AHPRA application with diploma-mental health nurse

Guest zoek

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the site so I hope I'm posting this in the right place. I handed in my AHPRA application in Sydney on 17/02/14. The lady I gave it to told me to check the website as the verification of qualifications process had changed two weeks prior.

When I looked I felt sick seeing that they had changed the requirement to degree level. I called and explained that although I have a diploma, I have 10 years experience. I was told that they would consider the application but looking at the site it seems pretty clear that this is not the case. I just wondered whether anyone else knew any more than I do or has any advice? I don't want to wait months for a rejection when I could be getting on with doing a degree...which I really don't want to do!

Thanks

Hi

I am not sure who gave you that advice, I am soon to be a nurse and have been following all the nursing posts for weeks waiting for the advice. There are 3 criteria that need to be met that people are struggling with, however a UK diploma is the same level as the Oz degree therefore it is still perfectly acceptable. If you look through the nursing threads there is guidance as to what you need to provide to prove you meet the 3 extra criteria. It may be that you need an extra letter from your university. Personally I would be emailing/phoning your uni today as soon as you locate these 3 extra criteria. I think its numbers 2,3 and 8 people are struggling with. 2 & 3 may be being provided by NMC direct to AHPRA and number 8 may be a letter from your uni but its early days so don't quote me....

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the site so I hope I'm posting this in the right place. I handed in my AHPRA application in Sydney on 17/02/14. The lady I gave it to told me to check the website as the verification of qualifications process had changed two weeks prior.

When I looked I felt sick seeing that they had changed the requirement to degree level. I called and explained that although I have a diploma, I have 10 years experience. I was told that they would consider the application but looking at the site it seems pretty clear that this is not the case. I just wondered whether anyone else knew any more than I do or has any advice? I don't want to wait months for a rejection when I could be getting on with doing a degree...which I really don't want to do!

Thanks

PM me please, I will ask a couple of people some questions. Tell me what your qualifications are, your experience is, and where you would like to work in Australia.

Hi, Im new here. I hope someone could help me.

Im planning to apply to IHNA for their nursing bridging course. Part of the requirement is the letter of eligibility from AHPRA. Does anyone have an idea what are the requirements to get that letter of eligibility? Thank you very much :wink:

Hi vivs, Sorry I cant help as I am not sure about the bridging course, however you may get more responses if you go to the forum tab at the top. click on the section you think the question is relevant too (possibly employment) and then click on the 'new thread' button. You will probably get more replies to your question. Don't worry, we have all been there... Forums are confusing when you first join.

I hope you get some good replies, this forum is extremely useful.

Hi Vivs, I believe you have to be considered an AQF level 6 for AHPRA to refer you. You'd need an advanced diploma? That's jow I understand it anyway from reading the new AGOS-40 application and looking at the Australian Qualifications Framework. Good luck!

Hi Jac, thanks for your response, you've made me feel a bit calmer! I was basing the need for degree by following the links in the AGOS-40 application. I see your point about the extra 3 criteria and I'll take your advice and get on to my uni on Monday. My worry is that it appears to me that you need to be considered to be at AQF level 7 and to me it looks like my diploma is a level 5...hope you're right!

• 5 months later...

My wife is stuck in working as a Care aide in the learning disability sector coz she too has a DipHE in mental health. But we're now resolved that the best thing for us is to bite the bullet and let her just do a top-up degree back in the UK. we feel just as frustrated as a lot of people on this link as well. Now so far our enquiries with universities back home in the UK are generally revealing that a P/T BSc top-up course will run for 2 years. My question at this juncture is does anyone know of any particular university (online or face-to-face) which offers the top-up BSc MH degree for strictly 1 year duration?