person is killed....20 years.

Drinking alcohol in a no drinking area....warning

16 year old sleeping with a 13 year old girlfriend....warning and condoms

Punching a police officer.....3 months.

Edited by Perthbum

Rape.....................................................................................................Life, and castration

Murder...................................................................................................Hang

Manslaughter..........................................................................................10-20 depending on the circumstances

Tax Evasion by a bricklayer.....£2000 per annum............................................5 yrs

Tax Evasion by a Company boss £2000,000 per annum....................................5 yrs (it's the same crime)

Theft of a bicycle.....................................................................................12 months for first offence then 3 yrs for second offence etc etc

Theft of a chocolate bar............................................................................12 months for first offence then 3 yrs for second offence etc etc

Drink Driving no one is harmed.....................................................................6 year ban three years suspended for five years

Drink driving and a person is killed................................................................See murder!

Drinking alcohol in a no drinking area.............................................................Stocks

16 year old sleeping with a 13 year old girlfriend..............................................Difficult this one, technically it's rape, but consensual. Stocks maybe

Punching a police officer.............................................................................10 years

Life is about dreams, so believe, and make the dreams a reality.

As a judge I would have to take into account mitigating circumstances and in some of the cases a court trial with a Jury. There are so many factors that have to be taken into consideration in just about every case that there should be a massive range of sentencing a judge can hand down. Bit like the situation is at the moment.

One gripe I have with the law though is how long cases take to get to court. One of our friends sons was at the wrong end of a one punch attack over a year ago and the case is still waiting to get to court. Meantime the idiot who did the punching is still wondering around free.

Guest Andy
Rape.....................................................................................................Life, and castration

Murder...................................................................................................Hang

Manslaughter..........................................................................................10-20 depending on the circumstances

Tax Evasion by a bricklayer.....£2000 per annum............................................5 yrs

Tax Evasion by a Company boss £2000,000 per annum....................................5 yrs (it's the same crime)

Theft of a bicycle.....................................................................................12 months for first offence then 3 yrs for second offence etc etc

Theft of a chocolate bar............................................................................12 months for first offence then 3 yrs for second offence etc etc

Drink Driving no one is harmed.....................................................................6 year ban three years suspended for five years

Drink driving and a person is killed................................................................See murder!

Drinking alcohol in a no drinking area.............................................................Stocks

16 year old sleeping with a 13 year old girlfriend..............................................Difficult this one, technically it's rape, but consensual. Stocks maybe

Punching a police officer.............................................................................10 years

I was going to fill in my own but you have done it for me, thanks

Guest Andy

Rape...10 years

Murder.....life.

Manslaughter."..30 years

Tax Evasion by a bricklayer.....£2000 per annum.....2 years.

Tax Evasion by a Company boss £2000,000 per annum....15 years

Theft of a bicycle ....community order

Theft of a chocolate bar.....warning

Drink Driving no one is harmed....driving ban

Drink driving and a person is killed....2 years.

Drinking alcohol in a no drinking area....warning

16 year old sleeping with a 13 year old girlfriend....warning and condoms

Punching a police officer.....3 months.

You state here pb that the sentence for drink driving and killing someone should be 2 years yet on another thread that you started you said that same crime should carry a 20 year ssentence.

You also over the last few days seem to have been very lenient towards people committing horrendous crimes yet on another thread you started a while ago you stated that capital punishment should be reintroduced as you were sick of people getting away with awful crimes lightly

Also I am assuming looking at the above that if you had to sentence someone for drug dealing that the sentence would be fairly lenient yet on another thread you started you ask the question whether the death penalty should be bought in for drug dealing

Also if you think 3 months is ok for punching a police officer then you seriously have lost your mind

they would welcome you in many Arab countries.

You state here pb that the sentence for drink driving and killing someone should be 2 years yet on another thread that you started you said that same crime should carry a 20 year ssentence.

You also over the last few days seem to have been very lenient towards people committing horrendous crimes yet on another thread you started a while ago you stated that capital punishment should be reintroduced as you were sick of people getting away with awful crimes lightly

Also I am assuming looking at the above that if you had to sentence someone for drug dealing that the sentence would be fairly lenient yet on another thread you started you ask the question whether the death penalty should be bought in for drug dealing

Also if you think 3 months is ok for punching a police officer then you seriously have lost your mind

the 2 years was a typo....it is infact 20 years, thanks for pointing my mistake out.

they would welcome you in many Arab countries.

Funny you should say that, I worked in Saudi for Eighteen months, they have a very low crime rate there, I wonder why!

Life is about dreams, so believe, and make the dreams a reality.

Funny you should say that, I worked in Saudi for Eighteen months, they have a very low crime rate there, I wonder why!

So do Sweden, I wonder why.

Rape.......to age 70 or 10 years if over 60

Murder.......to age 70 or 10 years if over 60

Manslaughter.......minimum 5 years

Tax Evasion by a bricklayer.....£2000 per annum...........1 year

Tax Evasion by a Company boss £2000,000 per annum..........10 years

Theft of a bicycle ....fine & community service

Theft of a chocolate bar......community service

Drink Driving no one is harmed.......5 years

Drink driving and a person is killed......5 years

Drinking alcohol in a no drinking area....fine

16 year old sleeping with a 13 year old girlfriend......counseling (for both)

Punching a police officer .....1 year

in each case I am assuming first offense and no extenuating circumstances. Except in the last case I am also assuming the person is over 18

in each case I am assuming first offense and no extenuating circumstances. Except in the last case I am also assuming the person is over 18

Not bad, but 5 years drink driving no one is harmed is to much, a lot of people do not realise they are over the limit the morning after a session.

I think tax evasion penalties are a bit high on here, they seem to waste most of the money we give them anyway.....

Not bad, but 5 years drink driving no one is harmed is to much, a lot of people do not realise they are over the limit the morning after a session.

Not an easy task you set us!

I think I've tended to be harsh overall given my liberal views - these sentences would be lived out in Swedish- style prisons and my thought process was 'the worst possible example of the crime'.

I do think the crime should be judged by it's intent not it's consequence so see drink driving equal regardless of consequence & see killing someone in that circumstance as manslaughter so....

Not an easy task you set us!

I think I've tended to be harsh overall given my liberal views - these sentences would be lived out in Swedish- style prisons and my thought process was 'the worst possible example of the crime'.

I do think the crime should be judged by it's intent not it's consequence so see drink driving equal regardless of consequence & see killing someone in that circumstance as manslaughter so....

Good points....I do find you one of the people on here with some good reasoned intelligent thoughts unlike the flog em and hang em brigade who just grunt.

Edited by Perthbum

don't agree. I think they should be the same,the consequences could have been the same, except you didn't hit anybody, that's luck of the draw. You shouldn't get a lower sentence because you are lucky.

Just like attempted murder should carry the same sentence as murder.

Interesting, fraud of GBP 2 mil carries a twice the sentence than drink driving where someone is killed. Does that value a life at GBP 1 million?

Guest Guest66881

Rape. - castration and ten years

Murder.- life without parole or luxuries - meaning until you are dead.

Manslaughter.- 25 years without parole or luxuries

Tax Evasion by a bricklayer.....£2000 per annum.- £20000 fine and three years without parole

Tax Evasion by a Company boss £2000,000 per annum. - £150000 fine and three years without parole

Theft of a bicycle - if it belongs to one of the lycra set keep it, less of those dangerous wannabees around the better

Theft of a chocolate bar. - £100 fine

Drink Driving no one is harmed.- £5000 fine and retest after 2 year ban

Drink driving and a person is killed. - life without parole or luxuries

Drinking alcohol in a no drinking area. £100 fine

16 year old sleeping with a 13 year old girlfriend - 6 years without parole

Punching a police officer. - 2 years without parole and a community service order of 12 months with a £500 fine