A few questions about Albany & Denmark, WA

Maz08

I am interested in the Albany/Denmark area. Here are my questions: What is the winter weather like? Is it cold? Or is it warm compared to Melbourne and Sydney during the winter.

Also, is Anvil Beach a safe beach for swimming (with kids) and also surfing for beginners older children learning to surf. Is it a surf beach overall.

What is the community surrounding Anvil Beach like? :yes:

I know Albany very well. The weather is close on perfect for me. Yes it can get coldish in winter, I'd say warmer than Melbourne overall, but the graphs will show you the exact difference. Summers are great there. Lovely beaches but don't know Anvil Beach. I guess it's nearer Denmark?

Main issue there are jobs though. If that is not a concern pretty nice spot to be. Folk can be a little reticent at least in the beginning. Quiet compared to Melbourne though.

I am interested in the Albany/Denmark area. Here are my questions: What is the winter weather like? Is it cold? Or is it warm compared to Melbourne and Sydney during the winter.

Also, is Anvil Beach a safe beach for swimming (with kids) and also surfing for beginners older children learning to surf. Is it a surf beach overall.

What is the community surrounding Anvil Beach like? :yes:

Both places are absolutely beautiful. Denmark is more of a village, has that feel, whilst Albany is a thriving seaside town. Yes, it is chilly in the Winter, but then probably similar to Melbourne.

There are so many beautiful beaches around Albany and Denmark. I actually don't know the beach you are referring to, but be assured you will have too many to choose from should you move there - both surf and calm.

The communities in both places are wonderful and ideal for families.

If I was to return to that region, in my opinion one of the best in Australia, it would only be to either run a business(tricky) or retirement. There is quite a degree of social issues within the Albany region. The reason for this is that traditionally it was a working class town. Almost all the former industry has closed down. Even though it has been some time a number of folk were unable to locate for whatever reason.

Albany today is a service city with more accountants and lawyers and real estate offices than you can poke a stick at. Prices are up there with the metro area in dining out and boozing as well.

I love Middleton Beach. One of my favourite OZ beaches. Firm sand ideal for walking/running on. Early morning swims down there...great. Some great walks. Shades of the Cornish Coast. All in all a very desirable area but for the walk. I know a great Indian restaurant down there as well.

Nicest town on the coast. I like Denmark, but too small to live and expensive these days as well. If the issues mentioned don't pose an issue to you I would certainly move there without too many qualms. It is cliquey though but that applies to many places.

• 2 months later...

Ocean Beach in Denmark is one of my favourite beaches. Great to learn to surf, waves break out a long way and don't dump like the beaches round Perth. You can have a long ride with sand underneath you once you learn to get up. Might be a bit big surf for small kids but you have to be careful with young kids and water wherever you go in Aus.

Winters are a lot cooler and wetter than Perth but might be on a par or even better than Melbourne. I like both places for a couple of weeks get away but don't know whether I would choose to live there. I prefer being near Perth and Freo and still be near a really nice beach.

Guest km75

My cousin has just sold her house in Denmark and has bought a new house in Albany, she loves it there (she grew up in Perth). Her husband is a chef and she works in a government office. I have visited a couple of times, it was cold and wet one time and glorious the other! Beautiful part of the world for sure.

• 4 years later...
23 minutes ago, dartyunna said:

Very expensive boring  Nicknamed "the 10 year hole" because before you know it ' your old and achieved nothing 😕

Welcome to the forum - sadly this thread is 4 years old - the OP probably got their answer a while ago