Sell your car the last moment?

FOL

We sold one privately on auto trader I think it was. Sold it pretty cheap and could have sold it five times over. The other we sold to a second hand dealer about a week before leaving. A mate of my dad's organised it for us. For the rest of the time before we left my mum and (mostly) dad acted as the taxi service for us.

Thanks for the feedback people. We have two cars as well. So we will sell the more expensive one first. We'll start advertising 6 weeks before we leave. Hopefully they bite. Not sure what we have to do otherwise :S The cheap ass car, we'll bring it to a used car dealer I guess. Cheers

have you thought about advertising it on here?

you could maybe work something out with a new arrival that will take it just before you leave Oz.

Nice thought but they would have to be arriving at the right time and in the right location and be prepared to buy a car unseen. Could happen but unlikely.

We had three cars to sell, we sold an old Hyundai sonata two months before we left, the 2007 Toyota Camry three weeks and we were left with my 2003 Fairlane dual-fuel. The guy who bought it allowed us to keep it until the day we left, even offered to take us to the airport, just depends on the person, we got lucky, he was a diamond (although he got a real bargain). All on Gumtree.

Tony

Nice thought but they would have to be arriving at the right time and in the right location and be prepared to buy a car unseen. Could happen but unlikely.

don't agree with you there. there are still plenty of honest folk in this world and if you are open about everything and the price is right it isn't difficult to organize.

If the seller promises something and the car isn't as advertised, then it falls through, and the seller is stuck with a car just before they leave.

have you thought about advertising it on here?

you could maybe work something out with a new arrival that will take it just before you leave Oz.

Interesting idea. Especially because it is a cheap car. That doesn't mean it's bad. Absolutely not. It's just not a very big car and isn't the newest. But if we would have stayed, I would have driven in it myself for years to come.

I'll keep it in the back of my mind :) Together with gumtree and a used car dealership.