Teachers Moving or Living in Australia

TeacherBen

Can anyone advise if it is possible to apply for teaching jobs from the uk if you can't register or do your WWC until you get there? We are probably heading over at a bad time (October) in relation to even getting relief work - would there be any chance of getting something so late into the last term or should I be prepared to wait until the new term in February?

Can anyone advise if it is possible to apply for teaching jobs from the uk if you can't register or do your WWC until you get there? We are probably heading over at a bad time (October) in relation to even getting relief work - would there be any chance of getting something so late into the last term or should I be prepared to wait until the new term in February?

The registration could take quite some time. You will need to submit all transcripts etc again, as well as crim trac (criminal check). The one you would have previously done to get your visa is no good for registration as the Ed Department has its own mandatory check. You will also have to send off for the overseas criminal check as well through the department.

As far as the WWC, as long as you have applied for it, you can work. However, the WWC application still has to be signed by a principal/admin of a school.

You have picked a tricky time to move as just about all jobs will have been taken for the 2017 year - jobs are advertised from July onwards. If your qualification is in a shortage area then you may have more chance. Once you have registration and a department E number you will be able to get relief work. Relief work quite often leads to short contract work to cover maternity leave etc.

I arrived on the 1st November but with my registration completed, that allowed me to start relief work as soon as a school contacted me. Luckily it didn't take long and I had a choice of schools for relief work. In which I ended up with a full time position. If you want a way to give yourself a chance of a full time position for 2017 get your registration complete in the UK.

Is there any way to complete registration before we get out? I have gone through the Non-Practising Registration and the only problem I face is that my supporting docs must be certified by Australian High Commission which isn't possible. Am I able to get a contact who is on the list and practising in Australia to do this? If not any suggestions?? Thanks

Is there any way to complete registration before we get out? I have gone through the Non-Practising Registration and the only problem I face is that my supporting docs must be certified by Australian High Commission which isn't possible. Am I able to get a contact who is on the list and practising in Australia to do this? If not any suggestions?? Thanks

I had a teacher friend who is living in Australia to certify mine. Luckily she was in the UK visiting family at the time and TRBWA were happy with all the documents I sent. X

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and have some questions regarding finding a teaching job if anyone can help.

I'm a native French speaker but I have been teaching in the UK for 10 years (French/German teacher).

Visa SI/189 was granted on 04/05/16 and I am now looking for a job in Oz.

Does anyone know how easy it is to find a French teaching job out there? I would actually go where I can find a post to start with.

Would you register to get the teacher accreditation before you apply for any job or after when you actually get a job offer?

I'd like to start in January 2017.

Any suggestions welcome!

Yes they do teach french at some schools but probably private schools these days, asian languages are the ones they like to have taught in the public school system. Of course there are not a lot of jobs for lote teachers as there are already so many people here in Australia who are bilingual. Japanese for example is very popular in some primary schools. It will be hit and miss and which State you wish to settle in. Each state has its own education departments and each state is different to others just like the American system what happens in one State is not the same as another.

That was good timing! Could I post it out to a friend who is an optometrist (on the list) to certify and send them back? I've read they won't take a scanned copy. They don't make it very easy!

I think that would be acceptable, I had a lovely day out in London!

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and have some questions regarding finding a teaching job if anyone can help.

I'm a native French speaker but I have been teaching in the UK for 10 years (French/German teacher).

Visa SI/189 was granted on 04/05/16 and I am now looking for a job in Oz.

Does anyone know how easy it is to find a French teaching job out there? I would actually go where I can find a post to start with.

Would you register to get the teacher accreditation before you apply for any job or after when you actually get a job offer?

I'd like to start in January 2017.

Any suggestions welcome!

Hi there.

OK so heres how i did it (I'm tech though not languages):

I had a look where a lot of the jobs were. I didn't really want to go to Sydney so we decided on QLD. I registered with Queensland Teacher registration as it takes 3 months.

I then registered with agencies and had interviews with them. I applied for every job I could find using Seek, Teachers on.net and applying direct to schools. Within a week I was invited to 4 interviews, 3 of them though the agencies. Two of them were remote and I got two job offers from two interviews.

Do your research and tailor your covering letter to that school.

The head of the school where I will be working contacted the teacher registration board to rush my application through. I also think with certain states you can transfer them across if you go to a different state. NSW is a complex one and you cannot actually fully register until you arrive (I may be wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me).

So I would probably settle on a state, register as a teacher and then get in touch with agencies. Meanwhile start applying for every job you see. Good luck.

Edited by MiniCooper
error

Guest HEISENBURG

Visa Granted ( 489 state sponsored ) - 18th May

Resigned UK job 23rd May ( 10 years experience teaching Physics & Chemistry )

House sold last week ( hopefully ! )

Heading for the Gold Coast in August.

Already QCT registered and in touch with agencies.

Hoping to find work from the start of term four.

I know there's plenty of you who have trodden this path before me.

Any advice, guidance, pitfalls or general stuff to watch out for much appreciated.

Hi there.

OK so heres how i did it (I'm tech though not languages):

I had a look where a lot of the jobs were. I didn't really want to go to Sydney so we decided on QLD. I registered with Queensland Teacher registration as it takes 3 months.

I then registered with agencies and had interviews with them. I applied for every job I could find using Seek, Teachers on.net and applying direct to schools. Within a week I was invited to 4 interviews, 3 of them though the agencies. Two of them were remote and I got two job offers from two interviews.

Do your research and tailor your covering letter to that school.

The head of the school where I will be working contacted the teacher registration board to rush my application through. I also think with certain states you can transfer them across if you go to a different state. NSW is a complex one and you cannot actually fully register until you arrive (I may be wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me).

So I would probably settle on a state, register as a teacher and then get in touch with agencies. Meanwhile start applying for every job you see. Good luck.

Thanks a lot! That's great!

Any advice, guidance, pitfalls or general stuff to watch out for much appreciated.

I'm not expert as I've not arrived yet however, I imagine you have already had a look online for work but if not some jobs advertised are for a term 4 start. Push your agencies. They often don't send you the jobs so check their websites daily and ask them to send you deets for jobs you like. Once you are in contact frequently they will more often than not put you in contact with schools. Good Luck.

hi there

you should be fine to find something for term 4.

We always need more Physics / Chem. I am Biol/ Physics / Maths and just signed a new contract on Gold Coast (been teaching in a top school in Brisbane and commuting) It was fairly straightforward to find something else. With the new external assessment in 2017, UK experienced teachers are in demand for core subjects. Agencies can be a bit slow so I would continually check school web sites as they all do their own advertising.

Interviews are much shorter and less formal than in the UK, with no requirement to teach a class. They often check referees during shortlisting.

I notice you have a 489 visa. Does this mean you will need to work in a regional postcode? I previously had this visa but upgraded to a 189 prior to moving to metro area.

let me know if I can be of any help

Mille

• 4 weeks later...
Guest HEISENBURG

Hi Millie,

sorry for being a misery & not replying. Not been on PIO for a couple of weeks and your reply didnt make it to my email. Yes the 489 restricts me to regional postcodes but I'm hoping to head for 4211 near the Gold Coast which looks reasonably well populated and is close to family. I don't think I have many options on moving visa as I turned 50 6 weeks after the visa was offered. I think this means I'll have to live with the restrictions for 2 years.

Thanks for the encouraging comments about science teachers getting work. I'll be hammering the agencies as soon as I get the sale of my house exchanged.

Next comes the interesting bit starting with 20 years worth of rubbish to clear out of the house !

Hope your still enjoying it.I beleive it's been a bit cold in Brissie recently !

Mike

• 2 months later...

hi there

yes they will count it. There are some organisations which do not count part time contracts but she will in most cases get full credit for the time she has worked. She should be at the top of the scale. I am not sure how the scale works in Victoria but it should be pretty good.

Good luck with the new job

Just a quick question. My wife is starting her first Australian full time teaching job in Victoria and was wondering if her 13 years teaching experience from the uk counted towards her pay scale range here?

Thanks in advance.

Top of of scale is about $95k down here.

She will need a headed letter from all schools she has taught at during those 13 years. It needs to have starting and ending dates, exactly how many days she was absent for each and duties during the time employed. Check the VIT website, it has the exact things required.

She will be paid at a graduate wage until the paperwork (and letters) are checked, about 65k at the moment, I think. This can take upto three months, but you do get back paid. In November 2009 it took mine 4 weeks. Remember if she doesn't do a full year, she won't get paid a full Christmas holiday pay, but pro rata. An issue for budgeting more than anything else.