Guest firefighter/m/23

firefighter wishing to transfer to brisbane

Guest firefighter/m/23

hello ive currently just come back from a month in brisbane and wo, what a way of living. im sorry if people have posted things like this before. . .

i would like to work in brisbane as a firefighter and would like to know if this is possible or has anyone worked as a firefighter in london and transferred out there.

any information or help would be hugely appreciated and sorry again if this is abit repetative.

Guest Mrs C

Hiya

I am sorry but I don't know anything about Firefighting! But wanted to say welcome to you. It is really nice to hear someone with a lot of enthusiasm

I am off to Brisbane in September.

April

Guest klt26

Hi,

My hubby is also a fire-fighter...we have looked into transferring and as far as we can tell it's a no go!! Coppers can transfer but not firemen...you would have to start off as a new recruit again!

Hope that helps!!!

Good luck!

Karen

Just found this post and wondered how you all got on. I am a FF in Essex.

JOHN

Living The Dream!

Guest chris_mac

I have exhausted all avenues with regards to transfers into the fireservices in Australia. Direct emails to the chiefs etc.. They simply do not recruit outside of australia. They do do 12 month exchange programs but only for high ranking officers and they are very rare i was told... You need a trade or exceptional skills to get into Oz. Im a qulaified spark and thats my path.... Once in the country with PR then you can apply whch i hopefully intend to do... Best of luck buddy

Guest earlswood
hello ive currently just come back from a month in brisbane and wo, what a way of living. im sorry if people have posted things like this before. . .

i would like to work in brisbane as a firefighter and would like to know if this is possible or has anyone worked as a firefighter in london and transferred out there.

any information or help would be hugely appreciated and sorry again if this is abit repetative.

Have you done your 4 years training? are you a Sub O or higher? if not...forget it...been told they only want Sub officers or above to be honest.

Guest IrishPost
Hi,

...Coppers can transfer but not firemen...

Only applied to the South Austalia Police and the Western Australia Police when they were recruiting experienced officers in Ireland and the UK and then sponsoring the successful applicants.

:policeman:

Guest The "legdes"

My husband's a firefighter and so is my brother in law. My brother in law was a station officer when he emigrated a few months ago but could only work as a civie for the firebrigade over there until he had full citizenship so he's doing something else now. He emigrated on his other skills as he applied before the recent work experience rules tightened in Sept last year.

We are hoping to go too but my husband has had to go back into his prev trade to get the points and to get the recent exp. so he now has 2 jobs. Its really really hard work for us all trying to fit 2 jobs in and look after the kids. Our app is in now so fingers crossed it will all be worth it.

I guess what this says is that you will probably have to revert to other skills and experience to get the points. Good Luck ! - New Zealand do want firefighters just in case you are stuck and are interested in going there.

Guest earlswood

I was talking to my boss about firefighters in Oz and it seems they are not as highly regarded in Oz as it is in the UK...it seems a lot easier to get into the job with no qualifications if you live over here and they do seem to be recruiting all the time, if you could get over with another job I am sure you could apply for a job when you get overe here.

Earlswood, You have just contradicted yourself in 2 posts ;-)

John

Living The Dream!

Guest earlswood
Earlswood, You have just contradicted yourself in 2 posts ;-)

John

How? just quoting what my boss told me , he said they would only take higher ranking officers direct from the UK but if you were permanant resident over here you could apply directly and possibly get in at a lower rank.

well hes wrong. :-)

I have been in contact with WA fire service and they are soon going to be recruiting straight from the UK and at all ranks.

Living The Dream!

Guest The "legdes"

It was WA I was talking about. My brother in law is there now and has been offered a civie job there - not an operational one. If a change does happen please will you let me know.

E mail me and I will send you what info I have. lisa and john at talk talk dot net

JOHN

Living The Dream!