Teachers Moving or Living in Australia

TeacherBen

That's rubbish...hopefully it'll be speedy once you're there so you can start applying! I was heading to Sydney in Jan, hopefully with a job - although that's not looking as likely now!! So I may do some travelling whilst there, get the teacher accreditation sorted and then do supply until I can apply! Newcastle is good - got a mate from Uni who lives there! He loves it

Just had contact from AITSL where they have said that what i sent wasn't a transcript for my degree but this is all the uni gave me. I have contacted the uni again but am confused, i thought the transcript was the units you did & the grades you got per unit. Can anyone give me advice on what to specifically ask the uni for? I need to resend everything and of course this will add more waiting on.

Quick update from us, my girlfriend is one week short of completing her first term as an aussie teacher, she has enjoyed it. Quick summary, kids are better behaved, shes finding it a change (challange) how interested the parents are, shes always getting email from them asking what can be done for them to get better marks, questioning detensions etc... her collegues back in the UK are bricking it because the Science deparment is having some sort of OFSTEAD review so she is happy she hasnt got to worry with that rubbish anymore. Shes is gradually adjusting to being a Maths teacher (she was science only but they dont have many Science only jobs here).. Its back to England next week, a joy of being a teacher is always the holidays so we plan for her to go back once a year. Salary wise she went from aprox £24,000 to approx $70,000 which seems pretty good.

Quick update from us, my girlfriend is one week short of completing her first term as an aussie teacher, she has enjoyed it. Quick summary, kids are better behaved, shes finding it a change (challange) how interested the parents are, shes always getting email from them asking what can be done for them to get better marks, questioning detensions etc... her collegues back in the UK are bricking it because the Science deparment is having some sort of OFSTEAD review so she is happy she hasnt got to worry with that rubbish anymore. Shes is gradually adjusting to being a Maths teacher (she was science only but they dont have many Science only jobs here).. Its back to England next week, a joy of being a teacher is always the holidays so we plan for her to go back once a year. Salary wise she went from aprox £24,000 to approx $70,000 which seems pretty good.

That's a nice post to read mate. Thanks :)

Just got my QCT number through and I am now registered to teach in QLD. That's happy days. Same documentation as AITSL with couple of references.

Paid fee on Jan 26th, received confirmation on March 28th.

That's great news mate!! How long has it taken?? I'm struggling with the NSW application to be honest - I need a working with children number but need to be face to face to do it! Also require a 40 minute interview to be assessed...all in all it adds up to a massive pain in the arse!! As far as I can tell these teacher registrations are transferable between states so if I got a QCT one I could transfer??

That's great news mate!! How long has it taken?? I'm struggling with the NSW application to be honest - I need a working with children number but need to be face to face to do it! Also require a 40 minute interview to be assessed...all in all it adds up to a massive pain in the arse!! As far as I can tell these teacher registrations are transferable between states so if I got a QCT one I could transfer??

Teacher registration is not transferable between states.

You can theoretically teach anywhere (if you meet the individual TRB criteria), but you must make an idividual application to the teacher registration board in the state in which you wish to live and teach.

Does it not make it easier though? If you're registered in one state, then the application process is easier for all other states? The issue is being their in person - I won't be there until sept at the earliest so could do with being registered before I go!!

Being there in person is required for the WWC in WA also (it is normal), as a post office employee must take a photograph and review the application. Each state has its own form of working with children check, each state has its own TRB and registration processes that must be followed.

Just because you are registered in one state does not mean you are eligible in another.

Each state is different and each teaching registration board is different, NSW being the most stringent of all in regards to the units required to be studied in an education degree.

Edited by Sammy1

I am registered with QCT and it states I can teaching QLD. I think this is a provisional registration which can be converted when I get a school. But I am on the teacher membership list. QCT definitely have a mutual recognition route you can take but I think this is an agreement with SA and VIC. I am not sure WA or NSW are a part of it. However as a leader if I saw an applicant with membership to any state then it would be better than no registration at all. That's my personal view.

It took 8 weeks in total. 8 ago was weeks was electronic application and then 1 week after that, all my paperwork arrived with them.

Cheers Sammy1 and Vanduex! Reckon I need to rethink plans a tad...bummer!

The process to become registered takes a while, it is frustrating for both homegrown Aussie teachers and for overseas teachers.

Stick with it and before you know it, you will be there :)

Just had contact from AITSL where they have said that what i sent wasn't a transcript for my degree but this is all the uni gave me. I have contacted the uni again but am confused, i thought the transcript was the units you did & the grades you got per unit. Can anyone give me advice on what to specifically ask the uni for? I need to resend everything and of course this will add more waiting on.

Your transcript needs to include details and marks for your units, and details of your school placements. You need to have the schools name, type eg secondary, and number of days you spent on placement there.

The AISTL are quite good at responding to questions so it is worth contacting them to get confirmation of what they need it to include. Then you can just forward that information to the uni directly.

Some job info for anyone searching:

English and Humanities – April Start

Our client is a long standing private school located within a one hour flight North of Brisbane. Based on the Queensland coastline in a mid sized city, the school offers a generous remuneration package including accommodation subsidy.

PM for rest of the details :)

Hi all,

Great thread..although I am in a totally different situation to most of you - I completed the dreaded GTP in the UK which is not recognised as a teaching qualification over here. Has anyone got experience of working on/getting limited registration - I am in remote WA and positions in community schools do arise, and I am thinking I should go for it and see what happens!

Cheers!

Hi all,

Great thread..although I am in a totally different situation to most of you - I completed the dreaded GTP in the UK which is not recognised as a teaching qualification over here. Has anyone got experience of working on/getting limited registration - I am in remote WA and positions in community schools do arise, and I am thinking I should go for it and see what happens!

Cheers!

You cannot teach in a WA school without teaching registration.

You cannot get registration unless you have four years of tertiary education, one year of which must be teacher training, university based.

The GTP is not recognised, so no, you cannot teach in a WA remote community school.

No school will even look at your application without the ability to obtain registration.

Edited by Sammy1

You cannot teach in a WA school without teaching registration.

You cannot get registration unless you have four years of tertiary education, one year of which must be teacher training, university based.

The GTP is not recognised, so no, you cannot teach in a WA remote community school.

No school will even look at your application without the ability to obtain registration.

I did read somewhere and also had a conversation with a colleague looking to emmigrate that the GTP was being looked at if supported with 4 years of teaching experience? However I am quick to add I have no definitive evidence of this. Could all be a load of codswhallop.

I was really interested to see if I could spell Codswhallop. It is definately a word I will use in a classroom in the very near future!!!

I did read somewhere and also had a conversation with a colleague looking to emmigrate that the GTP was being looked at if supported with 4 years of teaching experience? However I am quick to add I have no definitive evidence of this. Could all be a load of codswhallop.

I was really interested to see if I could spell Codswhallop. It is definately a word I will use in a classroom in the very near future!!!

I am in WA, at this current time and for the foreseeable future, the GTP is not accepted.

Your transcript needs to include details and marks for your units, and details of your school placements. You need to have the schools name, type eg secondary, and number of days you spent on placement there.

The AISTL are quite good at responding to questions so it is worth contacting them to get confirmation of what they need it to include. Then you can just forward that information to the uni directly.

Thank you, i did send them that info but because my PGCE was done with a SCITT in affliation with Uni and AITSL wont accept their transcript, so am waiting to hear from the Uni. Just frustrating!

Guest Linda21

I'm in same position and was advised that I just had to submit my IELTS score at the point of applying for my visa to prove I had sufficient points. My skills assessment with AITSL did not require it. I was advised to just make sure to have the 20 points before I put in my EOI.

I'm in same position and was advised that I just had to submit my IELTS score at the point of applying for my visa to prove I had sufficient points. My skills assessment with AITSL did not require it. I was advised to just make sure to have the 20 points before I put in my EOI.

Hi Linda, i am doing my IELTS this saturday but to emmigrate do i still need the positive skills assessment from aitsl?