?move to Adelaide from Port Augusta for better chance of job

ozzieapple

Hi all

We're looking for some advice. We've been living in Port Augusta, South Australia for 3 years now. I have a job at the local hospital in allied health and my other half, who was a facilities manager in the UK (not trade qualified) has been unable to find any FM type job in Australia. He's been working at the hospital as a project officer, but this contract will come to an end at the end of June. We are in a dilemma whether to move to the UK once we gain citizenship, which we can apply for in Sept, if he can't get a job before then. He's 55 years old and doesn't want to retire. He has applied for a couple of hundred jobs Australia wide whilst living in Pt Augusta and come close a few times, but no cigar!! We wondered whether physically moving to Adelaide would increase his chances of even temporary work, which may lead onto something else. Regardless, we wouldn't want to stay in Port Augusta, as we need more facilities/stimulation/café society.

Anyone any thoughts on whether such a move would improve his chances?

Cheers

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi and welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear your husband is struggling for work. I don't know a lot about the job market in Adelaide but from reading http://www.pomsinadelide.com people seem to struggle for work. Have you considered the East Coast, ie Melbourne, Brisbane, Sydney.

Thanks for the welcome. We've been 'snooping' around poms in Oz for months, but thought time to be more proactive and post.

Yep, he's applied all over Oz, since we got residency Sept last year. Been told on a number of occasions he was second choice, which only makes it worse for him. It's very hard to remain motivated and confident after so many knock backs. It really is our last count down of effort now before jacking things in and going back to the UK.

Guest The Pom Queen
Thanks for the welcome. We've been 'snooping' around poms in Oz for months, but thought time to be more proactive and post.

Yep, he's applied all over Oz, since we got residency Sept last year. Been told on a number of occasions he was second choice, which only makes it worse for him. It's very hard to remain motivated and confident after so many knock backs. It really is our last count down of effort now before jacking things in and going back to the UK.

Would he consider changing careers, I suppose its hard once you reach a certain age

He doesn't mind changing to a degree, though is at the point where he is jaded and isn't convinced it will help. Most of the jobs he applied for were more admin, due to lack of many FM jobs. He's doing a personal trainer course, but not sure whether he could make much of a living out of that. I guess we have seen a lot of nepotism in a small town when it comes to being offered work, and so much lack of recognition of UK qualifications/experience that he's lost faith. He twice applied to stack the shelves in Coles whilst here and couldn't even get that.

Hi all

We're looking for some advice. We've been living in Port Augusta, South Australia for 3 years now. I have a job at the local hospital in allied health and my other half, who was a facilities manager in the UK (not trade qualified) has been unable to find any FM type job in Australia. He's been working at the hospital as a project officer, but this contract will come to an end at the end of June. We are in a dilemma whether to move to the UK once we gain citizenship, which we can apply for in Sept, if he can't get a job before then. He's 55 years old and doesn't want to retire. He has applied for a couple of hundred jobs Australia wide whilst living in Pt Augusta and come close a few times, but no cigar!! We wondered whether physically moving to Adelaide would increase his chances of even temporary work, which may lead onto something else. Regardless, we wouldn't want to stay in Port Augusta, as we need more facilities/stimulation/café society.

Anyone any thoughts on whether such a move would improve his chances?

Cheers

Get out of South Australia! It's insular etc etc. Over here ex South Aussies call Adelaide 30, 30. 30 mins and 30 years behind the rest of the country