I just bought a house

northshorepom

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not going into full details, but:

Hi, AMAZING house...dream house! I'm just wondering, slightly nosey, how did you afford it! Huge savings? Well paid job? How much deposit did u need? Don't feel u have to answer..I would love to know the cost..ha..fabulous house...congrats x

A decent deposit and good earnings.....but yeah, still a substantial mortgage. Sydney is, well, expensive.....but no worse than London - e.g.:

Hi and congrats...any chance of telling us how much you paid for it....????

I am sure everyone is interested,,!!

Thanks, FNS

Somewhere between $1m and $1.5m is as close as I'll go. Yeah, it's a lot of money, but the suburb we live in I kind of liken to Richmond in SW London - a leafy green place with good local amenities and a convenient 35-40 mins public transport journey to the city centre. Can you get a nice 4 bed house with a good layout, garden, space etc, in Richmond for 600-800K GBP? I think you'll struggle

Similarly, my S-i-L is currently trying to buy a house in Leichhardt in the Inner West of Sydney. It is, I guess, the equivalent of Stoke Newington or Wandsworth - not in the first flush of gentrified inner city areas like Islington or Battersea (Sydney equivalent of those would be in the eastern suburbs or maybe Pyrmont) but the next tier on. She can (just about) afford a 2 bed period house with courtyard garden for IRO $750-$900K. Again, can you buy the equivalent (say a 2 bed terrace house) for 450K GBP in Stoke Newington? Hard work I think. It'll be ex-LA stuff on a still mostly council estate

But yes, Sydney market is expensive and at the moment pretty hyped. In 3 months I've learnt a heck of a lot about the process and everything about what house are worth on the Upper North Shore - and unfortunately not much about what they're worth in other areas of this large city. It's very local. When we first started we thought we would end up buying in St Ives as received wisdom is that it is cheaper than Wahroonga or Turramurra. Actually it seems as though right now, it isn't. Everything we saw in St Ives was either seriously compromised or went for big money, or both. OTOH, we've seen some great houses in Wahroonga that went for quite reasonable (relatively) money.....and South Turramurra/West Pymble appear to offer really quite good (again it's relative) value

Congrats, if I can ever afford a house not looking forward to the auction process. How do you know what sort of offer to make if there is no advertised price? Why would the sellers take it instead of going to auction and let everyone fight it out? Interested why do you think values will be lots higher in 5 years, its already the most overpriced in the world, surely the only way is down?

Australia is short 200,000 houses according to a recent report. They just ain't gonna go down.

It's a great feeling isn't it. We didn't feel like we had properly "arrived" unitl we got the house. Never rented before we came here and it never felt permanent somehow. Back to the grind now though mate. "Fences need repairing and there's money to be earned, but I'd rather sit right here and think about the World."

10 points for the band.:biggrin:

I heard something on 702 this arvo about huge rise in overseas ownership, 80 million Chinese have enough money,to buy here, hence auctions conducted in Mandarin, with no Aussie buyers (because they can't afford to bid.) So, they either rent,,or move way out west. Perhaps the Govt will change the laws on foreign ownership?