Will an NVQ Level 2 in Plastering be enough for the TRA?

Guest The meerkats

Guest The meerkats

Hi, I hope someone can help me.

My OH is a plasterer and has been for 4 years. We're hoping to go on an Independent 175, and are starting to prepare the skills assessment.

Will an NVQ Level 2 in Plastering be sufficient? Where is the best place to find out exactly what the TRA want to see in your application, I can't find much on the website!!!

Any advice about TRA and pathways greatly appreciated!

Becca and Stephen

Guest joy family

Hi,

My OH is a plasterer too, we got our visas granted back in december and are just now selling our house before we make the move! We used Pathway D to get ours as OH served an old style apprenticeship but I am quite sure that NVQ Level 2 will get you there no probs.

With regards to what to send to TRA we got together as much evidence and information as possible:- tax records, references, certificates My OH we also told to write an essay with as much detail as possible of what his work involved. The best thing to do would be to speak to your agent if you are using one, I know at the time all this form filling and stuff looks really scary but hang on in there:arghh:. We used Visa-Go who made the whole process really easy.

Good luck

Hi meerkats

We might have "spoken" before - we are another plastering family, so wanted to say hi!! You have obviously looked at the TRA website and therefore have an idea of the pathway criteria you need to fit into? From what i understand you will need to have done a formal apprenticeship (pathway A) otherwise you need a minimum of 5 years experience to apply. Have you got that? Pretty sure the TRA do not accept NVQ level 2 as a stand-alone qualification - you have to have training/apprenticeship also.

Our TRA application was helped along by our agent who guided us through at every stage - could not have done it without her.

Send us a PM if we can be of any help at all, always glad to help a fellow plasterer!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi sadsmile,

as you said you are always willing to help another plasterer just wanted to ask you for a little advice? My husband is a plasterer of 11 years, he is planning on getting the NVQ Level 2, but we have also heard that you need to have had 900 college hours, do you know if this is correct? We are waiting to see if pathway D re opens and have spoken to an agent who has said they will update us when there is any sign of it re opening, do you know if there is any other route that we can take? Can you tell us what agent you used please? Sorry to fire so many questions at you - this is all so confusing!!

From Louise John Caitlin Ciaran and Kyle

Hi

OH is a tiler but we are in a similar position. I asked TRA if they would be happy with an NVQ2 that he could get via assessment. They said no they would only accept qualifications acheived through apprenticeship and vocational training and not an NVQ via workplace assessment. I've read on another thread that an agent had spoken to a "contact" at TRA and they believe that when a new pathway comes TRA may accept these NVQs as well as experience so it's worth doing. You're gonna have to get one to work onsite in the UK after 2010 anyway so it's not a waste of time. Pathway D was taken away as it was at risk of fraudulent applications so any replacement is going to be much tougher and some expect assessments will form part of it so if you can, do the NVQ.

By the way - OH did his and passed today and he said it was quite tough i.e not anyone could do it so TRA should recognise it as it takes a lot of skill to pass. Not saying that to put anyone off just saying I can't understand why they don't accept it now as it's not like anyone can just go and get one - you have to able to do your job!

Good luck anyway - not long to wait for news now hopefully

Nicky

Guest kazmatt

I Am Also A Plasterer, I Only Have N.v.q. Levels 1 And 2, And Got The Visa, But We Applied Prior To The Sep 01 Changes, I Also Provided Six Years Of Work History. We Are Off To Brisbane In Just Over A Week And A Half, So It Can Be Done, Good Luck To You All. Matt.

• 7 years later...
I Am Also A Plasterer, I Only Have N.v.q. Levels 1 And 2, And Got The Visa, But We Applied Prior To The Sep 01 Changes, I Also Provided Six Years Of Work History. We Are Off To Brisbane In Just Over A Week And A Half, So It Can Be Done, Good Luck To You All. Matt.

Hi matt. Could you tell me what process you went through. I have 4 years of experiance and have been to college for 2 years.

I have an N.v.q level 2 aswell.

Thanks mate

Joe

Hi matt. Could you tell me what process you went through. I have 4 years of experiance and have been to college for 2 years.

Thanks mate

Joe

This thread is from 2008 - immigration requirements have changed a lot since then - might be better starting your own thread?

Thanks mate

Joe

Joe,

If you want to drop me a PM I may be able to help with your TRA questions.

I'm not a registered migration agent, or any agent of that matter... But I have just gone through the TRA process myself and I'm willing to help out!

Archived