Applied for 820 Partner Visa. Previously on 457. Want permission to work- Bridging visa e?

Rach Brisbane

Hi,

I first moved to Australia in 2011 on a working holiday visa and later obtained sponsorship on a 457 visa. However, I left this job in November last year as I was extremely unhappy. Since then I have applied for an 820 Partner Visa and have been advised that a valid application has been received on 10/02/2014.

I have been granted a bridging visa A, however this does not come into effect until 2016 when my 457 expires. I have been advised that until my partner visa is approved my only working options are to either work for my previous sponsor or find a new 457 sponsor. Given that finding a 457 sponsor is extremely difficult at the moment (I blame all of the bad publicity in the papers!) I wish to work without obtaining a new sponsor.

I understand that I now need to apply for my 457 visa to be cancelled meaning I will become 'unlawful.' I then I need to apply for a bridging visa E (which I cannot work or travel on) and if this is granted then apply for permission to work on financial hardship grounds. I am worried about becoming unlawful with the chance of a bridging visa E not being granted. However, my partner and I are finding it very difficult living from his wages alone so I really need to be able to work.

Has anybody else been through this situation? I would really appreciate your advise.

Thank you for your help!

Rachel

Hi,

I first moved to Australia in 2011 on a working holiday visa and later obtained sponsorship on a 457 visa. However, I left this job in November last year as I was extremely unhappy. Since then I have applied for an 820 Partner Visa and have been advised that a valid application has been received on 10/02/2014.

I have been granted a bridging visa A, however this does not come into effect until 2016 when my 457 expires. I have been advised that until my partner visa is approved my only working options are to either work for my previous sponsor or find a new 457 sponsor. Given that finding a 457 sponsor is extremely difficult at the moment (I blame all of the bad publicity in the papers!) I wish to work without obtaining a new sponsor.

I understand that I now need to apply for my 457 visa to be cancelled meaning I will become 'unlawful.' I then I need to apply for a bridging visa E (which I cannot work or travel on) and if this is granted then apply for permission to work on financial hardship grounds. I am worried about becoming unlawful with the chance of a bridging visa E not being granted. However, my partner and I are finding it very difficult living from his wages alone so I really need to be able to work.

Has anybody else been through this situation? I would really appreciate your advise.

Thank you for your help!

Rachel

I can only tell you what happened in my daughter's case, which although similar wasn't necessarily the same, and I am no expert.

she was on a WHV then 457 and met her partner while on WHV. She left her 457 job, but lodged her partner visa before her notice expired on her 457. She had bridging visa A theoretically given, but as her 457 had almost 3 years still to run, it wouldn't kick in until 3 years later. she/employer had to cancel the 457, but although this is difficult to understand it was still valid until it ceased 3 years later. So she then went on bridging visa E, no work rights and could not return to OZ if she left the country.

She and her partner pleaded and had to prove hard ship and the work restrictions were lifted some time later. Every thing took a while as she was waiting on police clearance from Mexico which took a long time, but every thing apart from that had been front loaded, and shortly after that came through her 820 was granted. Probably took about 9 months, but her work restrictions were lifted sooner than that.

good luck