contributary parent visa

Guest smiley grandma

• Replies 776
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Les

OK, 60 year old single Mum lumbered with Condition 8503. Assuming that both children have lived in Oz for long enough to have become properly "settled", the first one to get PR can sponsor Mum for an offshore CPV 143 or 173.

Mum will have to be outside Australia at the time when the CPV 143 application is lodged with DIAC and it will not be a valid application unless it is sent to the Parents Visa Centre which as you know is in Perth.

If the sc 676 is valid for multiple entry, Mum could go to somewhere like Fiji for a couple of weeks whilst the CPV application is delivered to the PVC by a reliable courier. Then she could return to Oz till March 2010, when she must leave because the sc 676 will expire.

Common sense suggests waiting till Mum has had to leave Oz anyway in March 2010 and applying for the CPV whilst she is outside Oz. She can then apply for another sc 676 but she should NOT rely on the notion that Condition 8503 will not be imposed on the new sc 676. It might be imposed and if it is there is nothing that Mum will be able to do about it except live with it.

This is a case where Mum might have been better off getting a Student Visa two years ago. Sure that would have involved tuition fees at International rates at least for a while but teh TAFEs are sometimes generous in this situation. A Student visa would have enabled Mum to work part time as well, to defray and probably pay the tuition fees in full.

She cannot switch to a Student visa at this stage because Condition 8503 will prevent it. I would say it won't be worth getting a student visa instead of a sc 676 at this stage or from here onwards because much of the wait for a CPV is now over anyway.

Cheers

Gill

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Just to let you all know that John and Evelyn (otherwise known as 'JEWATT') finally headed off for their new life in Oz yesterday after managing to sell the house.

Just like to wish them all the best and we should hopefully get an update soon,

Liz x

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Liz

Thanks so much for this update. It is good to hear when everything comes together, is finalised here and people can head off to start their new lives.

Have you made any decisions about your own plans, hun?

Hugs

Gill

xx

Hi Gill

Still not made my mind up! Over a year since I put in CPV application and I have a feeling they will be back with a CO in the next couple of months. Still need to decide whether to switch to temporary CPV and that would delay things a couple of years while I wait on a possible redundancy/early retirement package that may never come or cancel and re-start an application for the long wait visa!

Managed to meet up with Evelyn and John for lunch before they left and had a smashing afternoon with them. Felt like we'd known each other for years. Nearly got our cars locked in the car park we were so busy chatting we didn't realise everything was closing round about us!

How are things with you? You going out to visit you mum and sister this year?

Liz x

Great News very pleased for you smiley grandma

hope you are all soon living the dream

A little dissapointed myself have just been told application in receit of DIAC but can take up to

2 yrs they are now only dealing with June 2007

Afraid a very long tunnel for us

bush

Great News very pleased for you smiley grandma

hope you are all soon living the dream

A little dissapointed myself have just been told application in receit of DIAC but can take up to

bush

:confused:

Are you referring to the CPV visa 143 & 173 subclass? They're currently working on March 08 applications. June 07 applicants? Long departed for Oz!

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi bush

I agree with Sandch. Do you have the acknowledgement letter from the Parents Visa Centre? If so, is there a mistake in it? If you have applied for either CPV 143s or 173s the ack letter will say that they are currently starting the final processing with applications received in March 2008-ish.

The period between the PVC acknowledging receipt and the PVC making contact again to start the final processing is about 15 months and it is expected to reduce, not to increase. They might be up to final processing with applications received in June 2008, even, because an extra 1,000 visas were added to the quota on 1st July 2009 with the aim of reducing the wait down to about 12 months from start to finish. The Minister thinks that keeping CPV applicants waiting for 18 months or more is unreasonable. I agree with him.

Cheers

Gill

Guest jackie57

Hi Gill

I applied for CPV last January & it was acknowledged in April 08 and have heard nothing, I keep nudging my migration agent for info but he tells me I have at least another 2months wait until I hear anything !! I have gained valuable info through reading this site, and wondered if I may ask a question..... I have a daughter living in Oz, I am waiting for my CPV and I have a daughter in the UK

would it be possible to get my UK daughter and her long term partner over to Oz to live, they are not skilled just hardworkers

Regards

Jackie

Guest ancpar

Hi Gill

Good news from our agent today, CPV143 Lodged 17/06/09 acknowledged by DIAC/PVC 23/06/09.Advised current processing 18/03/08 applications.

Lets hope for improvement !!!!

Pat & John

CPV143 Lodged 17/06/09,Acknowledged 23/06/09. Police checks and Medicals already in place.

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Jackie57

With regard to the timeline for your own visa, I can do no more than point you to ancpar's latest news. By the end of June 2009 they were processing applications received in mid-march 2008. I think your agent is being unduly pessimistic so as not to get your hopes up too much. Which is understandable but you may be pleasantly surprised soon.

The PVC are not like other DIAC processing units. If you phone them yourself they will be happy to discuss your application with you regardless of your agent's involvement. I would suggest that you phone the PVC and ask when you are likely to hear something more. Ask them to confirm the date on which the application was lodged with them. If you have slipped under their radar - which does happen occasionally - this will put you back on the screen!

Parent Visa Centre

Perth time is 7 hours ahead of UK local time at present.

would it be possible to get my UK daughter and her long term partner over to Oz to live, they are not skilled just hardworkers

How old is each of them and what are their occupations, please?

Can you or they find their occupations on the list below?

A-Z Occupations List - Australian Skills Recognition Information

For the minute, don't worry about qualifications. More occupations are officially classified as being skilled work nowadays than you might know!

Do they have any children, please? If so, how many and how old are the children?

Whereabouts in Oz does your other daughter live? Presumably you will be joining her there and second daughter would want to join you there too?

The reason why I am asking these questions is to work out what skilled visas they might be eligible for. If none, the option of a Student Visa exists and depending on the age of the Student and affordability, it can be a pathway to Permanent Residency.

Please could you help me out with the answers to my queries so that I can help you to develop a genuine feel for the possibilities?

Many thanks

Gill

Guest jackie57
Hi Jackie57

With regard to the timeline for your own visa, I can do no more than point you to ancpar's latest news. By the end of June 2009 they were processing applications received in mid-march 2008. I think your agent is being unduly pessimistic so as not to get your hopes up too much. Which is understandable but you may be pleasantly surprised soon.

The PVC are not like other DIAC processing units. If you phone them yourself they will be happy to discuss your application with you regardless of your agent's involvement. I would suggest that you phone the PVC and ask when you are likely to hear something more. Ask them to confirm the date on which the application was lodged with them. If you have slipped under their radar - which does happen occasionally - this will put you back on the screen!

Parent Visa Centre

Perth time is 7 hours ahead of UK local time at present.

How old is each of them and what are their occupations, please?

Can you or they find their occupations on the list below?

A-Z Occupations List - Australian Skills Recognition Information

For the minute, don't worry about qualifications. More occupations are officially classified as being skilled work nowadays than you might know!

Do they have any children, please? If so, how many and how old are the children?

Whereabouts in Oz does your other daughter live? Presumably you will be joining her there and second daughter would want to join you there too?

The reason why I am asking these questions is to work out what skilled visas they might be eligible for. If none, the option of a Student Visa exists and depending on the age of the Student and affordability, it can be a pathway to Permanent Residency.

Please could you help me out with the answers to my queries so that I can help you to develop a genuine feel for the possibilities?

Many thanks

Gill

Hi Gill

I am new to this and hope you get this reply . My daughter in Oz lives in Port Macquarie NSW and yes I will be hopefully staying with her untill I find my feet. My daughter and her partner here are 28 & 34 she is in retail (she works for H&M clothing stores) she was once a manager there but had to take a step down and work on the shop floor after her maternity leave. Karl is a laborour, they have a 3 year old son.

There is a possibility of a job for him in the plant that my Australian son in law works, but there are no guarantees.

Thank you so much for your help, and reassurances...You are a star

Kind Regards

Jackie

Hi,

My parents are in the process of applying for their CPV which was acknowledged in Feb 2009. All going well we are hoping they will get their visa roughly this time next year.

They are planning to leave the UK in November this year to go to Oz and stay with my sister.

My question relates to what visa they should get in November this year:

Should they go out on a 3 month ETA tourist visa and try and get it extended? Or

Should they pay more and apply for a 12 month e-Tourist Visa?

Thoughts appreciated as to the best option.

Thanks.

Frizz

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Frizz

The best bet - by a mile - is for them to get a 12 month subclass 676 visa before they leave the UK.

Tourist Visa (Subclass 676)

The best way to apply for it when a CPV application is in the system is to apply via the old-fashioned paper & post method, using Form 48. It only takes a fortnight or so to get the visas in September/October/November. There is no point in applying for the sc 676 visas until shortly before they are needed.

Doing it the old fashioned way and sending the application to Australia House in London is that a human with a brain will deal with the whole thing instead of the brainless DIAC computer.

They should send a covering letter with the sc 676 applications, enclosing a copy of the acknowledgement letter for their CPV application. They should explain that they understand that they will have to leave Oz for a while in order that the CPVs can be granted but they would be very grateful if they could be permitted to do most of the remainder of their waiting out in Oz. Tick the box for a 12 month stay.

DIAC in London now have lots of experience of CPV applicants requesting long stay tourist visas and they tend to bend over backwards to help. They certainly treated my mother as an honourary Aussie when we did the same thing for her. I was most impressed by their kindness and concern for her.

The trouble with using the e-visa system is that the visa processing clerks out in Oz - if they see the application with human eyes at all - are most unlikely to have a clue what a CPV is. The DIAC team in London is quite small and very experienced. Thus they are more helpful as well.

Remember to tell Mum & Dad to use Special Delivery both ways to protect their passports.

The payment mandate for applications via London is here:

http://www.uk.embassy.gov.au/lhlh/files/0013%5fPayment%20Mandate%2epdf

How old are Mum & Dad, please? There may be a couple of additional steps that they need to take concerning meds.

Cheers

Gill

Hi Frizz

The best bet - by a mile - is for them to get a 12 month subclass 676 visa before they leave the UK.

Tourist Visa (Subclass 676)

The best way to apply for it when a CPV application is in the system is to apply via the old-fashioned paper & post method, using Form 48. It only takes a fortnight or so to get the visas in September/October/November. There is no point in applying for the sc 676 visas until shortly before they are needed.

Doing it the old fashioned way and sending the application to Australia House in London is that a human with a brain will deal with the whole thing instead of the brainless DIAC computer.

They should send a covering letter with the sc 676 applications, enclosing a copy of the acknowledgement letter for their CPV application. They should explain that they understand that they will have to leave Oz for a while in order that the CPVs can be granted but they would be very grateful if they could be permitted to do most of the remainder of their waiting out in Oz. Tick the box for a 12 month stay.

DIAC in London now have lots of experience of CPV applicants requesting long stay tourist visas and they tend to bend over backwards to help. They certainly treated my mother as an honourary Aussie when we did the same thing for her. I was most impressed by their kindness and concern for her.

The trouble with using the e-visa system is that the visa processing clerks out in Oz - if they see the application with human eyes at all - are most unlikely to have a clue what a CPV is. The DIAC team in London is quite small and very experienced. Thus they are more helpful as well.

Remember to tell Mum & Dad to use Special Delivery both ways to protect their passports.

The payment mandate for applications via London is here:

http://www.uk.embassy.gov.au/lhlh/files/0013%5fPayment%20Mandate%2epdf

How old are Mum & Dad, please? There may be a couple of additional steps that they need to take concerning meds.

Cheers

Gill

Gill, as always huge thanks. They are aged 64 and 69.

Frizz

Guest Gollywobbler
Gill, as always huge thanks. They are aged 64 and 69.

Frizz

Hi Frizz

If by the time they apply for the tourist visas Mum & Dad have done the meds for the CPV and have unconditional clearance for Permanent Residency, DIAC won't want the Visitor Visa Medical Certificate for the older one:

dima_health - Australian High Commission

It is very simple. The person's own GP can do it. I'd be inclined to get it done and submit it up front with the 676 application to pre-empt a Jobsworth who might say, "Ah but you will turn 70 whilst in Australia." It is quicker to do it and remove a chance for Jobsworth to quibble, I reckon!

You can ignore the burble about private medical insurance as well (which now costs A BOMB for retirees who do not have PR, including retirees on sc 676 visas.)

Visitors to Australia - Medicare Australia

The reciprocal health care agreement between Oz and the UK counts as medical insurance for the purpose of an sc 676 visa.

There has been a subtle change in the wording of the relevant legislation about DIAC's requirement for private health cover with some visas. I don't know the details but apparently it works to theh insurers' advantage commercially so they have racked the premiums sky high. The premium for a couple of your parents' ages would be in the region of $6,000 for 12 months according to BERIA 410, whose own members are the largest group caught in this new trap:

Visitors to Australia - Medicare Australia

I assume that BERIA 410 have negotiated a block policy for their members with Medibank. In the last few days Medibank have started the process of officially becoming a proft making business. They have served formal notice to this effect on the Govt or whatever the drill is. That might enable Medibank and the others to make the whole nightmare worse for retirees who do not have PR.

If you go back to the BERIA homepage, please download and read the article in the Oldie because it is relevant to Mum and Dad. CPV applicants are caught up in the same problem as BERIA 410's members. Some friends of mine have recently obtained their CPVs after 10 months of waiting in Oz. When they returned from Singapore they demonstrated to their private health insurers that they now have PR. Their premiums were then halved with immediate effect, much to the couple's relief.

So Mum & Dad do need to think about this because the insurance premiums have suddenly become very significant. They can decide not to get private medical insurance at all and to rely solely on the RHCA. If they want private insurance as well then they need to discover the price in advance, I suggest.

Cheers

Gill

• 1 month later...

Hi All, Just to let you know that on phoning the POPC recently, they told me we could expect a case officer for our June 07 application around October/November this year and from what i am reading on here they seem to be on track. Such a shame that the exchange rate is not in our favour at the moment, anyone know how long after being allocated a case officer that they will ask for the 'biggy' fee?! Anyone got any info on how to get the best exchange rate?!! Kind regards, Donna

Hi All, Just to let you know that on phoning the POPC recently, they told me we could expect a case officer for our June 07 application around October/November this year and from what i am reading on here they seem to be on track. Such a shame that the exchange rate is not in our favour at the moment, anyone know how long after being allocated a case officer that they will ask for the 'biggy' fee?! Anyone got any info on how to get the best exchange rate?!! Kind regards, Donna

Hi Donna (the application was June 08 for others reading in)

The Big Fee will be asked for once all other steps are complete (meds, character, AOS), so to some extent it's how quickly you put all that together. I can tell you how to get the worst exchange rate - go straight to your high street bank. Otherwise look at HiHX, Tranzfers etc which are more honest. You might also consider paying in sterling, if the official rate used by DIAC is favourable; however I've not tried this so do some research first.

How to Pay

Cheers

Steve

Hi everybody,

I've not been on this site for some time, but thought I'd post again now to let you know that the light at the end of the tunnel is well worth waiting for when you finally get out into it. We got our visas last year after a lot of hassle and heartache, so I really feel for everyone who's getting frustrated. But we're now very happily settled and the traumas quickly faded once we arrived. So hang on in there and it will all be worth it in the end.

Message for Gill, if you're about - I posted a query for you recently on the 'last remaining relative' thread, but it's fallen off the radar a bit so you may have missed it. Our daughter is applying and has been given conflicting advice about time-scales, so we'd appreciate your input.

Mary

Hi

I know this has probably been answered in this thread already but I cant seem to find it. My daughter and family have been granted a visa (22nd of Sept) missed the changes by a day, how lucky was that! Anyway, I was just wondering how long does she have to be there before I could apply for a CPV? We are just about to apply for SS, providing Vetassess results come back positive but with all the current changes I was just wondering if we should maybe try the CPV route? Dont really know what to do now for the best.:unsure:

Hi Gollywobbler

Good to read your reply

We hope to follow our girls and famlies to Australia and hope we can spend the Visa processing time there with them.

1 of our daughters and her Australian husband leave for Kyabram with their 2 girls on Monday,and the other daugher and family leave Boxing Day for Canberra

Do you think we would we be able to apply for CPV after 3 months of the 1st daugher with the OZ husband being there???? then go down the road of 12 month visa visits????? or would we have to wait 2 years settle period before the CPV application ?

We want to keep things legal and in order and you certainly give some brilliant advice.

Many Thanks

Stephsuej

Archived