contributary parent visa

Guest smiley grandma

Guest ruth&phil
Dear all - this forum thread is an excellent source of information (but if only it was on a faster server!!). This is just to let you know that to help understand the timescales for this visa type we maintain a simple record of the CPV key dates on CPV key dates tracker. This reflects mainly people on the British Expats forum. Because a lot of us are subscribed to both, and tend to use different usernames, some members of this forum are already on the list - but I admit it can be a bit confusing to know if I am duplicating entries (at the moment I think it is clean).

If anyone would like to be added (or have information corrected) do let me know. We don't publish names of course.

Hi we are new to PIO could you please add us to the cpv tracker, our 143 application acknowledgment date is 01-09-2008. We do not have an agent.Thanks Ruth & Phil

• Replies 776
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi we are new to PIO could you please add us to the cpv tracker, our 143 application acknowledgment date is 01-09-2008. We do not have an agent.Thanks Ruth & Phil

Welcome to the CPV thread - you're on the list so to speak; now we just need to see some action at the top. Just one CO allocated recently, but of course this is a very small number of the thousands of applicants out there. Good luck.

Steve

Guest OldiesRUs

Hi Eric

Congratulations on getting the forms done.

Just sit back now and settle in for the looong wait. Remember patience is a virtue - and we CPVers are the most virtuous people!!!!!

Jean:wubclub:

Guest Polegate

Hi Ruth & Phil

Like you we have only just applied for our CPV 143 so are now in for the long wait!

Where are you living now and where do you intend living in Australia? We live in Sussex and are hoping to move to Brisbane to be near our daughter and her family.

Regards Jackie

Guest ruth&phil
Hi Ruth & Phil

Like you we have only just applied for our CPV 143 so are now in for the long wait!

Where are you living now and where do you intend living in Australia? We live in Sussex and are hoping to move to Brisbane to be near our daughter and her family.

Regards Jackie

Hi Jackie

Nice to hear from you, we come from the Peterborough area. Our plans are to live near Adelaide as our son & his family live in the southern suburbs. We have just returned from 5 months over there and fallen in love with a town called Strathalbyn. Lets hope it all works out for us all. We have found the PIO site to be very useful and the addition of the tracker is great.

Kind regards Ruth & Phil

Guest Polegate

Hi

Good luck to all 'the old crew' from two that have only just started the 'long wait'.

Jean - do you know Wokingham? We lived there for 20 years before moving down to Sussex.

Kindest regards to you all, David & Jackie

Hi Evelyn

Wedding plans are going well. Son had his stag weekend and fortunately came back complete with eyebrows and everything else in tact!!!

How long are you going over for? Lovely time of the year to go.

I agree, we seem to be the last of the 'old crew' of CPVers, but maybe we can help all the new guys out a bit - although who needs us when we all have Gill.

Let us know how your visit goes.

Hi Jean ,

Glad Son came back in one piece it will certainly be a busy time for you,

We are only going over for 2wks with it being a busy time at work and didn't expect to be here so didn't leave more holidays Daughter a bit disapointed we are not staying for Xmas which is very tempting to say "Sod the lot" especially as John got paid off last Friday but we have lowered the price of the house and hopefully it will sell and we will make it out by the Spring,

I am so looking forward to seeing everyone especially Callum who is now walking though I will probably need a rest when I get back running after him,

They move into their new house in Holywell GC today which has a fantastic pool we will get the feel for the good life,

Hoping to do all the usual stuff register with Medicare open Bank acc etc etc which will save us time when we do move.

You have done well with all the clearing out and cleaning you will be away before you know it.

Take care and will be in touch when I get back

Evelyn

Hi Eric,

Don't worry you are nearly there once the forms are filled in you only have to do it once thats the easy part the worst part is the Waiting it seems to go on for ever and just when you think you are getting there you have to wait again but being on PIO is the best thing out as it helps make the time go quicker,

We thought once we got our Visa that would be it didn't recon on the housing slump but at least we have it and should be used to the waiting by now,

Good luck with the form filling and don't worry if you have a problem there is always someone to help especially Gill who has been a godsend to us all.

look forward to hearing your progress

Evelyn

Guest Gollywobbler
Got the magic e-mail at last; off to London on Monday to get our precious visas added to passports. (Don't trust the post, given our history!)

We're not impressed with something that calls itself 'express post', and then takes from first thing Thursday morning to late Tuesday afternoon to get a cheque from Melbourne to Perth - perhaps we're not heading for quite such an advanced civilisation as we hoped! There I go, turning into a whingeing pom already.

Seriously, we're chuffed to bits to have finally come out on the other side of all the problems. Thanks to everyone for support, and most especially to Gill, who is Superwoman.

Mary

WELL DONE, MARY!!!!

I'm delighted that you now have your visas!!

Have you started to think about when you might head out to Oz?

Whereabouts will you be moving to?

Best wishes

Gill

xx

Hi to all fellow CPVrs.

Just to let you all know that we have been asked by our agent to get the AOS done. Phoned son this morning and forwarded the letter on to him. Thought this would never happen, just need to get son to get this sorted and then the big payment and hopefully we will soon be changing our visitors visa for a permanent one!!!!!!!!!!!

Rita

Hi sandch,

I post on here as gliddon, but also keep an eye on British Expats.

You can add us to your list, though we're not exactly standard because of the various problems we've hit along the way.

Acknowledged 07-08-07, Meds 14-07-08, CO 08-10-08, AOS now pending.

(We think we may actually have been allocated the CO slightly earlier, but our useless agents didn't keep us informed - that's partly why we ditched them.)

Mary.

Hi Mary

I'm not sure how I missed your post, but I've added you - better late than never! Trouble is if there are a lot of posts in a short time, I sometimes don't go back far enough. Anyway, despite your last minute hurdles, it's good to see how quickly the last bit went. Many congratulations on your success and I expect you are relieved that the long wait is over.

Best wishes

Steve

Great News Rita. How long have you been out on visitor visa?

Liz

Hi Liz

Been out here since end September and loving it. We are driving the East coast from Canberra, where our son lives up to Mudgeeraba to parents in law place. We are currently at Byron bay. Are picking up a trailer tent from MIL and then going on further up the coast. Back to being hippies again, but who cares.

Internet links a bit hit and miss as we travell so I don't get on here as much now, but will try to keep updating as things move forward with our CPV.

Rita

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Rita

Good news about your AOS. You should have your visas by the end of January.

By the way, you are "grey nomads" in Oz, not "hippies", lol!:cool:

Cheers

Gill

Guest gliddon

All that trouble for a flimsy bit of paper stuck on a page...! We got the visas in our passports yesterday, but not before a final hiccup. We were first in the queue at Australia House & feeling quite chirpy - then the girl searching the computer said 'bear with me for a moment', and our hearts sank. Sure enough, we weren't on the computer at all, and she started talking about coming back another day or sending the passports by post. (We had train tickets back to Exeter that afternoon, and we're flying next Tuesday!) That was a very bad moment, and I came as close as I've ever come to breaking down in public. We had to wait about 40 minutes while someone in the back office checked with Perth, then it was suddenly all OK and we got the passports back with the visas in them. We must have established some sort of record for the number of things that have gone wrong along the way, but it's all worth it now.

We fly Heathrow to Melbourne on Tuesday with Singapore Airlines, then straight into a furnished let in Mornington, which is the area we're looking to settle. Our possessions have gone off already - a lot of them have been in storage since Feb while we've been in a furnished let here. So a few more days of living out of suitcases and then we're off - difficult to believe after all this time.

Best wishes to everyone still waiting. Our message has to be 'hang on in there no matter what, and it does come out all right in the end.'

Mary

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Mary

Poor you! I think I would have burst into tears if it had happened to me. You did VERY well not to.

Have a good flight next week. It sounds like you will have a hectic few days and then once you are on the plane, put your feet up, relax and let the crew PAMPER you all the way to Melbourne, I suggest. You deserve a rest so you make sure you get waited on hand and foot all the way, hun!

Best wishes

Gill

Hi Eric

Congratulations on getting the forms done.

Just sit back now and settle in for the looong wait. Remember patience is a virtue - and we CPVers are the most virtuous people!!!!!

And do we need to be!

But as one of the "old guard"..... I do feel for the new bunch and the now extended wait and complications. Worst still, those coming over on sponsored work related visa's..are now facing cancellation due to the looming jobs crisis.

It is being reported that Chris Evans...no not the ginger DJ....will reduce immigration quota's to safeguard Australians in employment.

Having got here...we are waiting for the house price collapse...so we can nip in with cash and get a good deal!

Anybody coming here now and wanting to buy a new mid -high range car, shop around and play one dealer against the other and you will get a good deal.

So far spent a day in Bowral/Mittigong house hunting and A day in Terrigal/Avoca Beach ditto..... and going back again later in the week.

We did see a container being unloaded just outside Avoca, wondered if it was one of "our lot" having finally arrived.

Great being here.... dreams can come true :yes:

L.L + OH

Welcome to the CPV thread - you're on the list so to speak; now we just need to see some action at the top. Just one CO allocated recently, but of course this is a very small number of the thousands of applicants out there. Good luck.

Steve

Hi Steve, Could you please add me to the tracker as well! Acknowledgment date 17/06/08, subclass 143, no agent. Thank you very much! Haven't been on this thread recently, but just to put the cat amongst the pigeons, my phone call to the POPC last week informed me that there is no 'waiting list' for this visa type, just a standard 'processing time' of 18 months. The guy i spoke to told me that there were plenty of this type of visa left and that we will hear from them around June 09 and can expect our visa around Dec 09! :err: Seems a bit contradictory to all the info on here, but hey, if that's the case, i'm happy with that!

Hi Steve, Could you please add me to the tracker as well! Acknowledgment date 17/06/08, subclass 143, no agent. Thank you very much! Haven't been on this thread recently, but just to put the cat amongst the pigeons, my phone call to the POPC last week informed me that there is no 'waiting list' for this visa type, just a standard 'processing time' of 18 months. The guy i spoke to told me that there were plenty of this type of visa left and that we will hear from them around June 09 and can expect our visa around Dec 09! :err: Seems a bit contradictory to all the info on here, but hey, if that's the case, i'm happy with that!

All done - and good luck with the process ahead. It's often hard to know what ths status of this visa category is. Recently a member of another forum whose application was aknowledged on 30 October 2007 received this information from the CO "...As places in the Contributory Visa program are limited and applications are processed in order of lodgement, we hope to finalise the application, if possible, in the next program year, that is, by 30 June 2010..." (the ALL NEW SPARKLY contributory parents visa thread!!! - Page 92 : British Expat Discussion Forum)

Guest marian and ian burgess

Hi Gill Maybe you can help. Ian and I are wondering whethre we can change from an application for a 143 visa to a 173 . If it is possible would we lose our position in the waiting list. (our application was acknowledged on 12 March 2008). We are thinking of this because of the current state of the housing market which may make renting our UK property more practical as we will not want to be waiting around for a buyer once we have got our visa approved.

Any information gratefully received!

Regards Marian Burgess

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Marian & Ian

Theoretically it shouldn't be possible because the 143 and the 173 are in different visa Classes. The usual rule is that you can switch between subclasses in the same Class but not between Classes.

That said though, it would do no harm to ask the POPC because DIAC have a lot of policies that Central Office in Canberra know about and the staff in the processing centres know about but the "hidden generosity" is not printed in the main policy & procedure documents that the staff, migration agents and anyone else who cares to pay for a subscription to Legend.com can access via Legend. Where the policy is an ad hoc solution to a situation that rarely arises in practice, it does not make it into the main DIAC textbooks.

There is no particular reason why they shouldn't co-operate because the criteria for the 143 and the 173 are the same save only for the Assurance of Support. They might well have permitted the switch in the past when a prospective Assurer has suddenly died or been made redundant etc.

I would e-mail the POPC and ask. The e-mail addy is parents@immi.gov.au They are very helpful indeed.

Best wishes

Gill

Hi Gill.

In the absence of any specific provisions in the legislation it is technically unlawful for the DIAC to allow an applicant to move from one visa class to another once a valid application has been lodged => I would be very surprised if a s/c 143 applicant were permitted to change to a s/c 173.

This isn't to say the question shouldn't be asked, but the prospects of the enquirer getting the hoped for answer are not good.

Best regards.

I have still to check out if queue position changes if I went from 143 to 103.

Given the fact that I will be at least 55 by the time I get there and have to work for 10 years on 143 but if I held off I could have mortgage paid off, have an early retirement package and hopefully the house market will have improved which would give me a reasonable sum of money to go with.

The advantages that existed on the 143 a couple of years ago are diminished because of the delay in processing times and the current housing market.

I know that it's possible to change from 103 to 143 without losing place in queue so you would expect it to work in reverse?

LizG

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Liz

Again, it is worth asking the POPC - the current delays in CPV processing could have caused quite a few rule relaxations that DIAC know about but do not necessarily publicise.

I would expect them to say that if you want to switch to the PV103 visa then you will have to prepare another application from scratch, pay another 1st instalment of $1,420 and withdraw your CPV 143 application at the same time as submitting your application for the PV103 instead. In that case you would also return to the back of the queue. However, it could be that there is another 'quirk' in the system that one would not find out about unless one asks.

Unless you ask you will not discover whether there is a crack in the door. Therefoe I would encourage you to ask and just see what they say in the first instance.

Best wishes

Gill

Archived