Teachers Moving or Living in Australia

TeacherBen

For migration points you only need to take the IELTS general but it's worth checking what the teaching board of the state you want to go to require in case they would prefer Academic (I know for WA and VIC if you have 4 years of UK university education this is enough and you don't need Academic IELTS). As you are not claiming points for work experience you can apply for a 189 during your NQT year x

As you are not claiming points for work experience you can apply for a 189 during your NQT year x

Okay. So I won't encounter a 'have you completed your NQT induction year?' type question during the application process as far as you know?

(Thank you for the responses, Selina. It is greatly appreciated)

No you don't need to have completed your NQT year as far as I'm aware, AITSL won't ask about your NQT year. They assess your ITT and not experience unless you've requested it for extra points.

I agree with Benj, I don't remember being asked.

I am 10 years in to my career and I am currently completing the provisional registration to full in QLD as they didn't count my GB experience :P

Its all good though, after 10 years I should have a rough idea what I am doing.

No you don't need to have completed your NQT year as far as I'm aware, AITSL won't ask about your NQT year. They assess your ITT and not experience unless you've requested it for extra points.

Thanks. So I can get my IELTS taken and skills assessment application sent off now, however, I'm assuming that I will be unable to submit an EOI until my NQT year is concluded though??

No, you'd still be able to submit EOI and visa application. The whole visa process is totting up points and checking your eligibility through your health and character ie medical/police checks. When you get a successful AITSL assessment you won't be questioned on it again, just upload your positive assessment result.

I agree with Benj, I don't remember being asked.

I am 10 years in to my career and I am currently completing the provisional registration to full in QLD as they didn't count my GB experience :P

Its all good though, after 10 years I should have a rough idea what I am doing.

I feel your pain. I am upgrading my registration with VIT this year to full. Having just gone through threshold before leaving the UK I feel a but silly finding evidence of basic competance in the teaching standards.

Hello,

Apologies if this is covered in this rather long thread. My wife who is a Computer Engineer wants to become a 'Teacher' in Australia. However, she hasn't done any teaching related courses or taken any education in this line. How should she proceed? Any courses that she could do which will serve her well in becoming a Teacher?

Also, I'm a Chartered Accountant from India. I'm undergoing CPA Australia. Does it make sense for me to get into teaching or should I focus on getting a job in Finance/Audit/Taxation/Accounting etc.? What do you think?

No, you'd still be able to submit EOI and visa application. The whole visa process is totting up points and checking your eligibility through your health and character ie medical/police checks. When you get a successful AITSL assessment you won't be questioned on it again, just upload your positive assessment result.

So just to make the implication explicit, at no point in the application process from the EOI onwards is your number of years teaching experience taken into consideration regarding whether you are granted a visa or not i.e. experience is not part of the criteria used to assess you for a 189? The number of years experience you have (or have not!) is purely related to whether you wish to claim points?

Is that what you are saying if I'm reading you correctly, Benji?

That's how I would read it Jazzhead, I'm on Maternity leave at the moment and have had my NQT year signed off early but a migration agent I had a consultation with encouraged me to start the process even though I had only just passed my PGCE. I think actual teaching experience only comes into question when applying for registration for the different states and of course applying for jobs x

So just to make the implication explicit, at no point in the application process from the EOI onwards is your number of years teaching experience taken into consideration regarding whether you are granted a visa or not i.e. experience is not part of the criteria used to assess you for a 189? The number of years experience you have (or have not!) is purely related to whether you wish to claim points?

Is that what you are saying if I'm reading you correctly, Benji?

Yes.

Having said this, I've just stumbled across this on the DIPB website under 'Skilled Independent (Subclass 189) Document Checklist':

Skilled employment: evidence of working full-time in skilled employment in the 10 years before you were invited to apply, such as:

• employment references
  • contracts, pay slips, tax returns, group certificates
  • evidence that you have been self-employed
  • any other documents that you provided to the relevant assessing authority to obtain your skills assessment, including any documents relating to your employment history.

Source: http://www.immi.gov.au/visas/pages/checklists/189.aspx

This appears to suggest that applying immediately after PGCE may not be the wisest move no?

I photocopied payslips but then again I had some. It is always going to be better to have experience in the skill that you've been assessed in, but to be honest I'm not sure what to suggest here. You would have to provide what you can within that list, maybe one of our POI resident migration agents could reassure you concerning 189 visa evidence.

I photocopied payslips but then again I had some. It is always going to be better to have experience in the skill that you've been assessed in, but to be honest I'm not sure what to suggest here. You would have to provide what you can within that list, maybe one of our POI resident migration agents could reassure you concerning 189 visa evidence.

Thanks Benji. I've noticed that a question that frequently appears on migration agents' preliminary questionnaires is 'have you worked in your nominated skilled occupation for at least 12 of the last 24 months?'.

This suggests that I will probably have to wait until my NQT year is completed before submitting an EOI (this will be July 2016 for me).

Thanks Benji. I've noticed that a question that frequently appears on migration agents' preliminary questionnaires is 'have you worked in your nominated skilled occupation for at least 12 of the last 24 months?'.

This suggests that I will probably have to wait until my NQT year is completed before submitting an EOI (this will be July 2016 for me).

The other advantage is waiting is that experience will increase your chances of getting a job. There are a lot of unemployed Australian teachers her, in Victoria at least. So it's a tough market. Don't leave it too long though as they are regularly changing the rules and removing occupations from the list. I ended up being talking into staying. It took me 5yrs to get over here in the end.

Hello,

I have been a voyeur on this forum for a while, soaking up the invaluable guidance given.

I have a query myself about registering to teach in Victoria.

I am a Secondary school Design Technology teacher, with 10 years experience looking to teach in Victoria. I have contacted the VIT directly about the following questions, but their answers seem to be lifted directly from their online guidance, which is not explicit enough for my liking. I was wondering whether anyone had any advice about the following;

I currently have a UK CRB check (all clear) valid from May 2015. Will this suffice for their requirements? I cannot see why it wouldn’t but the CRB does not specify the length of time it covers (I have always presumed it covered any criminal convictions during your adult life?) the VIT require at least 10 years worth of coverage.

The application requires Professional Practice report, not the STP which I have. I states that it must indicate that I have taught,unsupervised, for at least 80 days. Obviously I can arrange for my school to provide this, but I was wondering how much detail it needs to go into? Does it need to be a simple run down of the years of service, progression through the teaching scale, years I have taught and roles of responsibility? Or does it needs to be more akin to a reference, outlaying the value I have added to the school?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, Tom.

Edited by Tommyers

The other advantage is waiting is that experience will increase your chances of getting a job. There are a lot of unemployed Australian teachers her, in Victoria at least. So it's a tough market. Don't leave it too long though as they are regularly changing the rules and removing occupations from the list. I ended up being talking into staying. It took me 5yrs to get over here in the end.

Thanks Rachel. I don't have the luxury of time to um and ah about it anyway. When I complete my NQT year next July I will have a 5 month window in which to apply before I turn 40 thus dropping 10 points. This would see me short of the pass rate. I will get AITSL and IELTS in the bag this year then have it all ready to submit a 189 app in 12 months ish.

Thanks for advice everybody.

Tommyers

From memory (and my memory is often bad) there was a form that could be downloaded from the VIT website which my girlfriend gave to the head master to fill out.

As for the CRB check, I think my wife used the one she had to get for visa application purposes, it was a few months old but was fine

Edited by wolvesaussie

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Quick question - can you apply for teaching posts while your visa is still being processed? My AITSL skills assessment probably won't be confirmed until end July. We intend to submit an EOI straight away and front load out police and medical checks, however I can't see our visa being granted until say start of October at the earliest. I'm getting the impression that posts being advertised to start in January will all have been allocated by then - am I right? Thanks.

Hi,

Quick question - can you apply for teaching posts while your visa is still being processed? My AITSL skills assessment probably won't be confirmed until end July. We intend to submit an EOI straight away and front load out police and medical checks, however I can't see our visa being granted until say start of October at the earliest. I'm getting the impression that posts being advertised to start in January will all have been allocated by then - am I right? Thanks.

You can try applying, but most advertisements for teaching positions stipulate that you must have the right to live and work in Australia.

Jobs for the next year are mainly advertised between June and September, with most being filled by October. However, if you are a maths or science teacher, then you may still be able to pick up something.

Remember that you must also be registered with the TRB in the state that you wish to teach, this can also take a number of weeks.

I've been told by several Aussies that being male is advantageous when applying for a 189 listing Teacher as skilled occupation. Some light googling seems to support this by highlighting the relative lack of male teachers in Australia.

Could anyone offer either their thoughts and/or experience pertaining to this?

I've been told by several Aussies that being male is advantageous when applying for a 189 listing Teacher as skilled occupation. Some light googling seems to support this by highlighting the relative lack of male teachers in Australia.

Could anyone offer either their thoughts and/or experience pertaining to this?

I do not believe that they are allowed to discriminate on the basis of gender when awarding visas.

However, yes there is a lack of male teachers in the primary education teaching sector. Having said that, there are far more male Principals than females.