The student visa

TomasMykal

I'm sorry, but your chances ARE bleak. And that is assuming nothing changes. My chances where great when I came in a student visa and just as I was literally half a week from being able to apply they changed the rules and they became bleak. It took me another three years to get pr after that. Luckily there were other visas I could get to give me time. You won't even have that.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It has crossed my mine that the people you are currently working for are fobbing you off a bit to be honest... placing all the onus on you to find detaails of a visa that either doesn't exist, or you are not eligible for one that does.... the reason I say this is because University's are very used to dealing with/applying for visas. I've worked at five now, including two here in Australia. They employ people all the time on 457's before often sponsoring for 186 PR. I went through the process myself, the HR dept had no need for an agent, they knew EXACTLY what they were doing, and what I needed to do.... they knew the rules, and I suspect the Uni you are working for do too...

It doesn't matter if you have a job if they job doesn't qualify for sponsorship.... and an admin job rarely fills the criteria. The kinds of University jobs that do are research or lecturing - and usually require PhD as the qualification in the area relevant to employment.

You are employed in an admin role (without any major qualifications), it is not a need area and lots of people can fill it.

If the university wants you and can prove to the contrary, then maybe they will get you the visa.

If you have already worked there more than six months then you have broken the WHV conditions, so hopefully that is not the case, as this will reflect badly on any future visa applications.

Edited by Sammy1

Well this is the point, the position I have been offered is actually within the new English esl department that is opening next semester.

I don't hv a degree but I have exactly the right qualification and above the five years experience needed.

If I hv to leave its no biggie, I like it here but the world is a big place and there are many opportunities out there

Well this is the point, the position I have been offered is actually within the new English esl department that is opening next semester.

I don't hv a degree but I have exactly the right qualification and above the five years experience needed.

If I hv to leave its no biggie, I like it here but the world is a big place and there are many opportunities out there

In that case, they should be researching the type of visa they wish to employ you on, instead of leaving you to post questions on here.

Ah man I just wrote a huge post explaining why it is being done like this but tbh that really is missing the point

It will happen, just first need to make sure it legally can

Ok, you have been given a lot of help on this thread and you haven't exactly been polite.

Now it is up to you to either contact a migration agent or actually have the university do the footwork.

Unis can't sponsor for any position under a HEO8 which is deputy head level (admin) or senior lecturer level (requires experience supervising PhD students). Without a degree....no chance

Unis can't sponsor for any position under a HEO8 which is deputy head level (admin) or senior lecturer level (requires experience supervising PhD students). Without a degree....no chance

I was offered two sponsorship deals from unis at levels below that. It must depend on the uni. Also don't have a degree, just diploma but experience not found in oz.

Not quite accurate... if you have a PhD, and are being employed as a lecturer or research fellow, it is entirely possible to be sponsored. You do not need to be a senior lecturer/research fellow.

Not quite accurate... if you have a PhD, and are being employed as a lecturer or research fellow, it is entirely possible to be sponsored. You do not need to be a senior lecturer/research fellow.

I wasn't even that high, just very much in demand. I did have another uni where the unit manager wanted to sponsor me but hr said no, so maybe they had those types of rules.

Sydney uni and Adelaide uni certainly don't.

The point is without any degree (which is what the poster indicated) a uni cannot sponsor you. You do not qualify for a job as a lecturer.

I wasn't even that high, just very much in demand. I did have another uni where the unit manager wanted to sponsor me but hr said no, so maybe they had those types of rules.

Sydney uni and Adelaide uni certainly don't.

Unit managers want the path of least resistance...we have someone can we keep them...universities HR know the big picture..they would get he flack from the papers if someone in a low level job was sponsored where there was a high level of unemployed graduates left begging,

Some jobs can't be done by someone with a degree. As I said I don't have one and had two unis which the hr department happily agreed to my being sponsored. They were the ones sending the job offer letters out including details of sponsorship.

Although it doesn't apply to the op, my point is that it all depends on the role and in my experience your statement is incorrect.

Update guys

From what I know now my circumstances do permit for sponsorship. I took yr advice and approached HR about this who found this out and formally offered it to me. However, due to perhaps time pondering and perhaps staying in Oz for the wrong reason Ive decided to keep going on my travels.

I love Oz but perhaps now is just not the right time. I really appreciate some of you for trying to help, but seeking professional advice is advisable to anyone reading this post.

Good luck guys and thx again

TomasMykal, for the sake of educating us all and all the readers who may come across this thread in the future, would you care to share how you could possibly have been offered sponsorship? What visa and job title were you able to achieve?

Unfortunately many people move on and then don't answer pm's.

I'm sorry, but as I think you know from your response you had the sense to delete, no matter what your hr department said, they wouldn't have been able to sponsor you even if they wanted to.

I think it has alot to do with the post you wrote on this thread.

I found it incredibly unhelpful whilst at the same time intentionally deflating. Your advice was categorically incorrect, which means that your biting, rather blunt and as I have established untrue post makes you look like a bit of a plonker.

The reason I do not want to share with you is simply have nothing more to say to you and Im finished posting on this. Anyone else feel free to PM me