Teachers Moving or Living in Australia

TeacherBen

So glad I've stumbled across this useful forum

We are just waiting for our 489 state nominated visa for SA to come through, but my concern is as this is a temp visa will schools be reluctant to hire?

I understand we need to register to teach in Oz but does a positive AITSL skills assessment mean you are considered qualified to teach ?

On 30/09/2017 at 16:13, Anna9879 said:

I have a PGCEI, from the University of Sunderland, which was basically the same as a regular a PGCE course but the  12 week teaching practice was not done in UK, hence was not given QTS.

I'm considering migrating to Australia and was wondering whether, PGCEI is recognised by AITSL? even though it doesn't have QTS status, its contend is the same and has more than 45 days of supervised teaching.

QTS doesnt seem to be an issue as my PGCEI was same one from Sunderland and has been accepted by AITSL. Bu my worry now is whether it will be ok for teacher registration in SA

• Like 1

No not at all. 489 shouldn’t be an issue. 

I was hired in the first job I applied for on a 489. Australia is in general quite transient and people are often on the move so they are used to temporary visas.  However, if there are 150 applicants as it can be for some popular roles, then it could be a factor.  Many get hired here permanently from temporary contract as well so don’t shy away from the role just because it’s a semester contract.  I left my first Aussie school (permanent position)  to take a semester contract with a top school and then stayed there two years. This high profile role was a good launch into the metropolitan school network.  People automatically make assumptions and this seems to happen a lot here.  The next job I applied for, they only asked me two questions at interview then offered on the spot. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi fellow teachers. Im a qualified Chemistry teacher and have only worked for 2yrs on contract basis. Is it possible for me to get a job as a teacher in Australia or they need people who have more experience. Im even afraid to go for a skills assessment as i think i dont have enough experience. Please advise

• 4 weeks later...
On 06/02/2019 at 06:16, Hephzibah said:

Hi fellow teachers. Im a qualified Chemistry teacher and have only worked for 2yrs on contract basis. Is it possible for me to get a job as a teacher in Australia or they need people who have more experience. Im even afraid to go for a skills assessment as i think i dont have enough experience. Please advise

You need to make sure you have 4 year degree level study, 90 days teacher training experience and credible transcripts and certificates. Your school experience is fine, although gaining enough points for a visa with two years may be a struggle.

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

I work for Tradewind Australia, we currently have an office in Melbourne that can help with supply teaching (known as casual relief teaching here) as well as contract work.  We cover all of metropolitan Melbourne – the public transport isn’t as extensive here as in the UK and a lot of our traveller teachers opt to get themselves a car for the time they’re here to increase their options for work.  We assist a lot of teachers from the UK, New Zealand and Canada, as well as our returning Aussies.

Each state has its own governing body for teaching.  In Victoria, this is the Victorian Institute of Teaching and you can apply to register with them before you get here. They will verify your qualifications and follow up on your police checks (I would advise doing this as soon as you make firm plans to come here as their turnaround time isn’t always speedy!). Their website is (www.vit.vic.edu.au ).  If you teach in Victoria, then decide to move to New South Wales (Sydney), you would still need to register with the NSW governing body.

Our academic year runs January to December, with four terms.  Our summer holidays are over Christmas and through January.  The time that there is a prevalence of casual relief teaching is around the winter months (May-October).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi all

I'm wondering if any of you teachers currently working in Australia can help.  I've just completed my skills assessment with AITSL but am now worried as I came across some additional information about qualifications.  I have a 3 year BSc (Hons) Degree in Sports Development and then moved into teaching via studying for 1 year at Kingston University to gain my Graduate Teacher Training Programme.  This gave me QTS but as I didn't sit exams I don't have a transcript, only an assessment form that states I completed a minimum of 60 days teaching practice.  I have been teaching for almost 10 years in the UK in both state and private schools.

So my question is, if I do not pass the skills assessment what are my options for gaining teaching jobs in Australia? - I teach PE and have lots of other coaching qualifications, so would there be a route in that way?

Any ideas welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Callum

Hey Callum,

I'm afraid your GTP year means diddly squat here is Australia. You also need to have a teaching degree to teach in a school but I'm sure with your sports degree you can coach  but not sure how you would go about that. Maybe get in touch with sport related recruitment agencies. When I came here 6 six years ago with my 3 year early years education degree and a GTP (I had worked in primary school for 3 years), I was only allowed to be an early childhood teacher in a preschool or long day care setting. I needed to get a masters as a four year degree in education was required. However, there has been some changes since then and as long as you are approved as a 'proficient teacher' through NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA) then you can apply for a teaching position in a school. That is in NSW obviously. Where are you planning on moving to?  I know this can all be so frustrating, especially when you have been teaching for so long. Hope this helps although I understand it doesn't seem good news.

Good luck!

On 30/05/2019 at 16:46, Callum McKay said:

Hi all

I'm wondering if any of you teachers currently working in Australia can help.  I've just completed my skills assessment with AITSL but am now worried as I came across some additional information about qualifications.  I have a 3 year BSc (Hons) Degree in Sports Development and then moved into teaching via studying for 1 year at Kingston University to gain my Graduate Teacher Training Programme.  This gave me QTS but as I didn't sit exams I don't have a transcript, only an assessment form that states I completed a minimum of 60 days teaching practice.  I have been teaching for almost 10 years in the UK in both state and private schools.

So my question is, if I do not pass the skills assessment what are my options for gaining teaching jobs in Australia? - I teach PE and have lots of other coaching qualifications, so would there be a route in that way?

Any ideas welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Callum

Can you get a visa if you're not going to be eligible to be a teacher? 

TBH I wouldn't even think about teaching. PE teachers are a dime a dozen and they like you to have a second string to your bow, like Maths - in places where people want to live anyway. But if you've got the background in one of the major disciplines (generally rugby :-)) you might pick up something in one of the private schools who are heavily into interschool competition.

PE jobs are incredibly difficult to come by. There are very few permanent jobs and there's a queue of casuals waiting to take the jobs.

You could come over work as a casual and hope something opens up. I worked as a casual (history) teacher and ended up getting a permanent job. Lucky that there was an opening.

• 1 month later...

Hi all - AITSL question!

I have a 3 year degree (Primary Education 5-11 BA Hons..With Initial Teacher Training).

I then did my NQT year (in a special needs school) and achieved QTS.

I want to apply for a 189 Skilled visa... but according to the AITSL website, in order to get a skills assessment I need a 4 year degree.

Any advice other than do a 1 year post graduate/masters degree?

Are there any other teaching related visas (other than 189) that I can apply for, which would accept 3 year degree?

Finally.. if I did a masters in Special Education, could I apply for a 189 as a "Special Education Teacher"... or must the masters be linked to Primary education?

Just checking I haven't missed something before I spend thousands of pounds going back to University..

Many thanks in advance to anyone who can offer some clarity on the above... 

Australian graduates also need four years of university education to gain teacher registration. You will need to do one more year of study. However, if you wish to qualify as a special ed teacher then you will need to make sure the course involves actual teaching (practicum days) in a school.

On 01/07/2019 at 11:11, Rodderick89 said:

Hi all - AITSL question!

I have a 3 year degree (Primary Education 5-11 BA Hons..With Initial Teacher Training).

I then did my NQT year (in a special needs school) and achieved QTS.

I want to apply for a 189 Skilled visa... but according to the AITSL website, in order to get a skills assessment I need a 4 year degree.

Any advice other than do a 1 year post graduate/masters degree?

Are there any other teaching related visas (other than 189) that I can apply for, which would accept 3 year degree?

Finally.. if I did a masters in Special Education, could I apply for a 189 as a "Special Education Teacher"... or must the masters be linked to Primary education?

Just checking I haven't missed something before I spend thousands of pounds going back to University..

Many thanks in advance to anyone who can offer some clarity on the above... 

You definitely need four years of higher education relating to teaching and if you want to apply for the SEN teacher route then you will need to prove that you have experience in this field - work experience not just placements. You also need proof that you have undertook a minimum of 45 days work experience on your education course(s).

I only know this because I am currently going through the early childhood route and had your predicament of three years BA Primary Ed with QTS and have then gone and done an early years PGCE (I chose this rather than a masters degree because I have been working mostly in early years since gaining QTS so thought the EYTS would be useful for my career in the UK too anyway). But when applying for skills assessment and the EOI (through an agent) I have had to provide proof that I have work experience in the early years sector as well as my placement days. I also then needed to provide this evidence when applying for the SA Teachers Registration Board Qualification Assessment. 

I hope this is helpful. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone.. i'm very happy while i found this website in the middle of my confusing mind. I heard from many people that Australia isn't a very "humble" country for job seeking especially for foreign people didn't graduate from one of the Australia's university.  I heard Oz has very strictly of requirement for job seeker.

Please  help me ...someone or anybody who know some informations about my questions.

1. Is there any job career for 45+ years old woman. Economic Faculty  with major subject Accounting. I had experience just 1 year for this subject. And for the 15 years until now,  i have been working in my own shop. I have 2 shoes shop in Indonesia. But i have a plan for moving to Sydney or Melbourne.  And i try to find some information for any job career i can apply and it's better if the job can be related with accounting or may be a teacher. 

2. Related to career that i want to apply...Do i have to go to university for learning some subject again (for accounting or teacher career)....i mean as a student again...i just considering my age (45+) ...is there any university want to accept 45 years old of student like me..??

3.  Is there any job career that i can apply (considering my age) .? How about the requirement of that job?

4. If i want to work as accountant...what steps from now i must go through? What i must to do first until the end??

Thank you in advance for anybody who want to replied my questions. You will help me a lot. 

49 minutes ago, Frency said:

1. Is there any job career for 45+ years old woman. Economic Faculty  with major subject Accounting.

I am sorry, but no. There is no way for you to move to Australia.   To be considered for any skilled visa, you must be under 45, so you are already too old. 

• Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 04/07/2019 at 05:25, JRC said:

You definitely need four years of higher education relating to teaching and if you want to apply for the SEN teacher route then you will need to prove that you have experience in this field - work experience not just placements. You also need proof that you have undertook a minimum of 45 days work experience on your education course(s).

I only know this because I am currently going through the early childhood route and had your predicament of three years BA Primary Ed with QTS and have then gone and done an early years PGCE (I chose this rather than a masters degree because I have been working mostly in early years since gaining QTS so thought the EYTS would be useful for my career in the UK too anyway). But when applying for skills assessment and the EOI (through an agent) I have had to provide proof that I have work experience in the early years sector as well as my placement days. I also then needed to provide this evidence when applying for the SA Teachers Registration Board Qualification Assessment. 

I hope this is helpful. 

On 31/07/2019 at 12:08, Frency said:

Hi everyone.. i'm very happy while i found this website in the middle of my confusing mind. I heard from many people that Australia isn't a very "humble" country for job seeking especially for foreign people didn't graduate from one of the Australia's university.  I heard Oz has very strictly of requirement for job seeker.

Please  help me ...someone or anybody who know some informations about my questions.

1. Is there any job career for 45+ years old woman. Economic Faculty  with major subject Accounting. I had experience just 1 year for this subject. And for the 15 years until now,  i have been working in my own shop. I have 2 shoes shop in Indonesia. But i have a plan for moving to Sydney or Melbourne.  And i try to find some information for any job career i can apply and it's better if the job can be related with accounting or may be a teacher. 

2. Related to career that i want to apply...Do i have to go to university for learning some subject again (for accounting or teacher career)....i mean as a student again...i just considering my age (45+) ...is there any university want to accept 45 years old of student like me..??

3.  Is there any job career that i can apply (considering my age) .? How about the requirement of that job?

4. If i want to work as accountant...what steps from now i must go through? What i must to do first until the end??

Thank you in advance for anybody who want to replied my questions. You will help me a lot. 

Hi,

there are some occupations that grant permanent residency even, for people under 50. You need to go to a remote area though and just certain professions. Just google and have a read. Good luck. 

2A18E102-73D7-4A9A-B962-F206CCD15B40.png

Hi all,

I came across this thread after joining today, I hope you do not mind me posting...

I am en experienced Primary school teacher with a BA Hons QTs (2002), PGdip (2010) and masters (2019), all PG quals in education. I have been advised from my agent that I need the equivalent of 18mo full time teaching to qualify for a permanent visa. I can't qualify for those hours as have been working supply and freelance at a local university on a national education reform research programme. I have also worked for my local authority as an advisory teacher so hoped my prospects would be good! Can any teachers offer some advice please? 

@JRC you seem pretty knowledgable! I am hoping you may be able to help? 🙏

20 hours ago, Gemitch16 said:

Hi all,

I came across this thread after joining today, I hope you do not mind me posting...

I am en experienced Primary school teacher with a BA Hons QTs (2002), PGdip (2010) and masters (2019), all PG quals in education. I have been advised from my agent that I need the equivalent of 18mo full time teaching to qualify for a permanent visa. I can't qualify for those hours as have been working supply and freelance at a local university on a national education reform research programme. I have also worked for my local authority as an advisory teacher so hoped my prospects would be good! Can any teachers offer some advice please? 

@JRC you seem pretty knowledgable! I am hoping you may be able to help? 🙏

I have had to opt for a temporary 489 visa because it seemed like slim pickings for teachers with lots of hoops to jump through Which included working full time in teaching (I had to return full time after maternity leave because of this reason 😭)

I have used a migration agent and she just suggested getting letters from each employer confirming the job role undertaken and hours worked - even when I was working as a supply teacher nine years ago. It seems like gaining a skilled visa as a teacher is not straight forward unfortunately. 

Edited by JRC

13 hours ago, Gemitch16 said:

@JRC

Thanks so much for your reply! Are you still on a temp visa? If not, what did you need to do for permanent? I’ll take a look into the 489 but I have a feeling they are changing this visa to the 419 in Nov 19. It’s so complicated! 

Yes the 489 is becoming obsolete very soon. We are still waiting on our visa - it was submitted earlier this month. I didn’t have enough points for the 189 and the 190 wasn’t available for my skilled occupation sponsorship for SA unfortunately so it was the 489 or nothing. It is all very complicated which is why I chose to use a migration agent and also with working full time as well as having a family I didn’t have the time or energy to do it independently. To begin with my husband and I thought it was an expensive option but now we feel like it’s been worth every penny. 

• 2 weeks later...