arriving in oz

Guest cc

Hi,

Can anyone tell me what happens when we get off the plain in oz after validating our visa.

Do we have to fill in any more forms or anything like that.

My husband and I are flying on new years day to live in Brisbane.

Thanks

Claire :P

Guest Phil Olsen

Hi Claire

If you have a valid visa, the customs people welcome you through immigration clearance, sight your visa, stamp your passport and your in.

Customs are really friendly to migrants generally, so don't worry.

Best wishes

Phil

Guest Phil Olsen

By the way, immigration clearance is just the term for when you step up to the customs officer (big words for what we always do when we arrive at airports)

Phil

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Claire

Sorry to butt in on your thread, but I've got a query about this as well, and Phil's reply might interest you too.

Phil, my Mum is not far off getting a Contributory Parent visa (if Centrelink ever get their act up together, which doesn't seem very likely as of today. :evil: )

A Centrelink woman told my sister the other day that all new migrants are required to complete the following form and submit it to Centrelink asap after arrival:

http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/internet.nsf/ea3b9a1335df87bcca2569890008040e/d0e7ca8c5e8f5fa3ca2571840007bfea!OpenDocument&Highlight=2,Residency

She gave Elaine a garbled story to the effect that new Migrants are not allowed to claim anything from Centrelink for 2 years after arrival, but that the two years does not start to run until this form has been submitted, and supposedly it takes DIMA a further two years to confirm that somebody arrived in Oz 2 years ago - ie 4 years in total.

All of which sounds like absolute rubbish to me. How long somebody has lived in Australia for is a question of fact which does not depend on this form, for a start. The facts can be ascertained from DIMA's Movements record and I don't believe that it takes 4 years for them to confirm the result of a quick search on their website.

I also think that the Centrelink woman does not understand the CP visa, and that she imagines it is a case of a penniless parent arriving in Oz and then claiming every benefit in sight the minute the two years is up.

However, with the Centrelink woman insisting that all new migrants are required to register themselves with Centrelink via this form, we are not sure whther it is mandatory to do this or whether Centrelink are just clutching at half-witted straws in their usual incompetent fashion.

Are you able to shed any light on this mystery, please?

Thanks very much

Gill

Guest Mark'n'Ju

Its true that you do have to register with centrelink as you can apply for your tax file number through them.There are certain things that you can claim vertually straight away i.e family credit,rent assistance,child care assistance.All of which is a fairly straight forward process and we found the centrelink staff friendly and more than helpful.Allthough not sure how it may work with C/P visa

Hope this helps.

Mark

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Mark and thanks for this

Centrelink are probably very good at their traditional role, but they only got dragged into visas two years ago, when administering the Assurance of Support Scheme was given to them. Until then, DIMA had dealt with AoS's themselves.

The AoS scheme sits wekk outside of Centrelink's traditional remit and their staff haven't got a clue how to administer it, because they don't understand the first thing about the visas to which the AoS's relate. That is the real weakness with it. Also, they seem to have selected all their most useless staff and shoved them into the AoS section. They've all been 'promoted' to jobs they can't do, in a shining example of the Peter Principle in action.

Contributory Parents cannot claim a dime for 10 years, and it is backed by a Bond of $10,000 which is held for 10 years. No other visa is more onerous in terms of this very high bond and the very long period for which it is held. But you can get a CP visa within 12-15 months, as opposed to 12-15 years for the non-contributory version.

Still, if it is mandatory to fill in this Centrelink form, even though it would not enable my mother to claim anything from or via Centrelink except a TFN, possibly, though I thought the Tax Office issued those, we'll do it.

Thanks again

Gill

Guest Mark'n'Ju

G,day Gill

We came ourselves on an assurance of support visa earlier this year with a $5000 bond and we can still claim the afore mentioned benifits without affecting the bond.

I think at the moment there are still only 2 centrelink staff members assigned to the AoS scheme in s/e Queensland (well there was last year)so I rekon there is quite a workload.

Mark

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Mark and thanks again

Yep, my reading of the AoS stuff is the same as yours. You can claim the perks, but Mum can't because she doesn't have dependent children etc.

Also, her Assurer (my sister) lives in Perth. We are having a nigghtmare with C/Link in Perth, because my sister is self-employed and C/Link keep shifting the goalp9sts about what they want.

I'm off to bed now.

Nite

Gill

Archived