Teachers Moving or Living in Australia

TeacherBen

Has anyone else on here been frustrated when trying to register to teach? I have a PR visa and AITSL certificate and now WA have decided that my PGCE transcript is not good enough so I need to contact my university for another even though the first one was good enough. I am desperate to start work and am finding casual labouring jobs or anything else hard to come by in Perth. Any thoughts anyone especially in regards to where I can get some work to tide me over?

All the best,

Chall.

I have not posted in a while but I have been reading peoples posts with interest. After being denied qualification recognition by the AITSL which luckily wasn't needed as my OH was the main applicant and had a job to come to, my family and I arrived in Jan 2015. We have settled well and I have been plodding on in the background applying to BOSTES, ACECQA (Early years Teacher) and now NSW. The time has come for me to do final preparations for my Suitability to teach interview, and to be honest I'm bricking it. I have not had an interview in a while and am not even sure what they'll ask. At this time any advice or just reassuring words would be great. I always prefered being judged on my work with the children, I just turn into a bumbling wreck at interviews, even when I know the things Lol. The first of many interviews I hope, just need to get passed this one.

Guest Guest226914

The interview is not bad at all. I had a very lovely man interview me and it lasted about 15 mins. He just asked general questions about behaviour management and classroom management. As long as you have experience teaching you will find it easy. It is nowhere near as stressful as a real job interview.

I have not posted in a while but I have been reading peoples posts with interest. After being denied qualification recognition by the AITSL which luckily wasn't needed as my OH was the main applicant and had a job to come to, my family and I arrived in Jan 2015. We have settled well and I have been plodding on in the background applying to BOSTES, ACECQA (Early years Teacher) and now NSW. The time has come for me to do final preparations for my Suitability to teach interview, and to be honest I'm bricking it. I have not had an interview in a while and am not even sure what they'll ask. At this time any advice or just reassuring words would be great. I always prefered being judged on my work with the children, I just turn into a bumbling wreck at interviews, even when I know the things Lol. The first of many interviews I hope, just need to get passed this one.

Has anyone else on here been frustrated when trying to register to teach? I have a PR visa and AITSL certificate and now WA have decided that my PGCE transcript is not good enough so I need to contact my university for another even though the first one was good enough. I am desperate to start work and am finding casual labouring jobs or anything else hard to come by in Perth. Any thoughts anyone especially in regards to where I can get some work to tide me over?

All the best,

Chall.

I don't understand this. I know they're different assessors but they have asked for the same thing?! What has WA said about your transcript?

WA have said the transcript I provided for AITSL isn't good enough and lacking details. It's costing me another $500 and all that is really missing is a few details like my student number. They've said that a signed letter from the uni saying that what I have is all they give out will be enough to carry on my application which is all very frustrating. I actually want to go remote too and they're crying out for people to do it. It's all a bit frustrating as casual work seems to be hard to come by at the minute. Chin up though!

I know what you mean I had all of that from ACECQA to the point I just gave up. At the end of the day I can teach both Early Years and Primary just not in Australia. It's Australia's loss.

I am sorry it did not work out for you, but it is not Australia's loss. Unfortunately we are oversupplied with teachers and there are new grads each year chomping at the bit to get work..

I really don't get these assessing authorities.

As long as you got the qualification for a PGCE with the transcript and the end of the course showing all your units and credits, your name, the academic year, what is the problem?

Really, TRBWA last year registered people from overseas within a month's time. Are they getting pickier?

Are you going for non-practising registration or provisional? I went for non practising as it was my gap year travelling, and none of all these details were specifically required.

I find AITSL is usually more stringent than the Registration boards. They had me translating every single certificate/transcript from my French Baccalaureat onwards (more than 10 pages!) for the sake of checking that I ACTUALLY completed a proper MA degree.

Money well invested, I hope... CO will tell soon!

WA have said the transcript I provided for AITSL isn't good enough and lacking details. It's costing me another $500 and all that is really missing is a few details like my student number. They've said that a signed letter from the uni saying that what I have is all they give out will be enough to carry on my application which is all very frustrating. I actually want to go remote too and they're crying out for people to do it. It's all a bit frustrating as casual work seems to be hard to come by at the minute. Chin up though!

I really don't get these assessing authorities.

As long as you got the qualification for a PGCE with the transcript and the end of the course showing all your units and credits, your name, the academic year, what is the problem?

Really, TRBWA last year registered people from overseas within a month's time. Are they getting pickier?

Are you going for non-practising registration or provisional? I went for non practising as it was my gap year travelling, and none of all these details were specifically required.

I find AITSL is usually more stringent than the Registration boards. They had me translating every single certificate/transcript from my French Baccalaureat onwards (more than 10 pages!) for the sake of checking that I ACTUALLY completed a proper MA degree.

Money well invested, I hope... CO will tell soon!

I don't get it either because they have said they're not really fussed but won't process my application any further at the minute and that's just the qualifications check. They will take more money of me and let me apply for non practicing because that's all I am eligible for at the minute. I understand AITSL being picky because their check is for migration purposes but I thought that would be it for checking. Still, I'll do what I have to. Onwards!

Well guys my situation is even more complicated! I must sit an English test, as my degree is from Italy. This is despite I have a UK Pgce, 18 years in the UK and 2 of those teaching in UK secondary schools. Absolutely ridiculous, now I have to shell more money. To teach in private schools I must do the Ielts and then later the Peat if I wish to teach in Nsw government schools. It's going to cost nearly $900 hoping I pass first time, as they make them quite difficult for foreigner teachers. Arghhhhhh

Edited by Grabri

Well guys my situation is even more complicated! I must sit an English test, as my degree is from Italy. This is despite I have a UK Pgce, 18 years in the UK and 2 of those teaching in UK secondary schools. Absolutely ridiculous, now I have to shell more money. To teach in private schools I must do the Ielts and then later the Peat if I wish to teach in Nsw government schools. It's going to cost nearly $900 hoping I pass first time, as they make them quite difficult for foreigner teachers. Arghhhhhh

I know quite a few teachers who achieved their degrees overseas and then completed a graduate diploma of education (primary or secondary) in Australia. They too had to sit an English test as their first degree was from overseas where English was not the first language.

It makes sense, as there really needs to be some sort of formal assessment to ensure that a teacher has a good grasp of the language.

Good luck with all this! It sometimes seems like a lot of red tape especially when visas have been granted. My forms are all in now and yep, it's non practising for thos eof us who haven't taught in Oz or NZ. Good luck everyone!

Hi Guys - not posted for a little while, but still having alot of trouble with moving to Oz

Like many people have said the market for Primary educators is very saturated. Currently i have manged to Register is WATRB (Western Oz Teacher Registration Board) As a teacher and had the qualifications checked by AITSL, so all fine. I have chosen WA as they are one of the only 2 states nominating for perminant visa currently.

I feel i am applying to every job going on WA jobs website but not had any joy as of yet - feel so close and yet so far.

Whats more frustrating is i am highly qualified, and although 29 with only 5 years experiance, i am on leadership programe, co-ordinate literature and drama for mine and multiple schools in the UK.

Well fingers cross.

It's a tricky time for primary teachers in WA at the moment. This is the first year that year 7 has been high school and not primary so there are plenty of local, experienced primary teachers currently struggling for work.

This is true

I have found that although we now have former primary teachers working alongside us to teach junior school, the fuller timetables have gone to those who can diversify towards the upper middle and senior levels. We therefore have some year 7 teachers on 4 lines instead of 5. Although they are periodically filled up with absence cover it is not the most cost effective option for the school.

Millie

I don't get it either because they have said they're not really fussed but won't process my application any further at the minute and that's just the qualifications check. They will take more money of me and let me apply for non practicing because that's all I am eligible for at the minute. I understand AITSL being picky because their check is for migration purposes but I thought that would be it for checking. Still, I'll do what I have to. Onwards!

Yes, NP registration is for teachers from Overseas with no experience in WA.

After that, you can put an application for Full registration after teaching 2 terms in school or teaching 100 DAYS (not hours; :P).

I know Grabri,

I had to sit the IELTS twice so as to forward my AITSL application. Even worse was that I kept being short of .5 to get the required all 7s. I am still not convinced IELTS showcases your ability to deal with everyday English in a classroom with students and colleagues. As a language teacher, I feel IELTs tests your academic/debating skills, more than your effective communication skills.

But hey, the interviews and CV decide it all when it comes to getting a job, so just shell out the money for these tests, and you will reap the rewards for your efforts later on.

Don't worry, BIG Happy! :)

Edited by adonjio

A few of these primary teachers are switching to junior/secondary schools to help with the transition.

They are much valued at the moment as your average Secondary teachers are clueless and stunned by the "baby-ishness" of year 7s! :)

Primary teachers I have talked to don't like the whole formal/marking business in secondary schools and want to revert back, but jobs are rare.... It's a major dilemma. :(

It's a tricky time for primary teachers in WA at the moment. This is the first year that year 7 has been high school and not primary so there are plenty of local, experienced primary teachers currently struggling for work.
Edited by adonjio

Guest mommymonster

Hi, i'm a newbie on this forum. basically i am a 33yo secondary school teacher hoping to migrate to australia with my family. i am married and have 2 young kids aged 4 and 7. i have been doing quite a number of readings online with regards to migration, but not sure they are sufficient enough. i'm planning to apply for migration on my own, without hiring any agent.

so what i did was to sit for ielts first. and the results came in today as: [TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]Listening:[/TD]

[TD]7.0[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Reading:[/TD]

[TD]8.5[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Writing:[/TD]

[TD]8.0[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Speaking:[/TD]

[TD]7.0[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=colspan: 2]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Overall:[/TD]

[TD]7.5

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

my question is: must i resit for my ielts? bacause i understand aitsl's requirement for ielts for assessment is L8/R7/W7/S8.

pardon me as i'm quite lost at this point. while i have met the proficient english for migration points, and scored 65, for aitsl i'm falling short.

please advise. thank you!!!

A few of these primary teachers are switching to junior/secondary schools to help with the transition.

They are much valued at the moment as your average Secondary teachers are clueless and stunned by the "baby-ishness" of year 7s! :)

Primary teachers I have talked to don't like the whole formal/marking business in secondary schools and want to revert back, but jobs are rare.... It's a major dilemma. :(

This is my third year of seeing year 7 in high school as most of the independent sector made the switch early. In my experience it takes most of them about 3 weeks to snap out of the 'baby-ishness'. I have found they are more than ready for high school at this age and adjust and adapt very well to the more formal structure and expectations.

Guest mommymonster
If you are a British citizen as your transcripts are from a British university you don't need IELTS for AITSL assessment x

unfortunately i am not. hence i have registered to resit my ielts. 1 month from now! i get nervous during speaking test!