Tourist visa 600 whilst waiting for partner visa - more info required??

Guest soopheh

Guest soopheh

Hi all,

My partner and I have recently lodged our offshore partner visa for Aus and have now applied for a 12 month tourist visa for myself so we can be there whilst it processes.

I've had an email asking for more info on the 600; a declaration stating my reasons for travel, what I intend to do in Australia, my plans for after departure.

How do I answer that? I know that a bunch of people go over on this visa while the partner one processes, and I know the COs have to be made aware, so I'm guessing that's okay. Although I also am aware that the intentions of the tourist visa are not to act as a bridging visa for the 309/100.

Any suggestions? Do I be upfront and state that I just need to be there whilst my partner visa processes? (My partner can no longer stay in the UK, and we have a child together so I'm hoping anyone with half a heart will want to keep a family together). Or do I avoid mentioning the partner visa, and if so how should I word it? Obviously I don't want to lie about anything, just wondering if it's wise to mention it all.

Thanks in advance.

I'm not at all clear but I often see said that it is possible that applying for a visa after you have put in an application for another visa automatically cancels the first application. I have no idea which visas that applies to but it'd be something to check out as you definitely want your partner visa!

Theoretically, however - as long as you are off shore when your visa is granted (NZ? Cheapest) then there shouldn't be a problem.

Guest soopheh

Yeah, my plan is to pop to NZ come visa-approval date. I'm not too worried about the tourist visa being a problem for the partner visa, but vice versa, whether mentioning the partner visa application will be detrimental to me receiving a tourist visa.

I thought it said somewhere in the small print for this visa that it should not be used for the purpose of waiting for a partner visa grant.

They will know you've applied for a partner visa.

Is there a reason you didn't apply onshore?

I'd look at the small print of the visa before doing anything else.

I went and found the thread on this. The first post cover the bit where the OP was informed about the 600 not being used for awaiting partner visa application.

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/198929-e600-while-partner-visa-processing-please-help.html

I'd be very careful as tbh you are not using the 600 for tourist purposes as they seem to intend it. Also they will know you have a partner visa application lodged.

It may be you have to try for a different tourist visa with shorter stays. Although this also is not without downsides/risks.

I must admit to wondering why if your husband cannot stay in the UK much longer you didn't look at the onshore application as this comes with work rights and you are on a bridging visa till a decision is made.

ETA - the tourist visa people usually apply for while waiting out their partner visa is the 601. Mainly as they don't intend to fly out to wait the full term or a long chunk if it but say the last few months or some such.

Edited by Guest