Tony Abbott has done it. He has stopped the boats.

Parley

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The more illegals getting here, the less jobs, don't you think!

No? seems the jobs have gone down with no boats arriving but was less of an issue the previous years with all these boats arriving.

Maybe these boats are good for the economy? Tony Abbott would spin it that way if it suited his agenda

More thankfully do share my views though.

I'm yet to meet an educated Aussie who thinks this boat "issue" is actually a pressing issue.

They realise it's all for political gain of a certain less educated section of society. In fact I doubt it would even be mentioned if you didn't have to vote like the UK

It seems Tony has done it.

Fantastic news to me and most Australians.

Are you kidding? He's towing destitute refugees back to an uncertain future, sitting back while they kill each other on Manus Island and otherwise just keeping totally silent on what is happening to the rest of the boats (being sunk/ignored/towed elsewhere perhaps?)

It's the most horrific, inhumane and xenophobic border policy of perhaps any civilised nation.

So typically Australian.

I suppose until some on here get a handle on International Law. It is not illegal to claim asylum. No invitation required. Simple really.

No. but it is illegal to arrive by boat without a valid visa.

Hence why they are often termed illegal immigrants.

The UN also recognise them as entering illegally.

Are you kidding? He's towing destitute refugees back to an uncertain future, sitting back while they kill each other on Manus Island and otherwise just keeping totally silent on what is happening to the rest of the boats (being sunk/ignored/towed elsewhere perhaps?)

It's the most horrific, inhumane and xenophobic border policy of perhaps any civilised nation.

So typically Australian.

A very bad look for Australia. A government that should be acting in a statesman like manner chasing the ill informed Bogan vote, more appropriate for the fifties than a modern, multi cultural nation, attempting to carve out a place in Asia. Rather sad indeed.

You should know, the Green's even won ahead of Liberals for the Melbourne seat. Protest vote much?

Nothing to do with a protest vote.

The Greens held the seat previously and retained it. Absolutely nothing to do with Asylum seekers.

Tony Abbott's approval rating went up in the last poll and Bill Shorten's down which is more of a guide.

But there are many issues in play not just asylum seekers.

No. but it is illegal to arrive by boat without a valid visa.

Hence why they are often termed illegal immigrants.

The UN also recognise them as entering illegally.

Asylum seekers do not need visa's to claim asylum in another country. They must state they are fleeing persecution and wish to apply for asylum in the country of entry. The UNHCR recognizes that it is impossible in many cases to have the valid papers in place, especially if fleeing a life and death situation and/or persecution in country normally resident.

Your criteria, nearly all those in the sprawling camps in Thailand from Burmese ethnic groups or those in Africa, would not have had to be admitted to those host countries that hold tens of thousands. Nor Turkey, Jordon or Lebanon with the many tens of thousands, impacting on local populations and infrastructure with the fleeing Syrian folk, who mostly have few if any papers.

Nothing to do with a protest vote.

The Greens held the seat previously and retained it. Absolutely nothing to do with Asylum seekers.

Tony Abbott's approval rating went up in the last poll and Bill Shorten's down which is more of a guide.

But there are many issues in play not just asylum seekers.

You were saying...

"Mr Bandt won the seat from Labor in 2010.

He said it was clear that people in Melbourne were sick of the race to the bottom and "beating up on refugees"

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/special-features/adam-bandt-confident-he-will-retain-seat-of-melbourne-for-the-greens/story-fnho52jj-1226713564884

I'm yet to meet an educated Aussie who thinks this boat "issue" is actually a pressing issue.

They realise it's all for political gain of a certain less educated section of society. In fact I doubt it would even be mentioned if you didn't have to vote like the UK

Correct. The boats issue is seen a standing joke in Canberra, the most highly educated populace of anywhere in Australia, knows it's just a right wing beat up, the actual numbers are inconsequential compared to other countries. Just like 'reds under the beds' back in Menzies day.

As I said he retained his seat absolutely nothing to do with Abbott or Asylum Seekers.

Did you just not read his own quote? He acknowledges why people in Melbourne are voting for him. Also Abbott was the leader when he won his seat originally.

The majority of Australians are in favour of strong border protection and an effective deterrent.

As has been mentioned the minority are very vocal, but not representative of most Australians views on the issue.

Do you really think both Liberal and Labor would have instituted such tough border protection policies if their constituents were not in favour of such measures ?

Obviously not.

As I said he retained his seat absolutely nothing to do with Abbott or Asylum Seekers.

Those things do come into play along with others. Inner City Melbourne, tends to be populated by educated, socially conscious inclined folk, who can see through Abbott and his Neo Con policies and generally support and want a fairer, tolerant and are not scared of foreigners who look different, type of country.

Those things do come into play along with others. Inner City Melbourne, tends to be populated by educated, socially conscious inclined folk, who can see through Abbott and his Neo Con policies and generally support and want a fairer, tolerant and are not scared of foreigners who look different, type of country.

Exactly, I brought it up as it is his area too. Doubt he is living in this electoral seat though...

The majority of Australians are in favour of strong border protection and an effective deterrent.

As has been mentioned the minority are very vocal, but not representative of most Australians views on the issue.

Do you really think both Liberal and Labor would have instituted such tough border protection policies if their constituents were not in favour of such measures ?

Obviously not.

Neither party displayed statesman like qualities and it was a race to the bottom. We know who won it, but sadly the shock jocks , all of whom seem to hail from the ribald right side of politics, Murdoch press, and the slogans for Bogans won out the day.

Just for fun, let's assume you're right. Somalia it is then. How will you repatriate them when the Somali govt won't let you land either by plane or boat? I'm afraid you're just ignoring the practical details of how these things work just to trot out the "send 'em back" populist line.

Aren't there flights to Somalia? Don't know what the implications are of a cancelled visa to be honest but that is the least that should happen to those guys, IF they ever catch anyone. I suppose if they don't get sent back to wherever we will just have to wear the cost of the jail term that they will get and then what?? Be interesting if they have no visa.

Also another good reason for being very selective about who gets in in the first place.

Edited by Paul1Perth