Teachers Moving or Living in Australia

TeacherBen

Hi all,

Hope someone can help - we're just finishing up 189 Visa now with police check (have CO) and are planning to move to Sydney next year. My partner is a Design & Technology teacher.

I can see online that for NSW you need a Working with Children Check before you can take a job in a school. However, it says to get this 'You can only complete your proof of identity in person, in NSW.'

We were hoping to try and get a job lined up for him before we got to Australia - do you know if schools would be likely to offer a position, subject to getting the Working with Children Check? Or will we physically have to fly out to Sydney to get this before he can apply for any jobs?

Any advice HUGELY grateful.

Thanks,

K

Hi all,

Hope someone can help - we're just finishing up 189 Visa now with police check (have CO) and are planning to move to Sydney next year. My partner is a Design & Technology teacher.

I can see online that for NSW you need a Working with Children Check before you can take a job in a school. However, it says to get this 'You can only complete your proof of identity in person, in NSW.'

We were hoping to try and get a job lined up for him before we got to Australia - do you know if schools would be likely to offer a position, subject to getting the Working with Children Check? Or will we physically have to fly out to Sydney to get this before he can apply for any jobs?

Thanks,

K

I'm having a WWC check done in Victoria at the moment. Might not be the same in NSW but in Victoria the employer's name has to be included on the WWC check application so it's not possible to have the check done before the job offer (unless you have a WWC card from a previous employer in which case you can add the new employer to it).

Hi guys I'm so happy that things are moving for me. I passed both Ielts and Peat, as my degree is from overseas. I'm registered with Bostes. Soon I will go for an interview to register with Dec.

I went for an interview on Tuesday and looking positive for 2016It's for an exclusive private school. In the meantime tomorrow, still for the private school, I will do some small group teaching Italian for 3 hours. So pleased :)

Edited by Grabri

Hi all,

Thanks,

K

To teach in the WA you need to be registered to teach.. and if you qualified overseas this means sending lots of certified documents.

You also need a WWC which has to be signed by the employer requesting it. I actually signed up to do some volunteering at a local riding for the disabled association so that I could have one before i started applying for jobs as once issued its valid for 3 years. The biggest problem I had is they need proof of identity documents, such as a WA drivers licence, your Tax Reference Number, and a letter from an australian bank to your australian address. Was an absolute pain as had to sign up for a bank account and get my TFN, then wait for the letters, then use THOSE to go and get my WA drivers licence, wait for that, and then apply for my WWC!

This is all for teaching in WA, may be slightly different in NSW but would be good to check what you actually need to apply for the card!

To teach in the WA you need to be registered to teach.. and if you qualified overseas this means sending lots of certified documents.

You also need a WWC which has to be signed by the employer requesting it. I actually signed up to do some volunteering at a local riding for the disabled association so that I could have one before i started applying for jobs as once issued its valid for 3 years. The biggest problem I had is they need proof of identity documents, such as a WA drivers licence, your Tax Reference Number, and a letter from an australian bank to your australian address. Was an absolute pain as had to sign up for a bank account and get my TFN, then wait for the letters, then use THOSE to go and get my WA drivers licence, wait for that, and then apply for my WWC!

This is all for teaching in WA, may be slightly different in NSW but would be good to check what you actually need to apply for the card!

Thanks for this - really helpful. It's a bit of a spanner in the works as we were ideally hoping to find a job and then to head to Australia, as we don't really want to be over there without either of us working. But I'll do some more digging around the NSW WWC card - if it is the case that you need a job before getting it, then it's fine to leave until we get there I'm guessing. (Sorry if this is confusing, I'm a bit confused!!)

Ohh. Okay, so do we need BOSTES accreditation before we can apply for any teaching jobs in Australia?

Basically situation is this: we have the 189 visa, we're ready to go, we're both in full time employment in London (partner as a teacher, me in publishing). We want to apply for jobs from the UK, get a start date for my partner at a school, then emigrate. Ideally without having to fly out to Australia before hand. I then intend to find a job when I'm out there, but we really need to have one of us with a job to go to as I have no idea how we'll afford to live otherwise!

Yeah you need to have BOSTES accreditation for any teaching job, it's stated in the general criteria for most jobs. I have teaching friends in Oz who have basically told me not to bother applying until I'm there if I want to be considered seriously. Once that is done you can register for casual teaching with NSW and contact catholic schools and private schools for casual. That's how most get into teaching. You can once registered for casual apply for the longer term cover jobs advertised with the NSW government. Some jobs in regional NSW offer rental subsidies for placement.

They're new academic year starts late January so from now is as good a time as any for any teaching. I teach special needs and Computing but I have seen a few coming up on the NSW job feed I get emailed weekly so there are jobs available.

Edited by chouse

Kimbobalina could you teach Engineering Studies? If you could then this would open up many more opportunities. To see the syllabus go to the BOSTES website.

Just had a look - that would be fine. It is my partner who is looking for a job - he currently teaches Engineering; Electronics: systems and control; Design Technology: Resistant Materials; Product Design; Design Technology: graphics. He's been a full time teacher for 7 years, currently at a school in London.

Our main concern is getting a job before we move to Sydney, which seems fairly tricky with the need for BOSTES accreditation before we apply, as that requires a WWC card which you have to get in person in NSW. But if anyone found a way to apply for roles from the UK I would be very interested to hear!

THANKS!

Hi there,

I am 38 and qualified as a primary school teacher in July 2015, (I have a a BA Geography Degree, PGCE and 9 years experience working in a bank as a manager)

Since qualifying I have been doing supply work and am currently on a 7 week placement in a special school working with children aged 14-19 who have severe learning difficulties

I did live in Brisbane for over a year a few years back, but preferred WA if I m honest, but not really bothered where in OZ I initially settle... What is the score? Any advice you have would be amazing...

Hi there,

I am 38 and qualified as a primary school teacher in July 2015, (I have a a BA Geography Degree, PGCE and 9 years experience working in a bank as a manager)

Since qualifying I have been doing supply work and am currently on a 7 week placement in a special school working with children aged 14-19 who have severe learning difficulties

I did live in Brisbane for over a year a few years back, but preferred WA if I m honest, but not really bothered where in OZ I initially settle... What is the score? Any advice you have would be amazing...

I am really not sure if any state is recruiting primary teachers at the moment as we have a massive over supply. Victoria was a little while back I believe (and may still be), but it had conditions attached which included the ability to teach another language.

Your first job is to research if primary teachers are on any list.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all! I wonder if there's anyone with experience in ESL work in Australia who could advise.

Nationality: British

Quals: Degree, Trinity CertTESOL, Trinity DipTESOL

Exp: 7 years in ESL teaching, training and management.

I'm over 30 - so no chance of a working holiday visa.

I have relatives in Australia, but not in Sydney - where I'm looking for work - so the regional visas are not an option.

ESL teachers and managers are currently on the CSOL and not on the SOL - so the 189 Skilled Independent visa is out.

The way I see it is I have two options: the 457 Temporary Work visa and the 186 Employer Nomination Scheme.

I'm currently outside Oz, but looking to head over in January - with a tourist visa if I can't get set up with a work visa by then (looking increasingly likely).

I'm currently trawling job postings for positions with employers who are willing to sponsor a visa.

I'm not having so much trouble finding interested employers - but they all seem to require the 'right to work in Australia', which rules out sponsorship.

I could really use the help of those in the know:

1) Am I correct in thinking those are my only two visa options?

2) Are there any employers in ESL known to employ foreigners? Is it more common with universities than private language companies? Any other suggestions on where to find the right type of employers?

Hi,

I've posted this on another thread so sorry for repeating but thought more people would see it here and be able to offer some advice....

I am in my 2nd year of teaching in Early Years but am currently on maternity leave, I have requested to return to my current school in January as part time because the cost of childcare will eat up the majority of my wages. My request was denied :-( now I have until Monday to tell my school if I will be returning to work in January full time or leaving completely. I have been in touch with a supply agency who say they can definitely get me work 3 days a week. Have worked out that doing 3 days on supply would be better for me financially compared to working full time and paying for childcare full time but the work isn't guaranteed and I don't get paid during the holidays. I also need to consider what will be best when it comes to registering as a teacher in Australia, I would like to stay in Early years. I'm thinking all of the form filling and requesting references would be easier if I have been at the same school since the start of my career but with supply I may be able to get experience with children age 0-2 which will cover some of the requirements for registration with ACECQA (which is who I need to register with to be able to work specifically in Early Years) this won't pay as good a wage as supply in a school and we are desperately trying to save for our move. Any advice on what would be the best course of action?????? Thanks in advance xx

Hi,

I've posted this on another thread so sorry for repeating but thought more people would see it here and be able to offer some advice....

I am in my 2nd year of teaching in Early Years but am currently on maternity leave, I have requested to return to my current school in January as part time because the cost of childcare will eat up the majority of my wages. My request was denied :-( now I have until Monday to tell my school if I will be returning to work in January full time or leaving completely. I have been in touch with a supply agency who say they can definitely get me work 3 days a week. Have worked out that doing 3 days on supply would be better for me financially compared to working full time and paying for childcare full time but the work isn't guaranteed and I don't get paid during the holidays. I also need to consider what will be best when it comes to registering as a teacher in Australia, I would like to stay in Early years. I'm thinking all of the form filling and requesting references would be easier if I have been at the same school since the start of my career but with supply I may be able to get experience with children age 0-2 which will cover some of the requirements for registration with ACECQA (which is who I need to register with to be able to work specifically in Early Years) this won't pay as good a wage as supply in a school and we are desperately trying to save for our move. Any advice on what would be the best course of action?????? Thanks in advance xx

Hi Selina,

If you want to work in the school system over here, you will not be able to just request kindergarten (reception/early years) and will have to have your qualifications assessed through AITSL. However, if you would like to work as an Early Childhood Teacher (ECT) in preschools or day care centres, you will only need to get your qualifications assessed through ACECQA. You will need the 0-2 yrs experience for this to be awarded ECT. I was a primary school teacher in UK and got my teacher status through GTP route which is not recognised so unless I do a 2 year masters in primary here, I have to work as an ECT. I always worked in reception so I dont mind this so much as senior preschool here is also aged 4 to 5.

Hope that helps

Hi Selina,

If you want to work in the school system over here, you will not be able to just request kindergarten (reception/early years) and will have to have your qualifications assessed through AITSL. However, if you would like to work as an Early Childhood Teacher (ECT) in preschools or day care centres, you will only need to get your qualifications assessed through ACECQA. You will need the 0-2 yrs experience for this to be awarded ECT. I was a primary school teacher in UK and got my teacher status through GTP route which is not recognised so unless I do a 2 year masters in primary here, I have to work as an ECT. I always worked in reception so I dont mind this so much as senior preschool here is also aged 4 to 5.

Hope that helps

Thanks Roxy,

I already have a positive assessment from AITSL as an Early Childhood Teacher but thought if I wanted to work in a school doing kindergarten I would have to register with the teaching board of the specific state (I am thinking of going to Perth so that would be the TRBWA)? How have you found working in a private preschool? And how did you find the ACECQA assessment, did you already have 0-2 experience? To gain 0-2 experience it looks like supply work is the answer. Thank again for the reply :-) x

Have you checked if any states are sponsoring?

I believe I've looked at every option, from state sponsoring to private language companies and universities.

I'd really like to hear from any members of the ESL community who know of specific organizations open to foreign hire via the sponsorship schemes.