Teachers Moving or Living in Australia

TeacherBen

Hi Linda, i am doing my IELTS this saturday but to emmigrate do i still need the positive skills assessment from aitsl?

You need confirmation from AITSL to get your Visa. You then need to register with the star you want to teach in. Similar process to your AITSL application.

You cannot teach in a WA school without teaching registration.

You cannot get registration unless you have four years of tertiary education, one year of which must be teacher training, university based.

The GTP is not recognised, so no, you cannot teach in a WA remote community school.

No school will even look at your application without the ability to obtain registration.

I know I can't get full registration with only the GTP, but I was asking about limited registration, if anyone has experience of this I would be interested to hear!

Ta

Thank you, i did send them that info but because my PGCE was done with a SCITT in affliation with Uni and AITSL wont accept their transcript, so am waiting to hear from the Uni. Just frustrating!

I had the same issue, having done SCITT myself. It did take ages to get a response from the uni. My uni was unable to provide a transcript so i contacted AITSL and they said I would need to provide a letter from the uni explaining why this was and confirming the details on my SCITT transcript, which thankfully they did provide, months later!

This is the info I got back from AITSL, might be of use to you if you end up in the same position:

"If your university is unable to issue you with a formal transcript, you will need to request that they issue a formal statement regarding the qualification you completed. This statement should contain the following:

• The reason why the university is unable to provide official transcripts

• The program of study

• Your entry and exit dates from the program

• Whether the study was full-time or part-time

• Brief description of the content of the program

• Credit accumulated (if applicable), and

• Duration of school experience component and age group taught during this component (for initial teacher education qualifications).

This statement must be on the official stationery of the university and signed and dated by the appropriate authority (office of the registrar or the department responsible for student records)."

The AISTL accepted this but only as the original letter, the certified copy was not enough. Good luck, they are not fans of the SCITT but they do accept it if you provide enough evidence.

Vanduex, when you registered with SMART teachers did you re-write your CV Australian 'style' or did you upload your normal one??

Cheers!!

Hi, My wife is a secondary school Maths teacher in England and yesterday we just applied for our skilled visa 189 (just under 4k), we were wondering what is a CV Oz style.

Thanks

Hi,

Just applied for our skilled independent visa 189 yesterday but are undecided on Perth or Melbourne. My wife is a Secondary school Maths teacher and we were wondering if any teachers out there have any advice as to whether or not Perth or Melbourne is better in terms of demand for teachers.

Thanks

Hi,

Just applied for our skilled independent visa 189 yesterday but are undecided on Perth or Melbourne. My wife is a Secondary school Maths teacher and we were wondering if any teachers out there have any advice as to whether or not Perth or Melbourne is better in terms of demand for teachers.

Thanks

I would recommend Perth, as Year 7's will be moved (for the first time) to high school from 2015.

As such there will be a high demand for high school teachers, especially in a demand area such as maths.

She will find work in either city - maths is always needed.

I know I can't get full registration with only the GTP, but I was asking about limited registration, if anyone has experience of this I would be interested to hear!

Ta

I have only looked at this for the VIT but with them all overseas teachers receive provisional registration initially. After a period of time in school in Australia this can be increased to full registration if your school provides evidence of your ability to meet the standards. The same qualification criteria apply for full and provisional registration. As they don't recognise QTS as a qualification your will need to obtain a PGCE or equivalent to be able to teach anywhere in Australia.

They are very strict on the 4 years of higher education criteria, when it was introduced existing teachers had to complete an additional years study to top up their qualifications.

I had the same issue, having done SCITT myself. It did take ages to get a response from the uni. My uni was unable to provide a transcript so i contacted AITSL and they said I would need to provide a letter from the uni explaining why this was and confirming the details on my SCITT transcript, which thankfully they did provide, months later!

This is the info I got back from AITSL, might be of use to you if you end up in the same position:

"If your university is unable to issue you with a formal transcript, you will need to request that they issue a formal statement regarding the qualification you completed. This statement should contain the following:

• The reason why the university is unable to provide official transcripts

• The program of study

• Your entry and exit dates from the program

• Whether the study was full-time or part-time

• Brief description of the content of the program

• Credit accumulated (if applicable), and

• Duration of school experience component and age group taught during this component (for initial teacher education qualifications).

This statement must be on the official stationery of the university and signed and dated by the appropriate authority (office of the registrar or the department responsible for student records)."

The AISTL accepted this but only as the original letter, the certified copy was not enough. Good luck, they are not fans of the SCITT but they do accept it if you provide enough evidence.

Thank you Rachel, this is really helpful, I will ask the Uni for this type of letter as well just in case as I am still witing to hear from them. In the meantime i will email AITSL.

I would recommend Perth, as Year 7's will be moved (for the first time) to high school from 2015.

As such there will be a high demand for high school teachers, especially in a demand area such as maths.

She will find work in either city - maths is always needed.

Thanks for that reply Sammy, Whereabouts are you based and are you a Teacher?

I've heard from somebody who is based in Yanchep that it could take several months to find work and will probably have to start with casual relief work (supply).

We are just worried that neither of us will find work for over 6 months, especially my wife as she is the main applicant and all our money/savings will be dwindling away.

In the first few weeks we are going to go round schools dropping of her CV and register with agencies, do you recommend any agencies?

She will also have to register to teach in WA when we get there, we can do that from Uk by sending her passport off etc but have been told this is a bit of a risk.

Thanks

Keith

Hi Keith,

I agree with the fact that WA is good place to be as a high school teacher, especially in maths or science, considering the year 7 transition will be compulsory next year.

I personally found more relief work by dropping off (or posting) CV packs to each school rather than going through an agency. Agencies are nowhere as big in Aus (at least in Perth) as they are in the UK.

-Elizabeth

Hey everyone...

I have posted before, but just to remind you...

I'm an American and I got my entire secondary education degree at Curtin Uni in WA. I then worked as a teacher in Perth until I moved to the UK, where I teach secondary science.

I am very homesick for Perth (I lived there for seven years) and I'm looking to go for PR via the 189.

So to my question... I have seen many people getting their qualifications recognised through AITSL. However I have been reading on the IMMI website and I found this with informations about the points test:

"To receive 15 points for having at least a Bachelor degree, you must have met the requirements for an award of Bachelor degree by an Australian educational institution or your qualification must be considered as at least comparable to a Bachelor level at Australian standards."

Does anyone know if I actually have to get my degree recognised by AITSL if I got my entire degree in Australia?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by elizabethkolo
spelling :-/

For any QLD people

Registration is always provisional until you have completed a minimum of 200 days in a Queensland school. You then have do collate an evidence folder of how your teaching meets the professional standards. Then the school signs off on your full registration. I guess it is similar to a NQT year if you had to do one of those. I didn't do an NQT year so it was new to me. Easy to do, just a paperwork faff.

This might be hard to do if you are a casual relief teacher but there is some advice on the QCT website on how to accumulate your evidence.

2015 QLD jobs are starting to come out for QLD with maths and science availability topping the bill from what I can see.

Millie

Elizabeth,

Did you get much response from the various schools and have you had much relief work?

Also are you planning on becoming full time at a school?

Did you get the list of schools from a web page or did you find out that information when you arrived.

We really don't know what area we plan to find a holiday rental as not sure which school she will be teaching at etc.

Keith

Keith,

It took me a few weeks to get relief work as (generally) the demand for relief teachers is quite low for the first few months after school starts. I ended up getting a 12 week ongoing position to cover a teacher who needed surgery, but during my 12 week post I had to knock back quite a few requests for day-to-day cover.

As a starting point, I got on google maps and made a list of all the secondary schools within around 40 minutes drive. Then I went to the website of each one and got the address and principal's name. I customised every single cover letter and addressed each one to the respective principal with the school's address on the cover letter. It is time consuming and seems menial but it does make it look like you care, especially if you are posting each one as opposed to dropping them off in person.

I also posted mine in A4 envelopes, as it makes it look far more significant. A folded cover letter and CV is never nice.

Do you know if you are interested in working north or south of the river? (The Swan River is basically the divide between the sides of the city- a friendly rivalry!)

I am also currently teaching in the UK. I'm actually an American citizen. Moved to Aus at 18, got my whole degree, taught for a bit, then decided to come to the UK at 25. I've been here since September teaching, but I'm desperate to get back to Perth.

I hope to find a full-time position when I get back, but honestly I will settle for relief work or even a retail position temporarily. I have the blessing of being young and single and having a support network in Perth when I get back.

Hello,

With regards to the police check requirement for the 189 visa is my school criminal record check ok to submit? Or do I have to apply for one through the link on the 'immi' website. My school DBS check is less than 12 months old.

Rachel

it won't count. Has to be a PCC check. Different to DBS. Costs 80 for a speedy 2 day service. 45 for 10 days. Application form is pretty straight forward.

Worth adding that the day it is completed is the date that your one year entry point starts from. I waited for CO to request mine. Biggest window.

Hi

We got told by a Teacher from England who is currently in Perth with his family that WA are renowned for not putting teachers from the UK on their deserved payscale per years they have been teaching as they don't recognise the qualifications, therefore getting put on much lower pay. Has anybody else heard of this?

Thanks

Edited by Keefo

Hi,

I posted on here recently about applying to be a recognised primary teacher in Perth. I have a 3 year BEd degree in primary teaching and understand this isn't recognised. Although I've been teaching for 4 years across a range of year groups. What can I do to be recognised as a teacher in WA? Do I need to do a post grad diploma? A PGCE? I need help as I contacted relevant people with only automated responses. Please please can anyone help me?

Kayleigh

Hi,

I posted on here recently about applying to be a recognised primary teacher in Perth. I have a 3 year BEd degree in primary teaching and understand this isn't recognised. Although I've been teaching for 4 years across a range of year groups. What can I do to be recognised as a teacher in WA? Do I need to do a post grad diploma? A PGCE? I need help as I contacted relevant people with only automated responses. Please please can anyone help me?

Kayleigh

i think you need the pgce. To the best of my knowledge it is the only way you will get recognised as a teacher.