Info on oz supermarkets, places to visit, internal flights ect

Guest Edinburgh to Sydney

Hi All

Got this from a girl i work with so though i would pass it on

she has moved over to the uk from Sydney

Must do:

• Have chips with chicken salt (in Australia crisps are also called chips - so when going to chippy ask for hot chips!)
  • Eat every flavour of tim tam (best ever chocolate biscuits)
  • Try: - Cherry Ripe (Choccy Bar)
  • Jatz (nothing quite like them here - Ritz comes the closest, but is a huge dissapointment compared to Jatz)
  • eucyalptus lollies (sweets = lollies)
  • Jaffas (round hard shell choccies)
  • beef burger from chip shop (totally not the same as a UK one)
  • Woolworths Mud Cake - yummy!
  • Rosella Tomato soup is best tomato soup on the market.
  • Bega Cheese is best normal (chedder like) cheese.
  • Hug a koala ( but watch out for the claws)

Be warned

no square sausages in Oz

no orange cheese

milk etc is in mls - no pints

distance in kms - no miles

cans of soft drink are bigger - 375 mls - compared to UK's 330 mls!

Weekend away info

Hunter Valley (lots of wine tasting)

Cessnock is good (bout 2 - 2.5 hrs from Sydney)

Darling Harbour, the Rocks, the Opera House (the usual)

Try not to hit any Kangaroos - they do a lot of damage to your car if they hit you!

Buying a Car - try the trading post (online and also in paper form from newsagents).

Further afield trips - drive up to the Gold Coast and Brisbane and then onto the Glass Mountains at Marocydore - stop at Coffs Harbour overnight - is good halfway point - Opal Cove Resort is very nice - at Coffs as a tourist you have to go to the big banana - but that is rather sad! There is also the Jetty strip which has nice cafes etc and good beach - then heading north there is Byron Bay - great surf, rather new agey community - lots of backpackers as well - big tourist place, then keep going north to Gold Coast - great for shopping - then up to the Sunshine Coast - tourists must stop at the Big Pineapple and Big Macadamia Nut! Harvey Bay is very scenic and nice, further north still is Cairns and the Great Barrier Reef - that you really do have to go and have a dive in and spend some time there - very lovely - you can also go across to the Whitsunday islands - again very pretty.

Further afield requires flying!

Canberra you can drive to - though not much there - a big merino and nice roundabouts - roundabouts with water in them - but pretty much a concrete city - but if you want some colder weather head there -

or much closer to Sydney and much prettier is Katoomba - which has the three sisters to look at! Some nice mountains and it does snow - if you are missing the cold and the snow - book a few days away at Thredbo Ski Resort!

Melbourne - Luna Park, trams... And loads of shops - and off course the Melbourne Cup (horse race).

Ayers Rock - well it does look pretty awesome - but it is basically a big red rock in the middle of nowhere - about 2 hrs away is Kakadu national park which is supposedly very good (I've never been).

Budget Airlines

http://www.jetstar.com/au/index.html and http://www.virginblue.com.au/ are your two budget airlines - which at the moment have some really good flight prices - £30 each way to Melbourne from Sydney.

Standard beer for NSW is Tooheys, and Four X.

supermarkets and shops

1. Coles = Sainsburys
  2. Woolworths = Tescos
  3. Franklins = Asda

None of these do the tv/electricals like they do here.

Big W has cheep clothes and a variety of stuff at reasonable prices - bedding etc, as does Target.

There is no postal service on a Saturday.

YEY! Thanks! You have made my day! We cannot stand sausage squares. Were very poor when we first moved in together, a couple of blokey mates also lived with us, therefore lived on pale pink sausage squares for a couple of years. So pleased you can't get them over there. Knew the Ozzies had taste! :jiggy:

Emma x

Guest jonny.co@tiscali.co.uk

hi Gemma.

good info doll.keep it coming.good luck with everything,hope to meet up when we get to NSW.

nic x

ps. did you hear maryport/allonby road had collapsed last week, during the storms,temporary repaired,and they are building a big theatre/civic hall down by the docks.:cute:

I know ,I seen it on the BBC new, I then had to go on to the Times and star web site to read all about it. My dad lives down the docks in Mary port and he was telling me about the civic hall. I have not bee down for about 6 months.

Husband is desperate for a Pedro’s kebab and I can’t wait for a patty from Kowloon in Seaton

It would be god to meet up when you all come over, I will keep you up to date with all the info.

I can’t wait now. Just want to go

4 weeks to go and counting, bring on the sun shine

P.S the shop called target is fab they have it in America and I love it, you can get every thing from that shop.

To give you an idea have a look at the USA bed site www.target.com.

The Oz web site is not that good but they sell every thing. The USA web site will give you a better idea

Gemma :jiggy:

Guest theblueboy1969

Square sausage is in WA as well as potato scone, black pudding. Had a scottish fish and chip shop round the corner from me in Wanneroo and they sold deep fried scotch pies, battered sausage and black pudding plus irn bru and tizer. I now live in the stick (not for long) but can get irn bru.

Guest Invisible Fish

General cheese comes in 3 flavours - mild, tasty and bitey

Everything is the same, but tastes different. Coleslaw isn't the same, neither is potato salad, HP sauce, gravy, vinegar. McCain's seem to have the dominance in pizzas.

Fruit and veg from the grocers is usually of a better quality than back in the UK.

We have Coles/Safeway/IGA - none as good as Tescos.

But, that's part of the fun - everythings new and different. It doesn't mean it has to be better.

Guest asylon

And there is loads of orange cheese here!

Cheese is bog awful generally

Tim Tams are the most over rated biscuit in the world (I'm with Jo), but the thing is, there is no alternative over here so you'll start thinking they're great ,just like the Aussies do.

( I do like it here, honest)

Ax

Dark choc TimTams are good - very good in fact. Cheese here is awful - marginally tasty plastic at best.

I dont think the person has actually been to Canberra - if they stopped at the Big Merino no wonder they were confused, that is Goulburn!!!! Canberra is a lovely place and if it is going to be your new national capital city you really should come and see it!

Guest YellowGecko

Mmmm.. TimTams!

Chose to stop eaing them when we found out they contain cancer causing carcinogens.. shame really, they were good.

Back to Penguins... !!

:smile:

Archived