contributary parent visa

Guest smiley grandma

Just the kind of news to add to this wet and windy day, did a transfer to $s this weekend and got $1.70 to £.

So in just 2 months the good old £ has drop by 15 cents to the offical Oz visa payment exchange rate set for the 6 months until July 2010.

You can now pay in London in £s for the same cost as $s in Perth if you choose to.

• Replies 776
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can anyone answer a query on a Contributory 143 visa. If you enter Australia on a 143 with the liability of not being able to access the benefit system for 10 years would becoming a citizen within the 10 years cancel the visa restrictions and give access to the system as an Australian? In other words be able to accesss the system if help was needed.

Can anyone answer a query on a Contributory 143 visa. If you enter Australia on a 143 with the liability of not being able to access the benefit system for 10 years would becoming a citizen within the 10 years cancel the visa restrictions and give access to the system as an Australian? In other words be able to accesss the system if help was needed.

Great question. I'll bet they've got that one covered in a piece of dusty legislation somewhere....

Sorry - what benefit system can you not access for 10 years?

Best regards.

Steve,

The question was asked by yomyard.

Les

Sorry Les, I realised that a few minutes later.

I was saying, I interpreted the question to relate to Aged pensions and the clawback from the Bond and then from the assurer for other benefits, but perhaps yomvard was referring to something else.

Cheers

Steve

14000 dollars (for two people) has to be lodged with Centre Link so that if we need any help, I assume any benfits, like disability allowances or any other government benefits then the amount is taken from this and if any more help is needed, over this amount then this has to come from the sponsor. So basically,even though we have paid all this money to buy the visa, if we get into any problems, loosing jobs, etc. then we are all on our own. I wondered if we became citizens within the 10years, then could we not have the same rights to help if needed as an Australian citizen or would the terms of the 143 prevent this until the 10years are up.

regards

sandy

Sandy,

I don't follow what you are saying. So far as I know (and I am happy to be corrected) Centrelink benefits are payable whether you are a permanent resident or a citizen, after a qualifying period of 2 years.

If you make any claims on eligible benefits CL will then seek to recover the claimed amount under the AoS, firstly from the Commonwealth Bank of Australia under the bank guarantee (which is provided in return for the $10k plus $4k paid prior to visa grant), and then directly from the Assurer.

As most of these benefits are means tested it is improbable that most migrating Brits will be in a position to make a successful claim.

Or am I missing something ...?

Best regards.

i am severely disabled and have the DLA here which of course I will loose if the visa is granted and we move toAus to be with the children. I understand that there is an equivalent disability benefit which I could claim after 10 years, maybe I have this wrong. This is not means tested here but is it in Aus?

Sandy

have already passed the meds but they expire in May so i have to retake them again. I frontloaded them last year as there was some doubt whether i would be eligiable, but they passed me within a week of receiving them. i have not detereorated at all and have stable MS since 1970.

cheers

Sandy

Guest austibeach

We have a Case Officer !!!!!...............at long last we are on the move, although I'm still not sure whether to laugh or cry, given the state of the exchange rate. With 28 days to provide the final pieces of the jigsaw, i.e. police checks, medicals etc. , and make sure that it all arrives with DIAC in time, the pressure is on. At least we have reached the point that so many others are wishing they were at.

Eric.

We have a Case Officer !!!!!...............at long last we are on the move, although I'm still not sure whether to laugh or cry, given the state of the exchange rate. With 28 days to provide the final pieces of the jigsaw, i.e. police checks, medicals etc. , and make sure that it all arrives with DIAC in time, the pressure is on. At least we have reached the point that so many others are wishing they were at.

Eric.

Hi Eric,

Congratulations on getting your case officer, like us you will find that things move a lot faster now.

Not sure that you have been told the right number of days to to provide medicals and poice checks, we were given 49 days, and we were given an extention on that because of a problem getting the Aos in place.

Best wishes and good luck

Les & Babs:biggrin::biggrin:

Guest austibeach

Thanks for the congratulations Les & Babs, 49 days would suit us a lot better, but the letter/e-mail I have just received from our Case Officer clearly states 28 days. I am curious as to why there is such a difference, but I guess we will just have to comply with the request, although now that we have to travel to Cardiff for our medicals, it does rather put some pressure on us to arrange this.

Eric.

Guest Gollywobbler
Thanks for the congratulations Les & Babs, 49 days would suit us a lot better, but the letter/e-mail I have just received from our Case Officer clearly states 28 days. I am curious as to why there is such a difference, but I guess we will just have to comply with the request, although now that we have to travel to Cardiff for our medicals, it does rather put some pressure on us to arrange this.

Eric.

Hi Eric

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! :jiggy:

It is a dreadfully awkward time with such a low exchange rate etc but it sounds like the PVC want to get your CPVs granted and out of the way before 30th June 2010 if possible.

If more time would be useful, then ask for it. Explain why it would be useful and then make an outright request, I suggest. In the UK we have Easter and the Easter School Holidays coming up, plus whatever the Bank Holday at the beginning of May is called. Christmas and New Year were so difficult for everybody with unexpected snowfalls and unusually cold, filthy weather that a LOT of people abandoned their Christmas & New Year plans because of the risks. What would have been dangerous journeys back then will be much easier over Easter and the beginning of May.

People who live in Perth shiver - even in their current heatwave - if you mention cold, snow and dangers, so you may wish to think about laying it on with a shovel. It ought to do the trick......

You could also point out that other CPV applicants who live in the UK have been given 49 days at each stage of the process.

I would also prepare the CO at this stage for the idea that you are watching the Sterling/AUD exchange rate like a hawk because it might become worth your while to pay the 2nd Instalment in sterling, via the Australian HC in London. If the CO has not dealt with that before, now would be a good time for the CO to investigate the machinery for doing it.

By the way, I haven't a clue when Easter Day is in 2010. Do you know when it is by any chance? I have a vague feeling that it is an early Easter in 2010 but I am not sure.

Cheers

Gill

Hi Just to let you know that I am grandma hoping to come over to Perth .

My daughter and family are waiting to sell their house and will be off asap, we all went on a recce last October and loved it. I will be going on a holiday visa for 12 months initially and been told that it can be extended another 12 months just have to go on a short holiday out of Aus. I understand that it is usually 2years before a permanent visa will come through. Hope this helps. All us grandmas will have to meet up when we get settled

Hi Eric

COBGRATULATIONS!!!!! :jiggy:

It is a dreadfully awkward time with such a low exchange rate etc but it sounds like the PVC want to get your CPVs granted and out of the way before 30th June 2010 if possible.

If more time would be useful, then ask for it. Explain why it would be useful and then make an outright request, I suggest. In the UK we have Easter and the Easter School Holidays coming up, plus whatever the Bank Holday at the beginning of May is called. Christmas and New Year were so difficult for everybody with unexpected snowfalls and unusually cold, filthy weather that a LOT of people abandoned their Christmas & New Year plans because of the risks. What would have been dangerous journeys back then will be much easier over Easter and the beginning of May.

People who live in Perth shiver - even in their current heatwave - if you mention cold, snow and dangers, so you may wish to think about laying it on with a shovel. It ought to do the trick......

You could also point out that other CPV applicants who live in the UK have been given 49 days at each stage of the process.

I would also prepare the CO at this stage for the idea that you are watching the Sterling/AUD exchange rate like a hawk because it might become worth your while to pay the 2nd Instalment in sterling, via the Australian HC in London. If the CO has not dealt with that before, now would be a good time for the CO to investigate the machinery for doing it.

By the way, I haven't a clue when Easter Day is in 2010. Do you know when it is by any chance? I have a vague feeling that it is an early Easter in 2010 but I am not sure.

Cheers

Gill

Hi Gill

As usual with you lots of sensible suggestions, especially about forewarning the CO that 2nd vac payment may be made in the UK.

IMHO at the current exchange rates this is the best option as the rate is static until 01/07/10 so you can send off your UK bankers draft for the correct amount to London.

You do not have to worry that the amount you have preloaded your credit card with will be enough on the day that Perth takes the money.

I would agree that more time (49 days) would help as you mentioned Easter with 2 BH days 2nd and 5th April, plus end of tax year and start of ISA season will mean banks in the UK will grind slowly along.

Regards

Les

• 1 month later...
Guest austibeach

Finally we have been asked for our 2nd VAC payment . So in theory we have one more hurdle to clear and we can start to make the move down under. It has seemed like a lifetime of waiting but I'm sure once we are back with our family in Australia, it will have all been worth the wait.

I'm not one for jumping up and down with joy whenever a good bit of good news comes my way, but I think I may well have a mini-celebration this evening, as even getting to this stage has been long and arduous, so I reckon I deserve it.......poor Wendy can't drink alcohol so she will have make do with something softer.

Although I have been too busy of late to contribute in any of the threads recently, I have been monitoring the situation from afar and I am eternally grateful for all of the useful information given by so many, but in particular by Gill, who has been immense in her efforts to keep everyone informed and I will always consider her a good friend.

Good luck to all of you still awaiting a case officer, but believe me, time will fly once you do.

Eric.

• 3 months later...
Hello Jorgon .................

Well done for getting your visas and getting the validation bit out of the way!!

Do you have any plans to move to Oz permenently any time soon? If so, where to?

Best wishes

Gill

Hi Gill

The above was from your message 10 September 2008, so the answer to your question was "no". For personal reasons we delayed another couple of years - but now we are ready to go - we have accepted an offer for our house and it looks as though we are finally going to make it to Oz (Brisbane) by mid October 2010!

It's been a really long haul, and I am sure is the right decision. I recently came "out" at work and you should have seen the jealous looks on their faces.

No more strap hanging on the tube, no more sweaty armpits, no more muggy afternoons, no more glum faces, no more aggression on the road! The Gold Coast here I come with my board!

Is this true?

Hi Gill

The above was from your message 10 September 2008, so the answer to your question was "no". For personal reasons we delayed another couple of years - but now we are ready to go - we have accepted an offer for our house and it looks as though we are finally going to make it to Oz (Brisbane) by mid October 2010!

It's been a really long haul, and I am sure is the right decision. I recently came "out" at work and you should have seen the jealous looks on their faces.

No more strap hanging on the tube, no more sweaty armpits, no more muggy afternoons, no more glum faces, no more aggression on the road! The Gold Coast here I come with my board!

Is this true?

Hi jorgon,

The main thread that is active for all CPVs is now this one:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/77756-brand-new-pio-parents-visa-thread-41.html#post835164

You should find Gill and friends on there:biggrin:

Good news for the Gold Coast, if that's true. :wideeyed:

Regards

• 3 weeks later...
Guest mollymoog

Hi. new to all this...joined today. anyone know if I can withdraw my CPV AFTER paying the 2nd VAC please. HELP!!! would be much appreciated. mollymoog

Archived