Teachers Moving or Living in Australia

TeacherBen

To get the required minimum of 60 points for a 189 app I have worked out that I will need to obtain Superior English in the IELTS test. This equates to a minimum score of 8 across all four categories. Can anyone advise me as to the difficulty of the General English test and how to best go about preparing for it? TIA.

Edited by Jazzhead

I have just taken the IELTS general exam and luckily got speaking:9, reading:9, listening:9 and writing:8. I would suggest looking at you tube for lots of clips. There is a specific way they want you to answer the writing essay so this is what I revised the most. I found ieltsliz helpful on you tube and she has a website with lots of good revision questions. Ieltssimon is another good website. Good luck x

I have just taken the IELTS general exam and luckily got speaking:9, reading:9, listening:9 and writing:8. I would suggest looking at you tube for lots of clips. There is a specific way they want you to answer the writing essay so this is what I revised the most. I found ieltsliz helpful on you tube and she has a website with lots of good revision questions. Ieltssimon is another good website. Good luck x

Thank you, Selina :)

Edited by Jazzhead

Really? Can you direct me to a source which will confirm this?

Other users - have you had to do the academic test?

Some teaching authorities require academic for registration. It may vary from state to state though. I don't think there is a huge difference between the two tests though.

If you need IELTS for immigration points you only need to take the general. If you do not have a British, Irish, Canadian, USA or NZ passport and need to prove a English proficiency for AITSL you need to take the academic X

That seems at odds with the official statement on AITSL's site here: http://www.aitsl.edu.au/induction-registration/nationally-consistent-registration-of-teachers/elements-of-nationally-consistent-registration-of-teachers/english-language-proficiency

It states there explicitly that Academic is required.

What is the source of your info, Selina?

We had a consultation with a migration agent and I asked specifically what test I needed to book. They told me general was fine to get the 20 points for immigration. I did ask about registration and they said because I'm a British citizen and have been educated in the UK I wouldn't have to prove English proficiency :-( hmmmmmm won't be happy if that info was wrong.

This is is from the AITSL website though:

English language proficiency assessment is not required for registration as a teacher where the full four years of required higher education study (or qualifications assessed as comparable) have been undertaken in English in Australia, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, the United States of America, Canada and the Republic of Ireland. (These are the countries accepted under Australian migration policy as not requiring English language proficiency assessment.)

I have had a peek on state reg education sites and I must admit that the word Academic does feature prominently on their English proficiency guidelines.

I guess contacting the respective state reg bodies is the way to a definitive answer.

Yep it's worth having a look, I've just checked Vic and WA as they would be our top pics if we are successful with our visa and they will accept the 4 years Uni education. Phewwww did not want to have to redo the IELTS!!! X

Excellent :)

I'm in two minds about applying for PR. I really want to live and work in Australia, however, I would be going over as a single man. It's the price of property that is making me wince. I'm nearly 40 now and the prospect of having to house share isn't appealing.

Guest mommymonster
Just thought, is there a distinction between the teacher 'registration' with AITSL and 'registration' with state education bodies that allows one to work in that state?

Yes Jazzhead. I was thinking along the same line too. Is AITSL the only way to go for teacher skilled assessment?

Guest mommymonster

I took the Academic paper but unfortunately results came reverse. Now i am looking at alternative visa strategies.

Yes Jazzhead. I was thinking along the same line too. Is AITSL the only way to go for teacher skilled assessment?

You cannot work as a teacher in Australia without gaining a successful skills assessment outcome from AITSL. With you not being a native English speaker, I am pretty sure you will simply have to retake IELTS academic until you achieve the required minimum score regardless of which visa route you take, mommymonster.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone!

Forgive me if I am asking something previously asked or answered, but this is my first post!

I am currently finishing my PGDE in Scotland, before doing my probation (NQT) year here. After this I will be moving to Geelong Victoria with my family.

I am well aware that it is going to be a real challenge to get a full time post. However, I am looking for a little bit of advice on what it is actually like to be a teacher in Australia. How does it compare?

Also what will I need to do except from becoming registered when I get there? Do I need to sit exams or anything based on an Australian curriculum?

Thanks in advance!!

Hi TeacherScot.... just want to say hi, I may be of limited assistance, my wife is a UK teacher and we moved to Geelong because it is where she found work.

Geelong has a lot of good private schools, she was given a full time perm job right away. Geelong is great.. My wife enjoys teaching much more here in Geelong. She is half way through her second year now. She came from an inner city Birmingham School to work for a private school here so the difference is night and day.. but thats not UK V Australia as such as your not comparing apples with apples.

All she needed to do was register with VIT which we did from the UK. She came as my partner (im dual nationality Australian) so no skills assessment required for her. You dont have to sit any exams for Australian Curriculum you just learn it on the job..

The Pros

* Much more polite kids

* 14 year old's that are still kids

* NO OFSTEAD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

* More freedom to teach what and how you want

* $$$$$$$$

The Cons

* She is emailing kids and parents in the evenings (private school they sort of expect it)

* Activities outside of school times (but these are fun) camps, plays, sports etc..

Edited by wolvesaussie

You cannot work as a teacher in Australia without gaining a successful skills assessment outcome from AITSL. With you not being a native English speaker, I am pretty sure you will simply have to retake IELTS academic until you achieve the required minimum score regardless of which visa route you take, mommymonster.

Hi that is not exactly true, my wife came over on a partner visa and she didn't have to do AITSL assessment, that's only for people going down the skilled migration route I think. Other visas such as the working holiday visa also allow you to teach without AITSL.. you only need that for your visa, not to be able to teach, for that, you just need to register in your state

Thanks wolvesaussie! That sounds great, I will be hoping to also get employment in the private sector as well. Fortunately I teach in Scotland, so have never been 'lucky' enough to experience OFSTED!

I take it in Australia teachers are better off with $$?

Thanks wolvesaussie! That sounds great, I will be hoping to also get employment in the private sector as well. Fortunately I teach in Scotland, so have never been 'lucky' enough to experience OFSTED!

I take it in Australia teachers are better off with $$?

Yeah on the back of two years experience she went from £21,000 ish to $70,000 ish

I will be going across with one years experience and on similar money! That is so good to know. Everyone says that Australia is more expensive, but I struggle to think that it is THAT much more expensive!!

Sounds like a better quality of life in general to teach in Aus :)