Teachers Moving or Living in Australia

TeacherBen

Hi everyone.

I'm slowly navigating my way through the seemingly endless tiers of bureaucracy to be able to teach in NSW state schools.

The latest, and hope to be, final tier is to register with the DEC for which I need to undertake an e-course on child protection (CPAT).

Can anyone give me any advice with regards to completing this course? Are there costs? How much time needs to be spent on it? Is it 'easy'?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer

Most DET e-courses are very straightforward. If I remember the last time I did this one it was multi-choice "what would you do in this scenario" sort of thing but then they regularly change and update them so that may not still be true. Have they told you how to access the course? For me I would go onto MyPL (my professional learning) from the DET staff portal and it is free, but I guess you won't have access to that. I would look it up but this weekend the DET staff portal is down with an upgrade going on.

Are you already in NSW? If so, if you get in touch with some of the local schools they may well allow you to go in to their staff training days and there may be one that is doing the face to face child protection update (but this tends to be done on the first day of the first term). There is one coming up on the 26th April, but as it is presently the holiday you may well struggle to get in touch with anyone to say yes. We regularly have casual teachers coming to our training days. Are you yet a member of the federation? (teachers union) It is worth getting in touch with them as they may well have good advice and may even run a course themselves. All the best, you are welcome to PM me if you want to ask anything.

Hello.. It seems like you got PR based on your teaching degree. I am doing Masters of Teaching from australia and I am presently an international student. My degree finishes this November and my Visa expires on 15 March, 2017. I have exactly 3 months for applying PR after I finish my degree. But I came to know that we need a skill assessment that takes 10 weeks!!! then we can apply EOI. it it correct. I am afraid by the time i apply EOI my visa will expire. Can you please suggest what should I do

I had to have my qualifications assessed by AITSL first, yes, they were very slow and took 3 1/2 months to award me my certificate. There was a lot of toing and froing and I had to secure additional paperwork from my three universities which took time. They were especially thorough with my PGCE transcript. I then applied for an EOI having secured 75 visa points having sat an IELTS. I was then invited to make a DIBP application three days later.

Hi again,

Does anybody have an Skype interview tips for a teaching post?

Researched some potential interview questions, got a whole load of QLD curriculum info etc, but just after some personal experiences.

Many thanks

I am sure you already know but QLD curriculum has now moved over to join the Australian curriculum and they are in the process of bringing in external assessments so if you are Secondary, it might be worth consulting the QCAA website as well for information on the proposed changes.

Pedagogy is a big deal in Queensland right now, with most schools buying into the American Marzano ASOT or DOL framework.

Interviews in Qld are much less involved than the whole day affairs in the UK. It should be all done in 20-30 minutes.

They will most likely ask about:

pedagogy

Differentiation

Use of Data

Planning

Literacy

Visibly Learning

Behaviour / positive culture

Skype a pretty good deal as you can have post it notes in your field of view with all the examples you have thought about beforehand.

I am sure you already know but QLD curriculum has now moved over to join the Australian curriculum and they are in the process of bringing in external assessments so if you are Secondary, it might be worth consulting the QCAA website as well for information on the proposed changes.

Pedagogy is a big deal in Queensland right now, with most schools buying into the American Marzano ASOT or DOL framework.

Interviews in Qld are much less involved than the whole day affairs in the UK. It should be all done in 20-30 minutes.

They will most likely ask about:

pedagogy

Differentiation

Use of Data

Planning

Literacy

Visibly Learning

Behaviour / positive culture

Skype a pretty good deal as you can have post it notes in your field of view with all the examples you have thought about beforehand.

This is really informative thanks ever so much.

Maybe someone can advise...........I have a friend who is thinking of coming over later in the year or maybe next year. Currently teaches in an International school in Europe, English Speaking. Teaches Maths at Secondary level. Qualified in Ireland not sure exactly what level he has. But has done some University studying etc not sure for how long exactly Can he get employment in an International School in Sydney without jumping through all the hoops needed for State Schools ie matching up qualifications etc he would not be adverse to doing more studying I imagine but initially would just need to get work. Or is it all the same whether it is International or State. ..........Many thanks for any tips

Hi there,

We are moving to Melbourne from London at the start of next year. I have been teaching in London since 2002 in secondary schools - mainly German initially then German and Media and more recently just as Head of Media.

I am really torn on teaching in Australia, as reading these forum posts its sounding increasingly more like a pain in the arse. Plus, I don't think my subjects are exactly shortage!!

Is it really oversubscribed over there for high school teachers? Should I bother even trying to get my qualifications adapted? (BA Hons in German - 4 years and secondary PGCE)

If it's all going to be a pain the arse and you have doubts don't bother, it isn't worth it to you! There's a fair bit of paperwork involved and to be honest it doesn't sound like you are really prepared for it! Only you'll be really able to gauge when you start looking at jobs what is around and relief work is the way in. What other plans have you got?

Edited by benj1980

@george8181 Thanks for all the information. Can the process to register be started from the UK or do I need to wait until I land? I am planning to hopefully arrive with my family at the end of the year and presume that the relevant authorities will be on holiday and so had hoped to have my registration done! Do you think this is possible?

Hi Macca10. I've just been through this in NSW. To register with Bostes you need to have completed a Working with Children Check - which you have to pay 80aud for in person at an RMS office. You'll need to register with RMS too first (no great hassle, but take proof of your address and refer to the list of documents (there are 2 lists). My WWCC came through in about 10 days as an email. It has a code which you then input into yourBostes online form. Good luck.

Edited by agm

If it's all going to be a pain the arse and you have doubts don't bother, it isn't worth it to you! There's a fair bit of paperwork involved and to be honest it doesn't sound like you are really prepared for it! Only you'll be really able to gauge when you start looking at jobs what is around and relief work is the way in. What other plans have you got?

Thats my thing, there is no point in doing all the paperwork if I am not guaranteed to get a job at the end of it. I know a few teachers in Melbourne, and they have really struggled to get part time/temporary work let alone a permanent role, and they're English teachers too.

I just don't want to put myself through the process if there is such a low demand for high school teachers, especially with subjects like mine.

Thats my thing, there is no point in doing all the paperwork if I am not guaranteed to get a job at the end of it. I know a few teachers in Melbourne, and they have really struggled to get part time/temporary work let alone a permanent role, and they're English teachers too.

I just don't want to put myself through the process if there is such a low demand for high school teachers, especially with subjects like mine.

Hi backtoback,

You're right to decide at this point if it's worth it. The system in Australia is very bureaucratic and there is no fast-track or preferential treatment for skilled migrants. This system eats certificates and paper and I am only just nearing the end of the process with all of my certificates etc with BOSTES as we speak. If you're having doubts I'd stay well away. I have 13 years of experience up to departmental management level, plus was accredited as an AST (top 10% of teachers in the country) but even with this I am bracing myself for a fight on my hands to get a job and have moved out here with a view to coming back to the UK (or somewhere else) in 18 months' time if I can't get something that I am happy with. I'm going to give it a go and if Australia doesn't want me there are plenty of countries in the Middle East and Asia who will. That's how I'm viewing it.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide.

Hi backtoback,

You're right to decide at this point if it's worth it. The system in Australia is very bureaucratic and there is no fast-track or preferential treatment for skilled migrants. This system eats certificates and paper and I am only just nearing the end of the process with all of my certificates etc with BOSTES as we speak. If you're having doubts I'd stay well away. I have 13 years of experience up to departmental management level, plus was accredited as an AST (top 10% of teachers in the country) but even with this I am bracing myself for a fight on my hands to get a job and have moved out here with a view to coming back to the UK (or somewhere else) in 18 months' time if I can't get something that I am happy with. I'm going to give it a go and if Australia doesn't want me there are plenty of countries in the Middle East and Asia who will. That's how I'm viewing it.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide.

yikes it does sound tough! I wish you luck and I think I may try to look elsewhere first :/

A woman I trained on TeachFirst in the UK completed her two years and has got a fantastic job out in Hong Kong. She more than doubled her wage overnight (to £40K) and had a lot of help from the school with paperwork and visas etc. She is really living the high life and takes students on trips around Asia and Africa - and gets paid to do it. This would be well worth considering if you're free and easy with regards to where you go.

I started the whole Oz process in January last year when I sent my gear off to AITSL and I've still probably got a few weeks left to run yet with BOSTES (or longer if they start asking for additional transcripts with regards to my PGCE).

Good luck!

yikes it does sound tough! I wish you luck and I think I may try to look elsewhere first :/

A woman I trained on TeachFirst in the UK completed her two years and has got a fantastic job out in Hong Kong. She more than doubled her wage overnight (to £40K) and had a lot of help from the school with paperwork and visas etc. She is really living the high life and takes students on trips around Asia and Africa - and gets paid to do it. This would be well worth considering if you're free and easy with regards to where you go.

I started the whole Oz process in January last year when I sent my gear off to AITSL and I've still probably got a few weeks left to run yet with BOSTES (or longer if they start asking for additional transcripts with regards to my PGCE).

Good luck!

Hey guys.

My girlfriend is a secondary school English teacher with 16 years classroomteaching experience. She has a three year BA (Hons) degree in English Languageand Literature plus a one year PGCE in Secondary English with Drama.

Can anybody give us step by step instructions of how we approach the move to Ozin terms of her job? We will be going to Oz primarily on my career/occupationas a Quantity Surveyor (Contract Administrator) but she will also want topursue her career out there.

Any advice would be massively appreciated!

Guest Guest226914
Hey guys.

My girlfriend is a secondary school English teacher with 16 years classroomteaching experience. She has a three year BA (Hons) degree in English Languageand Literature plus a one year PGCE in Secondary English with Drama.

Can anybody give us step by step instructions of how we approach the move to Ozin terms of her job? We will be going to Oz primarily on my career/occupationas a Quantity Surveyor (Contract Administrator) but she will also want topursue her career out there.

Depends where you are going. In NSW there's a huge over supply of teachers and she needs to be prepared to have to do temp blocks in order to gain contacts and eventually get a permanent job. You won't be able to apply for anything from the UK as you have to be registered with BOSTES before you can apply and that requires you to be in the country. An alternative are private schools.

I received my AITSL assessment today for SEN teacher! So excited. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is the issue. For pretty much any visa I am interested in as a teacher including the 489 there is a work experience requirement. AITSL seems stuck on an outdated definition that the work experience must be post initial qualification which they define as the traditional education/teaching diploma/degree. Yet, in Australia there is a demand for Maths/Science teachers.

Well, in the United States starting a few years ago, the same shortage of Maths/Science teachers was addressed by actually hiring people who have actual degrees in those content fields so for example I have a BSc in Mathematics which in addition to some testing requirements allowed me to teach secondary Maths and I did so for three years. During those three years, I did complete a Masters Degree in Teaching and it is this degree that AITSL apparently considers to be an initial teacher qualification.

Guys, I am running into walls everywhere. This is my only hope for Oz right now. The 489 pathway for Regional Queensland requires two years of post qualification teaching experience. Well, then I do not meet it if they will not consider my three years of teaching which was after earning my BSc in Maths but prior to the completion of my teaching diploma and for many American schools this was done so that they could actually hire people who have actual content knowledge in Maths and Sciences and meet the demand.

Does anybody have any ideas? Should I first speak to the Queensland Migration people or AITSL? Is there a way around this because it is almost seems that they have not considered that the traditional idea of a teaching degree is not the only pathway to being a teacher in fields that are in shortage such as Maths/Science and how can they possibly not consider a BSc in Maths as an initial teacher qualification when in fact it is more of a qualification than somebody with a teaching degree and deficient or little math knowledge.

Help!!

Here is the issue. For pretty much any visa I am interested in as a teacher including the 489 there is a work experience requirement. AITSL seems stuck on an outdated definition that the work experience must be post initial qualification which they define as the traditional education/teaching diploma/degree. Yet, in Australia there is a demand for Maths/Science teachers.

Well, in the United States starting a few years ago, the same shortage of Maths/Science teachers was addressed by actually hiring people who have actual degrees in those content fields so for example I have a BSc in Mathematics which in addition to some testing requirements allowed me to teach secondary Maths and I did so for three years. During those three years, I did complete a Masters Degree in Teaching and it is this degree that AITSL apparently considers to be an initial teacher qualification.

Guys, I am running into walls everywhere. This is my only hope for Oz right now. The 489 pathway for Regional Queensland requires two years of post qualification teaching experience. Well, then I do not meet it if they will not consider my three years of teaching which was after earning my BSc in Maths but prior to the completion of my teaching diploma and for many American schools this was done so that they could actually hire people who have actual content knowledge in Maths and Sciences and meet the demand.

Does anybody have any ideas? Should I first speak to the Queensland Migration people or AITSL? Is there a way around this because it is almost seems that they have not considered that the traditional idea of a teaching degree is not the only pathway to being a teacher in fields that are in shortage such as Maths/Science and how can they possibly not consider a BSc in Maths as an initial teacher qualification when in fact it is more of a qualification than somebody with a teaching degree and deficient or little math knowledge.

Help!!

A BSc in maths isnt an initial teacher qualification. its an initial degree. It proves you know your maths, it doesnt prove you can teach. A teaching qualification proves you can teach.

Australian teaching requires 4 years of university with 45 days supervised teaching practise before you are qualified to teach. From there, queensland is requiring two years experience.

Whether it is different to the US requirements or not, is moot. You dont fulfill all the requirements.

To go this route, you only seem to need to teach for two years after being awarded the masters in teaching. Then you can apply. Just make sure you have proof from the uni you did the teaching diploma (diploma or masters???) of the 45 days supervised practise, otherwise you will hit the same brick wall.

Edited by dmjg

Hey guys.

She will need a transcript of results from both universities. The PGCE one will need to explicity state she has had a minimum of 45 days supervised teacher placements.

Also a letter from each school she has worked at, on headed paper, with starting dates, finishing dates, role and actual days absence (sickness, leave). This will allow the teaching board in the state you are going to assess her pay scale. She will be paid as a graduate until this is put through the system. This is much easier to do whilst in the uk, rather than 11,000 miles away!

It takes about five weeks in victoria. Thus if she teaches in victoria she will be paid $60k (pro rata) until the paperwork is all ticked off then upto her rightful position of $95k. With the back pay as well. Im not sure if this is required for private schools, you may just need to negotiate pay during interview.

Thus (if i remember rightly):

Apply to teaching board - VIT in victoria.

I would then ring (cold call with resume) schools in local area saying you have immigrated and are looking for relief teaching or short term contracts. A toe in the door could become a foot......

Apply for jobs. Take time on the application. Address all Key Selection Criteria fully, it may take two or three pages, give examples of where you meet each.

When offered job,

Put in paperwork to employer (state gov) to ensure you are paid to correct step on ladder, see above.

Join union.

Start work.

One extra point,apart from the first line, this is for victoria, no idea if, or how, other states are different.

Edited by dmjg
Sp

Guest khanji17

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post in this forum and will really appreciate all the help I can get.

We are thinking of immigrating to Australia (Sydney) by next year. The main applicant will be my husband but I am also looking to change my career and do PGCE Secondary in computer science, If I go down this route will by PGCE be good enough to get me a job in Sydney (BSc Hons and 1 year PGCE)? Also, I wont have any teaching job experience, how big a problem will this be? Will I need to undertake any further training in Aus before getting a job? On the SOL list Secondary teachers still seem to be in demand whereas by the forums I gather that there is an oversupply of Primary school teachers, is that correct?

All help is much appreciated :)

Help!!

Actually, most secondary maths teachers in Australia have a degree in maths as well as a one or two year teaching qualification. Our maths teachers are very well qualified as they have both content knowledge from their BA/BSc in maths and a teaching qualification that has allowed them to understand how to teach.....You must have an initial teaching qualification to teach here.

I personally have a degree in primary teaching, an honours degree in another single subject and another post grad to teach high school as well. So I can literally flip from primary to high school if the urge or need (due to changing demographics) takes me.

It sounds like that you did Teach for America, which resulted in a teaching qualification, so it is understandable why that is considered your post grad qualification and not work experience. Just do the two more years of teaching required - pretty simple.

Edited by Sammy1

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post in this forum and will really appreciate all the help I can get.

We are thinking of immigrating to Australia (Sydney) by next year. The main applicant will be my husband but I am also looking to change my career and do PGCE Secondary in computer science, If I go down this route will by PGCE be good enough to get me a job in Sydney (BSc Hons and 1 year PGCE)? Also, I wont have any teaching job experience, how big a problem will this be? Will I need to undertake any further training in Aus before getting a job? On the SOL list Secondary teachers still seem to be in demand whereas by the forums I gather that there is an oversupply of Primary school teachers, is that correct?

All help is much appreciated :)

Hi and welcome to the forum.

You can do the plan you suggest, however, you will of course be competing against Australian new graduates and regarded as a new grad yourself. This may make it harder to secure employment.

Yes, primary is particularly over subscribed, but you should never rely on the SOL as an indicator of actual job availability. My own occupation is still on the CSOL despite our professional body repeatedly requesting its removal and the occupation having over 40% unemployment rate.