register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

TeacherBen

Teachers Moving or Living in Australia

So glad I've stumbled across this useful forum

We are just waiting for our 489 state nominated visa for SA to come through, but my concern is as this is a temp visa will schools be reluctant to hire?

I understand we need to register to teach in Oz but does a positive AITSL skills assessment mean you are considered qualified to teach ?

On 30/09/2017 at 16:13, Anna9879 said:

I have a PGCEI, from the University of Sunderland, which was basically the same as a regular a PGCE course but the  12 week teaching practice was not done in UK, hence was not given QTS.

I'm considering migrating to Australia and was wondering whether, PGCEI is recognised by AITSL? even though it doesn't have QTS status, its contend is the same and has more than 45 days of supervised teaching.

QTS doesnt seem to be an issue as my PGCEI was same one from Sunderland and has been accepted by AITSL. Bu my worry now is whether it will be ok for teacher registration in SA

Are there any IB teachers who have successfully made the move and found work in IB schools in SA?

No not at all. 489 shouldn’t be an issue. 

I was hired in the first job I applied for on a 489. Australia is in general quite transient and people are often on the move so they are used to temporary visas.  However, if there are 150 applicants as it can be for some popular roles, then it could be a factor.  Many get hired here permanently from temporary contract as well so don’t shy away from the role just because it’s a semester contract.  I left my first Aussie school (permanent position)  to take a semester contract with a top school and then stayed there two years. This high profile role was a good launch into the metropolitan school network.  People automatically make assumptions and this seems to happen a lot here.  The next job I applied for, they only asked me two questions at interview then offered on the spot. 

• Like 1

Visa: 475 regional GRANT 22/6/12, touchdown 4/11/12 . Applied 189 PR visa 13/11/14 Grant 20/1/15