Tony Abbott has done it. He has stopped the boats.

Parley

I think you are wrong. I've heard people from Christmas Island, including the governor being interviewed and they've backed up that arrivals have stopped. Also heard stories from ABC journalists who have tracked down would be asylum seekers who had paid out for boats and got their money back off the people smugglers, much to my surprise. Didn't think the people smugglers would be giving refunds.

The ABC are pretty independent of the government and seem to be doing their level best in finding any story that might make the government out to be telling lies about arrivals.

Boats haven't touched base (CI) for 50 plus days as they have been towed back. Including one that almost made it to Darwin. That has little to do with no boats attempting the journey, or even how long the charade can be maintained.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I was working on processing I would be more suspicious of these than people arriving by boat, They would be on the next plane back from wherever they came from if it was left to me. Same as would happen to people from other countries if they rocked up with no papers.

Can't see that they would be able to just disappear for a few hours with all the security around. Maybe though, I see you mentioned Heathrow and I'm sure the bigger the airport the harder it is to keep track of people. It would still be tricky (or should be) to disappear for any length of time before passport control.

Thankfully folk with your world view are not in a position of deciding who is a refugee and who isn't then. Some have papers some don't. Some were unable to obtain owing to the situation in the country they fled.

I think the point that is being missed is that by towing back the boats, and forcing them back to Indonesia, the message is getting through.

You cannot get to Australia.

The message is now sinking in, and the boats are stopping altogether as they realise its futile to even try.

As already stated, don't know how many times, accountability is at an all time low with this government. Now a secret, military operation, much to the dismay of the naval establishment, no doubt.

Yeh, so secret everyone knows about it. I would think the Navy guys would be glad of something worth while to do, most of the time they are bored shitless.

Guest Guest66881

Aussie navy is lost at sea alot, five times in the same area of Indonesian seas, not good that - makes you wonder how they find all these boat peeps.

Well, leaving aside for a moment the racist slant on your observation, you do realize that Africa is a continent, not a country. You can't just "send them back to Africa", you have to determine to which political entity they belong. It's like the US saying "send them back to Europe", then dropping off a plane load of Russian mafia at Luton airport.

Well until they catch them they won't be sure which part of Africa they came from. Not heard, since either case, whether they caught anyone or not. I'd put a bet on Somalia though.

Well until they catch them they won't be sure which part of Africa they came from. Not heard, since either case, whether they caught anyone or not. I'd put a bet on Somalia though.

Just for fun, let's assume you're right. Somalia it is then. How will you repatriate them when the Somali govt won't let you land either by plane or boat? I'm afraid you're just ignoring the practical details of how these things work just to trot out the "send 'em back" populist line.

I think most Australian's would rather he tackled rising unemployment

Or maybe he's a genius and will stop the boats by making Australia poorer than the countries they come from

The leaking of some 10,000 names of asylum seekers, sounds to me an inside job to rightly subvert, (IMO) the present illogical not to say probable illegal policy of depriving humanity to those incarcerated. As such their privacy has been compromised and they should be released without further ado.

They should now be given automatic asylum if the Aussie government has inadvertently identified them, standard practice when you identify an asylum seeker and put them in danger of ever returning home. The lot will get in, whether they would have been previously accepted or rejected on merit.

Be interesting to see how Abbott plays this one......spent tens of millions trying to prevent them coming in the back door, then leaves the front door wide open.

Yeh, so secret everyone knows about it. I would think the Navy guys would be glad of something worth while to do, most of the time they are bored shitless.

Just show's how little you know about the navy and their distinct lack of keenness in being politicised. Indeed the Indonesian press along with the UK Guardian does a grand job keeping us on shore informed.

They should now be given automatic asylum if the Aussie government has inadvertently identified them, standard practice when you identify an asylum seeker and put them in danger of ever returning home. The lot will get in, whether they would have been previously accepted or rejected on merit.

Be interesting to see how Abbott plays this one......spent tens of millions trying to prevent them coming in the back door, then leaves the front door wide open.

Indeed they should. China voiced concern to Australia today with regards the human rights record towards children in detention. Not a good look by this government in the neighbourhood.

In my 15 years living mostly in western Sydney have never met an asylum seeker, so I can't really comment on whether stopping them is a good idea or not. Some Australians feel very strongly that they should be stopped. Others believe equally strongly that they deserve to be treated humanely and in accordance with the treaties that Australia has signed. The anti-refugee schemes such as "Sovereign Borders" and "Pacific Solution" certainly cost billions of dollars. I personally would rather my tax dollars be spent on something a bit more worthwhile.

I think most Australian's would rather he tackled rising unemployment

Or maybe he's a genius and will stop the boats by making Australia poorer than the countries they come from

Or very willing to write off the bottom 25% of the population or more. And allow the enslavement in debt another quarter of the population ....but most importantly the boats have slowed, so the rest doesn't matter we're way ahead.