Too early to start the process???

GoldcoastMAD

Hi,

we have decided ( wife + 2 kids) that we want to move to OZ, but this will not be until 2016...due to my wife's work commitments.

My own Position is on the skills list, my Wife is self employed.

my Questions is :

is it too early for me to start the process ? I need to take the Skills test and complete the EOI...but then how long long will the process take?

Edited by GoldcoastMAD

IMO It's a lot of money to head over for a holiday just to validate if your thinking of going the following year anyhow. From sitting the Ielts (not everyone needs this) to getting my visa took about 15 month. Before this though I was doing loads of research of where to settle, cost of living etc. might be worth considering the housing market and whether to put house up now and go into rented accommodation in the meantime. I've known folk who were sure the house would be last of their worries but unfortunately not so. Good luck

No never visited before, and a very good point. We might hate it! I'm 90% sure we will like it though, i have friends that have migrated to Oz...some have returned home, some have stayed. Myself and the wife are well travelled, i understand the risks...but we want to go for it!

I've been to oz at least six times before..but living and holidaying/working holiday visa, are very different from living in oz! Hence coming back to the UK after living in oz being my dream!! Would it be worth renting your house out initially? Just in case?

great advise Thanks

Awesome , thanks for the Advise, how does this work with the job Sponsored visa.?

What kind of visa? 457 temporary visa? - They would want you to start pretty soon I would imagine. What you need to remember with the skills lists is that they change and occupations get removed. If you're thinking of a PR visa, I'd start the process as others have said if your job is on the list now (might not be next year).

If you are on the skills list now, apply now. You wouldn't want to wait and find you're no longer on the skills list.

You would need to validate the visas within a year. I don't think holidays will tell you much about the experience of living in Australia but they are fun. You could do a tourist holiday to Australia (expensive) or just do a return flight to Australia with a fortnight "stopover" somewhere interesting en route.

What kind of visa? 457 temporary visa? - They would want you to start pretty soon I would imagine. What you need to remember with the skills lists is that they change and occupations get removed. If you're thinking of a PR visa, I'd start the process as others have said if your job is on the list now (might not be next year).

ali - not got my head around which visa i need yet! Any advise on which Visa we need would be great

Quinkla - it would be a pre-move visit really, not a holiday - to check out Suburbs, houses , Schools Etc

Don't I need to visit to Validate the visas?

If you are on the skills list now, apply now. You wouldn't want to wait and find you're no longer on the skills list.

You would need to validate the visas within a year. I don't think holidays will tell you much about the experience of living in Australia but they are fun. You could do a tourist holiday to Australia (expensive) or just do a return flight to Australia with a fortnight "stopover" somewhere interesting en route.

Just to Confirm , as someone has already suggested that once the visa is validated I have five years to actually make the move?

Hi Martin,

Once your visa is granted you have 12 months (from date of medical or police check) to validate. Some move straight away, some do validation trips. The visa is valid for 5 years. To get a RRV you need to be there 2 of the 5 years from what I understand, but there are ways around this, as I know a few on here have taken the full 5 years to move. Not fully sure how that works though.

We will go and validate this year (will be our first time to Oz) then we are hoping to make the final move next year :)

If your job is on the SOL, then the best visa to go for is the 189, as it is a permenant visa with no state commitments. If you need the additional points, the 190 is the next best option if your job is on the CSOL, but it does commit you to the sponsoring state for 2 years. That is assuming you do want the permanent visa route :)

Hope that helps and good luck :)

Edited by M1cha3la
Fixing my awful Ipad grammer

Just to Confirm , as someone has already suggested that once the visa is validated I have five years to actually make the move?

You need to enter Australia by the Initial Entry Date (one year from date of the police check or medical, whichever is earlier) to validate the visa. You then basically have 5 years from the visa grant date to move. After 5 years, the travel facility on the visa expires so you can't enter unless you have a Resident Return Visa. If you arrive before 5 years, you can stay permanently (but if you want to leave for any reason, e.g. holiday, you need a RRV to be able to re-enter again).

Hi Martin,

Once your visa is granted you have 12 months (from date of medical or poloce check) to validate. Some move straight away, some do validation trips. The visa is then valid for 5 years. To get a RRV you need to be there 2 of the 5 years from what I understand, but there are ways around this, as I know a few on here have taken the full 5 years to move. Not fully sure how that works though.

We will go and validate this year (will be our first time to Oz) then we are hoping to make the final move next year :)

If your job is on the SOL, then the best visa to go for is the 189, as it is a permenant visa with no state commitments. If you need the additional points, the 190 is the next best option if your job is on the CSOL, but it does commit you to the sponsoring state for 2 years. That is assuming you do want the permanent visa route :)

Hope that helps and good luck :)

Wow thanks M1cha1la, valuable information there!

You need to enter Australia by the Initial Entry Date (one year from date of the police check or medical, whichever is earlier) to validate the visa. You then basically have 5 years from the visa grant date to move. After 5 years, the travel facility on the visa expires so you can't enter unless you have a Resident Return Visa. If you arrive before 5 years, you can stay permanently (but if you want to leave for any reason, e.g. holiday, you need a RRV to be able to re-enter again).

Thank you maggie

Quinkla - it would be a pre-move visit really, not a holiday - to check out Suburbs, houses , Schools Etc

For what it's worth, I think this would be a waste of effort. When you make the move, you will probably be in holiday accommodation initially and then you will be able to look at suburbs, schools, etc. when you have a realistic idea of prices, finances and employment prospects. Doing this a year in advance is likely to mess with your head if you decide that suburb A is where you want to live but a year later has become unaffordable or unsuitable. Better to treat it as a holiday and accept that you won't get much useful information from it.

Of course, others may have a different view.

For what it's worth, I think this would be a waste of effort. When you make the move, you will probably be in holiday accommodation initially and then you will be able to look at suburbs, schools, etc. when you have a realistic idea of prices, finances and employment prospects. Doing this a year in advance is likely to mess with your head if you decide that suburb A is where you want to live but a year later has become unaffordable or unsuitable. Better to treat it as a holiday and accept that you won't get much useful information from it.

Of course, others may have a different view.

I'm starting to question my own belief that I need a pre-visit , i can do all the research i need on the internet. Certainly would save me a a chunk of money!