Homesick and scared to death about making wrong decision

Lass81

By the sounds of it you need to get back, I think the wrong decision would be to stay. Just try and go back and live in a decent area etc and be comfortable not sure if you still here but I personally wouldn't go back unless I had at least a bit of money so maybe save like mad and then go but each to their own.

This thread was started 2 years ago. I wonder what happened with the OP.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi All

Thanks for all the replies and comments they are always very helpful. I have still been coming onto MBTTUK site lots and we are STILL in Oz! There have been some personal events happened over the last year or two that have made moving back to the UK all the harder. My OH's mother died quite suddenly and he is also facing redundancy. He work's in the mining industry, locally not FIFO. But his work has been dwindling for months and not getting the hours he used too. We did feel very briefly that we might just stay in Oz and make do with visits back every couple of years. But that lasts about a week and then we feel the same. The home sickness is driving us mad right now and feel very desperate to go. Although finically we are better off now and would (probably) be better off financially staying in Oz, it just isn't enough. We really hope to go back this year and if a few other things get sorted then we will be off. We are going back in July for a two week visit regardless of what happens. Fingers crossed this is our year!

Good luck to all moving back this year.

Well you have given it time and you still feel the same so get back with a bit of a plan. I personally have made the move back before and just sold all furniture etc, makes it all bit easier I thought, one less thing to organise buy new gear when you get back with what your shipping may cost. Good luck I feel you have made right decision.

Hi all

I have been reading lots of threads on here for a while now and have decided to post and give a brief outline of our story and see what kind of response I get and any advice would be welcome.

My husband, 2 kids and I have been living in the Perth area for almost 5 years now. Homesickness has always been there coming and going, but over the last year I am feeling more and more desperate to get home(to Scotland). My husband is too and we have talked loads about what to do, how to do it, and is this the right thing for us as a family??? We both work full time, my husband works long hours and we feel like we never have enough time together and with the kids as a family. While we earn more here in Australia we feel like at times we are just getting by and could easily come undone. We are still renting which is a complete nightmare. Which I think has not helped us settle at all. We came to Australia with debts from the UK and set up a repayment plan for them which is finishing at the end of this year, so we will be better off then. We did plan on paying off our debts with the sale of our house in the UK but lost £20,000 on the sale price. At the time we were just glad to get a sale so quickly as we had to get over to Oz to start work etc.

What we have decided to do for now is keep saving as much as we can and in a year or two see how we feel then. But to be honest if I had the money I would be off tomorrow!

How do others stand this feeling and how did you reach the decision? We are really worried about making a mistake. The kids have said they would like to live in Scotland but they were only 4 and 18 months when we got here. I'm pretty confidant on getting work back in Scotland, but just not sure if we would move back to the same area.

I feel like we have gotten our selves into this no man land situation and may never feel settled again! To those of you who have gone back how long did it take you to settle and any tips would be really appreciated.

Sorry if this is a bit long winded,

Thanks in advance xx

Sorry to hear about what has a happened. You haven't made a mistake. You tried it and gave it your best shot.

Its far worse if you just rolled over and accepted it you were stuck with it and kept soldiering on "regardless".

At least you have a plan on how to get things sorted and get out - which is more than many people have.

We knew very quickly when arriving in Perth that it wasn't what we expected.

What would be much worse if you had never given it a go and spent your whole lives kicking yourselves wondering "what if".

Start your research now to find the place in Scotland where you really want to live in.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts and best wishes. We are in Perth too and find it boring and mundane to say the least. But we are glad we tried it and have leant a lot about ourselves and grown into stronger people from the experience. No regrets just time to move on.....

good attitude. no regrets, novelty may have worn off and starting to endure rather than enjoy.

the moment you admit this to yourself, it takes pressure off as you know youre ready to leave. Ive had this for a while but waiting for my citizenship ceremony.

hate referring to things/places as boring as I always felt that reflects on me but I have to say I'm bored of Sydney now. I think that's part and parcel of being in a bubble of a city with nothing around it.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts and best wishes. We are in Perth too and find it boring and mundane to say the least. But we are glad we tried it and have leant a lot about ourselves and grown into stronger people from the experience. No regrets just time to move on.....

What we all would have given for a fantastic forum like this back in 1997.

I agree with you - Perth WA may well be be the most boring bland concrete town on the entire planet.

Even Perth in Scotland, has much more going on, and that's only a small town of 50,000 people.

The longer days are fast approaching and the Perthshire countryside is on our 'long weekend' list for this year.

You know if it's not right for you so you have to do what will make you happy. Personally I find the uk boring and mundane. I like the uk...I just don't like living there, but we're all different and what's one man's meat is another man's poison.

Edited by Sassy Duck

Yes we got to the point Australia had become boring and mundane so I know what you mean. It was like a new lease of life when we arrived in England.

Yes we got to the point Australia had become boring and mundane so I know what you mean. It was like a new lease of life when we arrived in England.

:swoon:

Everything ends up as an Australian v UK thing. I'm getting heartily sick of it. Just grow up all of you.

• Like 1

Everything ends up as an Australian v UK thing. I'm getting heartily sick of it. Just grow up all of you.

Its not Aus v UK thing.

Its a forum for people moving home.

Its certainly not meant to upset anyone. Don't let it get to you and try to chillax a bit.

Like I said already, over on the other forums I read on PIO, you can read new migrants happily bashing the UK.

I think some of it is unfair because I live here and I have lived there too, but so what, its okay for them to have a whinge and a moan about UK, we all have done it on our way out too. Its their experience, and they are free to say what they want.

I'm not trying to defend my opinion but I do find Perth boring and mundane.

This comment was never meant to be a Oz vs Uk statement. Life can be boring and mundane where ever you live.

We have lost interest in living here so this doesn't help matters. We didn't know what to expect when we got here. It was a chance that we took, and we are still grateful that we got the chance.

Would be nice if we could try and be understanding with each other's views rather than defensive here on MBTTUK.

Edited by Lass81

with respect, you're on the wrong forum, even after almost 5k posts, if you expect anything else. people on here are venting as to their good and bad experiences of both countries and backing up their choices with reason.

if everyone came on here and sat on the fence, it would be a tad boring, just as people who have no opinion on things are generally dull.

never been to perth in my six years here, and I do hear more bad than good. is it actually that bland or are the veteran FIFO mining workers finally snapping and unloading prior to taking their dollars home?

Think it's what you want out of life, whatever or wherever make you happy. I do find the Australia (especially Perth) bashing on here is worse than the uk bashing though, but it's only a select few and always the same posters...they just can't seem to leave it! Very sad that a place you lived in years ago still seems to consume your life now. But it will continue on and on as per. :daydreaming:

Think it's what you want out of life, whatever or wherever make you happy. I do find the Australia (especially Perth) bashing on here is worse than the uk bashing though, but it's only a select few and always the same posters...they just can't seem to leave it! Very sad that a place you lived in years ago still seems to consume your life now. But it will continue on and on as per. :daydreaming:

Sassy Duck, do you live in Perth? What I want out of life I can't get here, family, good trustworthy friends,

the feeling of belonging and the love of the environment around me. Perth IMO is boring as once you've done the usual tourists spots & had your fill of bars/restaurants. Along with the never ending suburbia and shopping centres, we were done. The beaches are beautiful and there are all sorts of outdoor pursuits you can do, but it's not me and that's it. If you enjoy that sort of thing then good on you! Where I lived before I could go out for a walk in the fresh air and see lush green hills all around me, see family when we could. I could go on and on. But another big reason is for our kids we want them to love Scotland too and learn about the country they were born in. Also having a connection with family members other than us, that we had as children. Losing family loved ones kind of makes all other thing less important.

Sassy Duck, do you live in Perth? What I want out of life I can't get here, family, good trustworthy friends,

the feeling of belonging and the love of the environment around me. Perth IMO is boring as once you've done the usual tourists spots & had your fill of bars/restaurants. Along with the never ending suburbia and shopping centres, we were done. The beaches are beautiful and there are all sorts of outdoor pursuits you can do, but it's not me and that's it. If you enjoy that sort of thing then good on you! Where I lived before I could go out for a walk in the fresh air and see lush green hills all around me, see family when we could. I could go on and on. But another big reason is for our kids we want them to love Scotland too and learn about the country they were born in. Also having a connection with family members other than us, that we had as children. Losing family loved ones kind of makes all other thing less important.

Why so defensive? I'm not knocking you, I wouldn't stay in a place that made me unhappy either, so don't know why you feel the need to reiterate your reasons. I get it...you don't like Perth...lots of people don't. You made the move and it's made you realise that what you had at home was what you wanted all along. I was simply mentioning the Perth bashing in response to previous posts about it always turning into uk vs oz.

Why so defensive? I'm not knocking you, I wouldn't stay in a place that made me unhappy either, so don't know why you feel the need to reiterate your reasons. I get it...you don't like Perth...lots of people don't. You made the move and it's made you realise that what you had at home was what you wanted all along. I was simply mentioning the Perth bashing in response to previous posts about it always turning into uk vs oz.

I'm not being defensive just expressing an opinion. Not going to post again on this thread, it's getting a bit

off point. The main reason I'd rather observe posts on MBTTUK than participate.

I'm not being defensive just expressing an opinion. Not going to post again on this thread, it's getting a bit

off point. The main reason I'd rather observe posts on MBTTUK than participate.

Please don’t leave @Lass81. So many people, myself included, are tired of watching threads disintegrate into playground squabbles and I think that was the reason for @JockinTas post too. But you are posting in MBTTUK and have the right to post about how you feel. if some find it an uncomfortable read that is not reason in itself to challenge or make you feel uncomfortable imo, your feelings won't change because someone else doesn't share them.

Up to a third of those currently emigrating will return to the UK. That is a significant statistic, so it is helpful to anyone moving in the other direction to have some idea of what you and others like you are having to manage. And MBTTUK is the one section of the forum where posters could perhaps be cut a bit of slack, with a degree of recognition that feelings are not always logical, factual or evidence based, but are just as real, sometimes painful and often isolating. Facing a second major move across the world with all the stress and expense of the first move, but probably with a degree of fear and less sense of adventure, is a brave thing to do imo. Good luck and please stick around to let us know how it goes. T x

Please don’t leave @Lass81.

Facing a second major move across the world with all the stress and expense of the first move, but probably with a degree of fear and less sense of adventure, is a brave thing to do imo. Good luck and please stick around to let us know how it goes. T x

Absolutely don't leave.

Conflicting opinions are VERY welcome and make it interesting.

I am sure anyone who is in two minds about the move will love to hear about the good the bad AND the ugly.