life in Karratha

raveenasultan

Hi,

I've got a job offer in a childcare centre in Karratha WA and wanted to know what its like there as I'll be living there for four years. Is it still a small town feel or is it being developed and changing everyday? I've google earthed and google imaged Karratha and from the images, Karratha still looks like a small town with a very country feel. I'd love to hear from anyone moving or currently living up there!

Many thanks,

Raveena Sultan

Edited by raveenasultan

There are plans to grow the place, but it will take time - meanwhile, its little more than a remote industrial town, with a few highly paid company employees and a high FIFO population. Woodside and Rio are the main employers and the main reason for the existence of Karratha. Even by current Oz standards, it is an outrageously expensive (with a capital F) place to live - great for fishing and families with small kids (under 10). If you are a single female looking for male company, then one of my single female colleagues summed it up nicely by saying 'the odds are good, but the goods are odd'.

Some great beaches, complete with nasty jellyfish (at the wrong time of the year) and hordes of sandflies that can really spoil a day out. Very hot in summer - great in winter (although the occasional cyclone might pass by). Sunsets to die for all year round..and mostly fabulous sunrises, along with the spectacular stairway to the moon at Hearson's Cove (especially if you're into photography)

A small shopping centre for all your basics, couple of drinking places and a few half-arsed restaurants of dubious quality. If you're into 'mind altering substances' you'll be well catered for.

If you are a single female from the UK going out by yourself, with no prior experience of rural Oz, its a hardship posting and I wouldn't recommend it. If you haven't already committed, make sure that you fully understand how your accommodation will be provided: it can be very costly (as in really, really) - are you paying for it out of your salary (painful), are you given an allowance or it is provided free of charge? Good but pricey internet access allows contact with the real world...

You need to figure out how you will spend any free time: Broome is about 8 hours drive north, and Coral Bay is about 4/5 hours drive south - obviously, you will need a car. Perth is about 18/20 hours drive south - all of this driving is through really boring terrain, mostly on single carriageways often frequented by roadtrains. Driving at night is fraught with dangers from errant roos and cattle wandering across the road, and should only be done as a last resort. You might want to go online and see how much flight tickets cost between Karratha and Perth for an occasional getaway. The local bush area (Karrajini and Millstone) can be really stark and beautiful and definitely worth a visit - but after a year you will 'have done it all' - completing four years will be tough. It all depends on your type of character and what you hope to get out of the experience. The novelty of being in a new place, in a new country will take you through the first year but then you might get a tad bored - make sure you fully understand your employment conditions and especially what penalties are in place, just in case you don't want to stay for 4 years.

Other than that...go for it..

Edited by TerryDXB

There was a woman on here who moved to work in a centre like that (I'm sure that's what it was) and I'm sure it was Karratha aswell. She got some accommodation with the job. I'd need to look at old posts to double check but it was definitely a remote really hot place. We all wanted a update but we never heard back from her. She would of been useful for you to talk to

Forgot to mention salary is $58000 base and I pay $300 per week for my room as its a shared rental accommodation. I skyped the daycare centre manager and she said the house is big with six rooms, three bathrooms, 2 laundry rooms, a kitchen and two living rooms. The $300 cover bills such as foxtel (dont know what that is), unlimited wifi and utility bills. But mind you theres six of us living there so rent altogether adds up to $1800-$2000 per week

Edited by raveenasultan

A friend of mine in her early 20s got a job as a cook on a cattle station in NT, she was pretty much the only woman and couldn't cook! I am sure it was incredibly tough but 20 years on (& still in Australia albeit Perth) she looks back on those days misty-eyed, helped maybe by meeting a young farmer whom she later married ;)

I am sure if PIO had existed in those days and a young girl from Denmark had posted she had a job offer on a cattle station in NT, many would have doubted but for her it was the experience of a lifetime - oh any she learnt to cook and has her own organic chocolate company now!

I checked and she went to somewhere called paraburdoo so I got it wrong but if you do a search there's quite a few threads on your place. If you have any problems let one of the mods or me know and we can help :)

Not sure if I've ever posted about Para (i used to have a different name on here) but I worked there. If this place is anything like paraburdoo I personally would struggle to live there past a couple of months. Many of the locals flew out regularly to Perth for a break lol

Not sure if I've ever posted about Para (i used to have a different name on here) but I worked there. If this place is anything like paraburdoo I personally would struggle to live there past a couple of months. Many of the locals flew out regularly to Perth for a break lol

Hey, what was your other username? I'd love to visit that part of Australia just to say I've been but I dont think I could live there

I don't know that area at all,but if I were that age again?I'd definately go for it!Not everyone needs bright lights and endless shops to be happy!You go girl and let us know how you get on ok?Best wishes and wow,what a great opportunity!:cute:PS Due to lack of shops ect,imagine the cash you can save?Thats a very positive bonus imho!

Hi everyone thank you for replies! Yes I'm lucky to have accommodation provided for me with the job and all staff at the workplace seem lovely. The weather will take a lot of getting used to as I'm coming from the dead of winter in the uk to blistering heat in karratha! :laugh:

Love your attitude missy.thumbs.gif

Lived between Karratha and Dampier on the Burrup Peninsula, helping build the Woodside Gas complex and found Dampier a better place to live. Karratha was just being built at that time.

As V. Stormy says, it is a low salary, especially for that area. However, you can save quite well on that salary.

Don't be put off by the doom and gloom brigade, you really can have a good time in that area.

Go for it!

Cheers, Bobj.

Excellent, missy; be positive and you will win through.

Little story...In the camp I lived in there were 800 men and 4 girls. One of these girls was on Admin, two were dump truck drivers and the last was a greaser for all the heavy machinery. She was a big girl with...er...large breasts. Every morning she wore a clean singlet and when she came back from work...well, suffice to say, her singlet always had 2 big dirty areas...

All 4 girls were just part of a great team.

Cheers, Bobj.

Excellent, missy; be positive and you will win through.

Little story...In the camp I lived in there were 800 men and 4 girls. One of these girls was on Admin, two were dump truck drivers and the last was a greaser for all the heavy machinery. She was a big girl with...er...large breasts. Every morning she wore a clean singlet and when she came back from work...well, suffice to say, her singlet always had 2 big dirty areas...

All 4 girls were just part of a great team.

Cheers, Bobj.

Lol! Nice to hear Bobj :laugh:

Well,I bet its quite a nice little community Raveenasultan!The good thing about moving somewhere smallish is that you can walk to the shops and usually see someone you know for a yack!(talk lol).I liked living in a small country town myself,we even had to call our dr's by their first names!lol People knew me in town,at the bank,post office or whatever so yeah all good hon!Enjoy the peace and tranquility because alot of people don't actually ever experience it,and you need to tune yourself into the vibe of the place if you know what I mean?Hopefully the folks you're house sharing with will be open and friendly,and they will introduce you to even more people.I love country pubs!Used to go in mine on a friday night,all the farmers would be in there,downing their beer's and discussing how their weeks gone!Jukebox blaring,people being silly!Yeah really good memories hon!I wish you lots of good wishes and happy times ahead!Very exciting!:jiggy:

• 1 month later...
Excellent news on the job offer if have too got the same qualification and being offered a job in karratha. I see that the housing is expensive

Hi drac that is exciting news! What childcare centre is it? Mine is embracing children stripy zebra junior education centre and accommodation was offered as part of the job. Yours should do that too I think :biggrin: keep me updated I'd love to hear your adventure! I'm flying out next week (13th March 2014)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!