Teachers Moving or Living in Australia

TeacherBen

Hi

I registered with QCT before I applied for my visa because registration was a requirement to obtain Queensland state sponsorship for my visa. It did mean however that I had to renew provisional registration as I did not complete the 200 days within the tie frame. This was easy enough to do though

Millie

Thanks so so much vanduex and milliem for the advice. Your really selling Queensland to me. I'm going to look into the visa next.

Sorry about this, a bit OT... I am a permanent resident who just showed up 3 days ago on a 190. I wanted to get into teaching and maybe do an Initial Teacher Training, looking at teaching Business / COmputer Science. Have an CS engineering degree and a MBA. Where can I go to to check if I'm eligible for a bursary/scholarship? Can I do this part time while I work? Cheers!

I'll start my own thread once there is some hope posted on here.

Wow - this thread is amazing! Learnt so much! So nice to read good, honest advice - had some very misleading advice from agents!

We are at the very beginning of the process, gathering everything for my AITSL. Just a couple of questions if anyone can help - I'm hoping to be the lead applicant as a Early Years Teacher (Early Childhood Degree and 3-8 PGCE) as its on the SOL, my husband is a primary teacher so does he need to apply for a AITSL or not? Would he just apply to the state? Also we would love to go Sydney or Melbourne - can we apply for both states or just one? Thanks in advance!

Wow - this thread is amazing! Learnt so much! So nice to read good, honest advice - had some very misleading advice from agents!

We are at the very beginning of the process, gathering everything for my AITSL. Just a couple of questions if anyone can help - I'm hoping to be the lead applicant as a Early Years Teacher (Early Childhood Degree and 3-8 PGCE) as its on the SOL, my husband is a primary teacher so does he need to apply for a AITSL or not? Would he just apply to the state? Also we would love to go Sydney or Melbourne - can we apply for both states or just one? Thanks in advance!

Your husband does not need to apply to AITSL.

He will need to apply to the teaching registration board in the state he wishes to teach in. He will need to have four years of university education (mandatory in Australia) and supply all of his academic transcripts, as well as documentation showing a minimum of 45 days supervised teaching during his study.

Edited by Sammy1

Thank you!

Can you register to teach in more than one state?

Yes you can, just be aware that it will be expensive and each one will be slightly different in what they require. They will assess what you or your hubby can teach.

You mentioned Melbourne and Sydney, these are prime areas to teach and as primary teachers are in over supply here, relief work is the realistic and likely option.

Early childhood is more in demand, especially in day care centres.

Hi,

I will be visiting Perth and Melbourne between 24th June and 13th July. I was wondering if anyone working in a school in those areas might kindly allow me to make a brief visit in order to get a feel for an Australian school? It would be greatly appreciated.

Please let me know if you may be able to provide this opportunity.

Many thanks :)

If you would like to actually visit a school, then you will really need to contact the school directly to be granted permission.

Meanwhile lots of people on here will be able to answer any questions that you have.

Edited by Sammy1

If you would like to actually visit a school, then you will really need to contact the school directly to be granted permission.

Meanwhile lots of people on here will be able to answer any questions that you have.

Yes, of course. My wording wasn't great in my request, apologies. I was enquiring as to if any regular contributors to this forum (and ex pats) may be able to suggest their school which I could then formally approach. I am aware of the protocol for organising a school visit :)

Again, any help on this issue would be warmly welcomed. Thanks.

To Jazzhead,

I teach in WA where Languages and Music teachers are sought after. However, they don't have the best working conditions.

Music teachers tend to do a few hours in secondary, primary and instrumental. This means being spread across different institutions, with different programmes and different assessment outcomes.

It requires a lot of flexibility as well!! :)

The good thing is that you can find a job (at least in WA); provided you get out of Perth. Government subsidises housing in salary packaging. The more experience you have, the more you get paid. In my case, they recognised my 5 years experience in both UK and France, regardless of whether I was part time or not.

You can realistically start with a fixed-term contract in WA, while in VIC or NSW, you would have to do day to day relief. You just post your cv and apply to a fixed term pool with the govjobs.wa.

Principals are often chasing possible long term cover for music teachers...

Hope it helps.

Hi ChristophJPlatt,

From what I have read, you only just need to be registered with th State you are interested in teaching with. But I believe most require a PGCE or SCITT with Uni qualification attached...

The key is to have a 3year degree+1 year post graduate in education of anysort...

Hi Everyone,

Looking to move out to Oz in November, on a 417 working visa, hoping to get accredited as soon as poss and have looked into the process of doing this. I'm SCITT trained and wondered if any other people have entered teaching in Australia with similar training? I don't even know if it's possible. Just keen to hear other people's experiences.

Cheers

Chris

Hi Prakash,

If you have a 3 degree+1 year post graduate or a 4year degree in Education with 45 days of training in secondary school age range (11-19), then you can contact AITSL for skill assessment. You wil need to do IELTS and gain a 7 before you apply with them.

Another route would be to look at skills assessment with VETASSESS for your subject area (anything Bio-scientific stands a chance), albeit ignoring your teaching experience.

The key with teaching in Australia when you are not a British or North American citizen is the Skill assessment for a skilled occupation in demand. Secondary, Special needs and Pre-primary teachers are somehow needed, but Primary school teachers/college lecturers are not...

Hi All, I have 9 years of Teaching experience at High School and College level in various leading institutions in India. My academic qualifications includes M.Phil (Biochemistry), M.Sc (Biotechnology) & B.Ed (Education). I want to explore career opportunities in Australia/New Zealand so I want to know- 1. What is the prerequisites apart prom applying for PR (Permanent Residency)? 2. Do I have to do any other teaching courses for the eligibility and which are these courses ? Awaiting your apt inputs a bit on urgent basis..? Thanks, Prakash/Devayani

Hi,

I've been looking into the costs of living in Australia and can't seem to find a number for how much you should be aiming to earn a year. I'm assuming it's because it's very different for different places and everyone has a different idea of a good/basic standard of living.

So rather than ask for a number from teachers I'd thought I'd ask more general questions.

1) is money a big challenge with a teaching wage?

2) Were hoping my wife won't work the first few years so she can look after our young family. If we had a mortgage/rent 400 a week could we survive on one teaching wage? Enough to pay bills and food? Very happy to not eat out, hold off on the luxuries and settle in for the first few years. Just don't want to get there and be getting into debt.

Thanks

Edited by physicsteacher

To Jazzhead,

I teach in WA where Languages and Music teachers are sought after. However, they don't have the best working conditions.

Music teachers tend to do a few hours in secondary, primary and instrumental. This means being spread across different institutions, with different programmes and different assessment outcomes.

It requires a lot of flexibility as well!! :)

The good thing is that you can find a job (at least in WA); provided you get out of Perth. Government subsidises housing in salary packaging. The more experience you have, the more you get paid. In my case, they recognised my 5 years experience in both UK and France, regardless of whether I was part time or not.

You can realistically start with a fixed-term contract in WA, while in VIC or NSW, you would have to do day to day relief. You just post your cv and apply to a fixed term pool with the govjobs.wa.

Principals are often chasing possible long term cover for music teachers...

Hope it helps.

Thank you, Adonjio, that is of tremendous help. Gives me a much better idea of what I would be faced with should I make the move. Thanks again.

Edited by Jazzhead

I would be interested to hear more about this. Could you perhaps provide a link to a government website? Thanks.

Salary packaging can be applied to areas such as novated leasing of cars. Payment is made before tax is taken out, this can save a few thousand a year.

Cheap or free housing is available for remote areas - they are by no means palaces, believe me.

I like your comment Sammy1.

But a "palace" depends on what your standards are.

As a single teacher, I always struggled to find good housing at affordable price in West London/UK. In France, it was fine, but not the best (still about 1/3 of my salary for rent, after tax).

Now that I am "remote", by the seaside, with a 3 bed house and spacious garden for myself at a ridiculous rent rate, I consider that I have a palace, for sure.

Obviously, if you live above the 26° latitude line of Australia which is prone to storms and tornadoes, floods, etc..., well, housing quality becomes an issue. But the salaries are compensating this well... :)

Salary packaging can be applied to areas such as novated leasing of cars. Payment is made before tax is taken out, this can save a few thousand a year.

Cheap or free housing is available for remote areas - they are by no means palaces, believe me.

It depends on where you live, how much you like to "enjoy life" as some people say, or how much you are saving/investing in the future.

The starting salary for most teachers is fine if you are in regional (less temptations for spending/wasting money), but in Capital cities/suburbs, that's another story.

There are a lot of couples with 2 children who live comfortably on 1 salary at about $60K, but how they budget is the key.

In any case, Australia definitely has some of the highest salaries on the developed world for teachers and professionals. The rest is up to the individual, I guess...

Hi,

I've been looking into the costs of living in Australia and can't seem to find a number for how much you should be aiming to earn a year. I'm assuming it's because it's very different for different places and everyone has a different idea of a good/basic standard of living.

So rather than ask for a number from teachers I'd thought I'd ask more general questions.

1) is money a big challenge with a teaching wage?

2) Were hoping my wife won't work the first few years so she can look after our young family. If we had a mortgage/rent 400 a week could we survive on one teaching wage? Enough to pay bills and food? Very happy to not eat out, hold off on the luxuries and settle in for the first few years. Just don't want to get there and be getting into debt.

Thanks

I like your comment Sammy1.

But a "palace" depends on what your standards are.

As a single teacher, I always struggled to find good housing at affordable price in West London/UK. In France, it was fine, but not the best (still about 1/3 of my salary for rent, after tax).

Now that I am "remote", by the seaside, with a 3 bed house and spacious garden for myself at a ridiculous rent rate, I consider that I have a palace, for sure.

Obviously, if you live above the 26° latitude line of Australia which is prone to storms and tornadoes, floods, etc..., well, housing quality becomes an issue. But the salaries are compensating this well... :)

You did very well. Remote does not normally equate to the seaside. I see you are in Esperance, that is not really remote, but it is more out of the way.

Some of the housing is good and some of it is not at all........It's the luck of the draw. I speak from experience :)

Edited by Sammy1

I think applications will soon be opening up for teaching scholarships so please have a look!

http://www.dec.nsw.gov.au/about-us/careers-centre/school-careers/teaching/our-programs-and-initiatives/teaching-scholarships

The scholarships are not for applicants who are overseas. They are for students in Australia.

However, if you are in Australia, then good luck.

Edited by Sammy1

Hi,

thanks sammy1 and adnjio. I was abit concerned with how the press make it out to be an expensive place to live. We would hopefully live on the coast or an hour outside of a big city. So that should hopefully cut on costs.

It depends on where you live, how much you like to "enjoy life" as some people say, or how much you are saving/investing in the future.

The starting salary for most teachers is fine if you are in regional (less temptations for spending/wasting money), but in Capital cities/suburbs, that's another story.

There are a lot of couples with 2 children who live comfortably on 1 salary at about $60K, but how they budget is the key.

In any case, Australia definitely has some of the highest salaries on the developed world for teachers and professionals. The rest is up to the individual, I guess...