186 Direct Entry - ACS Skill Level Met Date and 3 years experience requirements from DIBP

Hi,

I've just been working in Australia for some months (since January) on a 457 in ICT. My employer is willing to sponsor me on a PR Visa, so I'm thinking of applying for a 186 VISA Direct Entry. This way I won't have to wait for another 2 years.

I have read all the information on DIBP website about 186 Direct Entry visa. It looks like I meet all the requirements. Still I'm being confused about the newly introduced Skill Level Met Date with the 3 year experience requirement from DIBP.

Here's a screenshot from DIBP's website:

skill-requirement.png

I had an Advanced Diploma in Jan 2008. I have been working continuously since April 2008 till now, through 3 different employers (including the current one). I lodged an ACS skill assessment last week and hopefully will get a positive result. In total, I'll have roughly more than 5 years of experience.

If 3 years of relevant work experience mentioned by DIBP is calculated from the Skill Level Met Date then I'm not eligible anymore... Can anybody shred some lights on this? Thank you very much.

skill-requirement.png

• 1 month later...

I have received my ACS Skill Assessment, and it was suitable

I'm not sure if I'm good to head on with a 186 VISA, attach is the result letter from ACS:

acs-skills.jpg

The reason: although ACS thinks that my skills were suitable, only the employment after May 2013 (after 5 years of experience) is considered to equate to work at an appropriately skilled level...

Although the 186 VISA said nothing about the skilled level met date except a requirement for 3 year experience, I'm not sure if DIBP will consider all my years of experience, or just the period after ACS's skilled level date.

I'm really appreciate if anyone can help. I don't want to gamble the VISA fee... Thank you very much!

acs-skills.jpg

Thanks blossom79.

I have a closer look at the ACS Guidelines, there's a sentence that define what is "relevant work experience"

The term “Relevant work experience” means work experience which is closely related to the nominated

occupation (ANZSCO) and performed at a professional ICT level

And according to the Suitability Criteria, I would need 5 years of relevant work experience in order to get a suitable result. I might be safe to think that relevant work experience is all the years I have spent on my professional. It is different from the "skilled employment" which would be eligible for skilled migration points test.

from ACS guidelines:

skilled employment: all relevant work experience after skill level requirement met date

• 3 months later...
I might be safe to think that relevant work experience is all the years I have spent on my professional.

I had a double check on ACS Skills Assessment Guidelines. It seems you are correct on relevant work experience. Apart from that, since you also have got a positive assessment, I don't see any issues.

Good luck with your application!!!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

The legislation relating to eligibility for a Direct Entry 186 states : "the applicant has been employed in the occupation for at least 3 years on a full-time basis and at the level of skill required for the occupation". My reading of that is that the experience would be taken from the ACS Skill Level met date.

You should consult a good RMA before you go any further. A brief consultation with an experienced agent won't cost nearly as much as the $3520 you'll lose if you apply for a 186 without meeting the 3 years experience requirement.

Edited by Ozmaniac

• 1 month later...
The legislation relating to eligibility for a Direct Entry 186 states : "the applicant has been employed in the occupation for at least 3 years on a full-time basis and at the level of skill required for the occupation". My reading of that is that the experience would be taken from the ACS Skill Level met date.

You should consult a good RMA before you go any further. A brief consultation with an experienced agent won't cost nearly as much as the $3520 you'll lose if you apply for a 186 without meeting the 3 years experience requirement.

G'day mate! Sorry to say that you were wrong. The fact that I'm a PR now proved my points below:

Years of experience: all the years you have spent on your occupation

Years which are qualify for points (only if you need points!): all the years after your skill level met date.

Personally, I think Australia Government is pretty transparent on the required information for each VISA class. MA is just a waste of money if you are able to crawl through all the publicly published documents of the Government (I must admit that it's not easy though, lots of documents spread amongst different Government department websites and locations...). And if you are going to allow some people/organisations to be the middle-men (MA) of probably one of the biggest decisions in your life, make sure you choose the right one.

Cheers!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi David,

I am now waiting the results from ACS, and my situation is similar, is it possible to send me your e mail?

I have 8.5 years of experience but only 2 years of experience after graduation and it is 20 hours per week and I am currently holding the 457 Visa so I have a sponsor. Do you think I could apply for the 186 direct entry?

Thanks

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

We will soon apply for the 186 direct entry and we were in the same situation. Vetassess took 3 yrs exp to calculate the required skilled level for the skill assessment, leaving only 1.8 yrs for point test advice on the outcome letter. With what I just read here, this will definitely not affect the visa application since DIBP will not take into consideration the point test advice. Hope this is clear for everyone. Cheers

• 1 year later...
On 07/06/2017 at 22:18, JonnyP said:

We will soon apply for the 186 direct entry and we were in the same situation. Vetassess took 3 yrs exp to calculate the required skilled level for the skill assessment, leaving only 1.8 yrs for point test advice on the outcome letter. With what I just read here, this will definitely not affect the visa application since DIBP will not take into consideration the point test advice. Hope this is clear for everyone. Cheers

Hi Jonny, how was your application? I have the same situation and I’m going to apply for ENS. Thank you.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi all,

im in the same situation, thought I had 2 yrs Indian experience 3 years Australian experience ACS has deducted 4 yrs as my education and experience are not relevant to each other. But I have received positive assessment. Can anyone please confirm if this is fine with DHA.

thanks 

• 6 months later...

Hi All, 

I am in the same situation, I have 2.5-year experience in India. 2 year part-time and 1-year full-time experience in Australia. ACS has deducted my 2 years of experience from India. So for visa 186 do they count my whole experience including experience that ACS has deducted or only from the ACS skill assessment met to date?

@Divya Did you received any positive feedback or still are you in progress?

Please do let me know the result if someone has the same situation?

Thanks,