The student visa

TomasMykal

Hi guys

Can anyone tell me if the whv can be transferred to a student visa without leaving Australia !

Secondly how much does it now cost and is its length of duration the same as the course you are studying or does it have its own specific length

Thirdly is there an age limit..?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no such thing as "transferring" your visa, it simply does not exist as a concept. According to this, you can apply for a student visa onshore if you wish to though.

http://www.immi.gov.au/students/students/qualifying-visas-for-student-visa-applications-lodged-australia.htm

I think the costs you need to consider are really the cost of the course, rather than the cost of the visa. Medical and veterinary will be very expensive courses for example.

I don't believe there is any age limit.

Thanks for your reply mate

The costs of a course don't sound too bad, in actual fact I was speaking to an Italian lady who paying 1000 dollars per term which is nothing

She did mention that medical insurance is expensive but being British would my Medicare still count..?

Thanks for your reply mate

The costs of a course don't sound too bad, in actual fact I was speaking to an Italian lady who paying 1000 dollars per term which is nothing

She did mention that medical insurance is expensive but being British would my Medicare still count..?

The cheapest courses would likely be English course.

My course six years ago cost $10k per year. That was the cheapest one I could find which had some sort of a chance of pr at the end of the two years. Some are FAR more expensive. I would be very shocked if you could find something for anywhere near $1000 a term.

Have a look at the website of the place you are considering studying and then see if they have an 'international student' section. The fees are much higher for people without pr or citizenship.

You also have the visa fees, medicals, and health insurance. You have to have the medical insurance even if you are entitled to Medicare. You can't work for more than 20 hours a week.

The time the visa runs for depends on how long the course is and what tins of year it finishes. Some people end up with less than a month at the end, I had 2.5 months.

No. There are private colleges but they are just as expensive as tafe but without the good reputation often. A fair few were shut down a few years ago. One was a cooking 'college' which only had a microwave to cook with!

What course are they doing? It's certainly worth looking into.

By the way, what are you hoping to get out of doing a course here? Most pathways to pr from studying in oz have either been removed or made near impossible. I certainly wouldn't recommend studying to try to get pr.

Decent private colleges still exist with VET/TAFE course fees ranging from AUD2500 per half year for career training e.g. front line management, to AUD4000, payable per term, depends upon which city and nationality.

Thats good to know, can you recommend any of these in Sydney..??

When I was looking for course all of the cheap ones were ones which wouldn't ever lead to pr. some tried to tell me they would, but luckily I checked things out myself. There were quite a few people that didn't and totally wasted their money on a cheaper course and had to leave.

The cheapest I could find was just under $11k per year (which could lead to pr, plenty much cheaper which wouldn't).

• 2 months later...

Hi again

Well this sponsorship business is looking more and more difficult, what Ive now gotta do is think about doing a bachelors

One that would lead to pr is all Im thinking about. I have a job which said they would keep me but Id like to find out about this work restirction stuff.

It says 40 hours per fortnight unless 'Work that is a formal registered part of your course is not included in the limit of 40 hours per fortnight.' Can anyone help explain this a bit more clearly?

If I work for the uni that I am studying at does that help at all in the amount of hours I can work..?

Also what about ABN? Can you work on an ABN aswell as the 40hrs?

Also blossom could you pm me a link to that 11kper year uni?

Thanks guys

Work that is part of your course is for courses that have specific elements that are workplace based. The one that comes to mind is nursing where a significant amount of the course is working in a hospital. So, no, working in a Uni would not be sufficient

I would advice against doing a course just for migration purposes. First, the mahority will not lead automatically to PR. The only ones that may are engineering. Second, what is on the list now, may not be in several years time. Third degrees as damned hard work and unless you are genuinly passionate about the subject your unlikley to complete a year

Work that is part of your course is for courses that have specific elements that are workplace based. The one that comes to mind is nursing where a significant amount of the course is working in a hospital. So, no, working in a Uni would not be sufficient

I would advice against doing a course just for migration purposes. First, the mahority will not lead automatically to PR. The only ones that may are engineering. Second, what is on the list now, may not be in several years time. Third degrees as damned hard work and unless you are genuinly passionate about the subject your unlikley to complete a year

This is good advice

However I have found a course my uni runs which might be what Im looking for.

I just hv one more question about credits. I have been looking online and just so I know where I stand, can anyone tell me how many credits a CELTA is worth in Australia? Ive looked and all I can find is that is a Level 5 qualification

This is good advice

However I have found a course my uni runs which might be what Im looking for.

I just hv one more question about credits. I have been looking online and just so I know where I stand, can anyone tell me how many credits a CELTA is worth in Australia? Ive looked and all I can find is that is a Level 5 qualification

That will be up to the individual university to decide.

The Overseas Qualification Unit can assess your qualifications before you apply to a university. The university will then determine how much or little credit ( advanced standing) to give you towards your study.

Earlier in the thread you stated you did not want to study to get PR, but now you do?

Edited by Sammy1

You need to get a good agent to look over your chances of getting pr at the end. Try @George Lombard

In order to get pr at the end, even for sponsored visas there are a whole other set of little rules which are not advertised and trip people up. Recognition of prior learning often means you haven't then studied enough to qualify.

The work they are saying is not included is things like nurse training where some has to be in the work place. It would be unpaid.

The tax office is linked to immigration and know how much tax you are paying. They are not silly and an tell if you are working over.

There is no way you will be able to work extra at the uni. They can be fined if they employ you for more than 40 hours a fortnight.

I don't have any links to any uni courses that cheap. I would be surprised if you found any. I went to tafe which is cheaper than uni. You will have to look at the international fees for whatever course you are considering.

Seriously though, spend the money for a good agent. We nearly had to leave Australia and it is heart breaking when you have paid all that money and put your life on hold for that long. Many people did have to leave when the rules were all changed and they were no longer eligable for pr.

To be honest, and I think you probably know this yourself, having read this thread and your others, options to stay at this time are pretty bleak for you. The absolute best thing you can do is go an speak with a MARA registered agent who will very clearly tell you how things stand at this point. They are the only people who can provide a fully informed picture based on asking you all the right questions to get from you all the necessary detail. If you are even considering paying international fees to study here then whatever an agent charges will be small change in comparison. Thy will either find you an appropriate pathway to stay, or will tell you straight to go enjoy the rest of your working holiday for what it is.... either way, money well spent in your situation I think - because you're just going around in circles with yourself here.

Edited by Tickled Pink

To be honest, and I think you probably know this yourself, having read this thread and your others, options to stay at this time are pretty bleak for you. The absolute best thing you can do is go an speak with a MARA registered agent who will very clearly tell you how things stand at this point. They are the only people who can provide a fully informed picture based on asking you all the right questions to get from you all the necessary detail. If you are even considering paying international fees to study here then whatever an agent charges will be small change in comparison. Thy will either find you an appropriate pathway to stay, or will tell you straight to go enjoy the rest of your working holiday for what it is.... either way, money well spent in your situation I think - because you're just going around in circles with yourself here.

I appreciate yr advice but to say bleak is a bit far. Yes it will be hard but i hv the job, I hv the experience needed for my offered position, it just depends on my company knowing what to do. My qualification might be a big help as it also relevant to my position .

However I will see an migration lawyer to see Exactly where I stand

Thx guys

Tomas, you came on here for advice. Everyone has given you the same advice.

You are unwilling to listen to that advice.

Feel free to study a course, that will cost you ten's of thousands in course fee's whilst only working 20 hours a week and then at the end of the course enjoy your plane journey back to the UK.

Unless you go to a migration agent MARA registered and pay the associated fee's you have very little chance of staying in employment with your company. Bleak seems the right word to use from the information you have provided. The only person not accepting this is yourself.