Medicare

Guest Philumission

Guest Philumission

Typical timing. Leave for Oz on 14th Sept and this morning have received a letter from Doctor re blood test I omitted to take in January. Blood test woulod not be back in time here.

Is Medicare an immediate option. How long would I have to wait before I could join etc.

How do you apply etc ?

Thanks.

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Phil

Medicare is available from the minute you set foot in Australia. All that you need to do is register yourself with a Medicare (bulk billing) doctor if you wish to use Medicare health services.

I'm not sure how you actually do this physically. It could be as simple as registering at a local surgery, or you might have to to a Medicare admin office (much like the FPC here) in order to effect the registration. Hopefully people who have already moved to Oz can fill you in on the practical side of how to get yourself registered.

Cheers

Gill

Guest Missiemo

HI

There are medicare offices all over the place, all you do is go in to their offices and registar, you will need passports, and visa prove, they then issue you with a temp card and sent you your pamenent card to your address.

If you attend a Bulk Billing Doctor then the Doctors will bill Medicare direct, you pay nothing, but if you attend a non Bulk Bill doctors then you pay full amount and claim back a percentage from medicare, it is approx $50.00 to see a doctor and you get back about $30.00.

Medications is paid for by you.

Missiemo

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Missiemo

What about blood tests, please? The OP needs those. Would the patient have to pay for those up front too or it is only that you have to pay for drugs prescribed for you?

I'm interested because I'm trying to figure the Medicare entitlement out on behalf of my elderly mother. In the UK, all her drugs etc are free because she is an OAP (she's 85 - not sure whether that is what clinches the free scrips.) It seems expensive in Oz for routine drugs and I don't know what happens if someone needs a blood or urine test as far as paying for it goes. Do you happen to know, at all?

Thanks very much

Gill

Guest Missiemo
Hi Missiemo

What about blood tests, please? The OP needs those. Would the patient have to pay for those up front too or it is only that you have to pay for drugs prescribed for you?

I'm interested because I'm trying to figure the Medicare entitlement out on behalf of my elderly mother. In the UK, all her drugs etc are free because she is an OAP (she's 85 - not sure whether that is what clinches the free scrips.) It seems expensive in Oz for routine drugs and I don't know what happens if someone needs a blood or urine test as far as paying for it goes. Do you happen to know, at all?

Thanks very much

Gill

Hi Gill

Hope you are well, and things are coming together.

Not had to venture down the road for blood test etc yet thankfully, leave it with me and I will try to find out for you, unless somebody else gives you the answer in the meantime.

Take Care

Mo

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Mo

Glad to see that you are now safely settled in Oz and delighted that you have kept your promise to remain part of Poms in Oz.

If you are able to find out what the score is on arranging and paying for blood/urine tests under Medicare, Philumission and I would both be very grateful to you indeed.

Thanks very much

Gill

Guest Philumission

Cheers Mo,

Don't want to put my flights back. With NHS no knowing how long it may take.

Fingers crossed is a routine matter but don't want to forget about it again.

+ What does 'bulk billing' mean. Is theer a two (or more) tier system of doctors/treatment ?

Thanks

Phil

Guest Missiemo

Hello Phil and Gill

I will try to find out any information I can, not a problem.

Phil, Bulk Billing means the professional sends the bill directly to Medicare so you pay nothing, when you are told they do not Bulk Bill it means you pay whole amount and then claim a percentage back.

Hope this helps

Thinking of you

Mo

Guest Missiemo

Hi Gill and Phil

PLease find below the web site address for Medicare in Australia, you should be able to find all the answer's you need with regards to blood test's.

Really hope this will help, if not please let me know, and I will do some more digging.

http://www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/

Take Care

Mo

Bear in mind if you see a bulk bill doctor it's likely you'll be waiting a long time (hours sometimes). Not many BB doctors allow patients to make appts. At least in Sydney they don't anyway.

I think you can claim Medicare online now as well

Archived