Teachers Moving or Living in Australia

TeacherBen

This is the issue. There are no institutes here providing supervised training in the school. How can that be covered or maybe an alternative. I have a 5 years teaching experience though.

AITSL are very strict on the 45 day supervised practice, if there is no evidence of this you will not gain a positive assessment outcome.

Thanks, that's what I thought.

Do you also happen to know what evidence I need to provide the teaching body with to register please? I will get everything prepared for application.

Thank you.

AITSL is used to obtain a visa/migration purposes. If you have a visa you can apply directly to the correct body for registration.

Thanks, that's what I thought.

Do you also happen to know what evidence I need to provide the teaching body with to register please? I will get everything prepared for application.

Thank you.

At the very minimum, you will need copies of all of your academic transcripts, with a break down of the units studied during your four years of university study.

It is mandatory to have four years of university education to be eligible to teach in Australia.

You will also need to show proof of at least 45 days supervised teaching during your training.

Each individual teaching registration board will list what it needs, but all will require the above.

Edited by Sammy1

Thank you for getting in touch with this information Sammy1.

I have studied for 5 years so should be ok I hope, but I did study a 3-yr sports degree then a 1-year PGCE opposed to a 4-year specific teaching degree so hope this will be fine.

I have taught for 7 years so do I need to dig out my NQT paperwork then? Or can my school just write a letter to provide evidence that I have completed my training and additional 6years there?

Thank you!

At the very minimum, you will need copies of all of your academic transcripts, with a break down of the units studied during your four years of university study.

It is mandatory to have four years of university education to be eligible to teach in Australia.

You will also need to show proof of at least 45 days supervised teaching during your training.

Each individual teaching registration board will list what it needs, but all will require the above.

Guest AB2015

I have a particular question relating to teaching in Australia, I am currently an Assistant Head Teacher (as well as finding some time to teach History) in a good secondary school. I enjoy both the teaching and leadership aspects of the role but having taught overseas before I would like a change of scenery.

Does anyone have any experience of moving to Australia and gaining a role in school leadership. Given the wide range of knowledge and excellent advice on this forum I would appreciate any advice as I embark on the process of getting a visa to move with my young family to Australia (hopefully Brisbane).

Thanks

This is the issue. There are no institutes here providing supervised training in the school. How can that be covered or maybe an alternative. I have a 5 years teaching experience though.

Salloo - who is the online provider? Nottingham and Sunderland both over international pgce's, which include in classroom assessment as part of the qualification. However, you should be aware that you will not get QTS from any international PGCE - you must do your post PGCE teaching in a British school (not just curriculum) to get QTS - and as far as I know Oz will not recognise uk teaching qualifications without QTS (though my info isn't up to date on that). You can get QTS recognised based on experience - requires a min of 2 british curriculum schools and lots of evidence paperwork.

Thank you for getting in touch with this information Sammy1.

I have studied for 5 years so should be ok I hope, but I did study a 3-yr sports degree then a 1-year PGCE opposed to a 4-year specific teaching degree so hope this will be fine.

I have taught for 7 years so do I need to dig out my NQT paperwork then? Or can my school just write a letter to provide evidence that I have completed my training and additional 6years there?

Thank you! 

Hi Karl

You will need to obtain a letter from the university where you completed the PGCE to state how many days supervised teaching practise you completed in schools ( must exceed 45 days) and the age ranges taught during practicum. I just contacted my uni and although it had been a long time, the archive files were still available to access through the academic registry.

You will need your Dfes QTS certificate along with all your transcripts plus any GTC registration docs. I seem to remember I also submitted a police certificate. You will not need your NQT induction evidence for QCT registration. You can complete the app on line but the documentary evidence must be sent by snail mail. It takes them around 3 months to process. You will be provisionally registered until you complete an induction year or 200 days teaching in a QLD school- similar to NQT but more a paperwork exercise than anything.

good luck

Edited by milliem

Hi Milliem. Thanks so much for replying to my question - it's lovely that people who have been in a similar situation to me are taking time to pass on info and advice.

I will gather together the evidence recommended before contacting QLD college of teachers then. :0) I notice you are Brisbane-based - did you find it tricky getting a teaching job in this region? Only asking as it's just south of Brisbane where we are heading off to in August. Is there a central website where Primary school jobs are advertised like in the UK?

Thanks a million.

Hi Karl

You will need to obtain a letter from the university where you completed the PGCE to state how many days supervised teaching practise you completed in schools ( must exceed 45 days) and the age ranges taught during practicum. I just contacted my uni and although it had been a long time, the archive files were still available to access through the academic registry.

You will need your Dfes QTS certificate along with all your transcripts plus any GTC registration docs. I seem to remember I also submitted a police certificate. You will not need your NQT induction evidence for QCT registration. You can complete the app on line but the documentary evidence must be sent by snail mail. It takes them around 3 months to process. You will be provisionally registered until you complete an induction year or 200 days teaching in a QLD school- similar to NQT but more a paperwork exercise than anything.

good luck

Hi Milliem. Thanks so much for replying to my question - it's lovely that people who have been in a similar situation to me are taking time to pass on info and advice.

I will gather together the evidence recommended before contacting QLD college of teachers then. :0) I notice you are Brisbane-based - did you find it tricky getting a teaching job in this region? Only asking as it's just south of Brisbane where we are heading off to in August. Is there a central website where Primary school jobs are advertised like in the UK?

Thanks a million.

You're welcome.

I moved to Brisbane having already spent two years in Australia and I teach Maths /science for secondary. At the time I was looking there were many jobs available because of the year 7 move to high school. I ended up being able to choose.

I have heard that primary jobs are a little scarce. If you are flexible with the area and proactive about contacting and following up with schools for supply work, you might find something. Teachers are often on the move here and Queensland Ed regularly shift staff from school to school, even if the staff weren't planning on moving voluntarily.

The private sector in Brisbane is almost as large as the public sector so it is worth applying to private schools. Brisbane Catholic Education have quite a few primary jobs advertised right now. As far as I know, you don't need to be Catholic to work for them.

good luck

Hi ladies and gentleman,

I'm just wondering if there are any Music teachers here who may be able to give me an overview of the secondary school Music landscape? What's the job market like at present?

I'm on the verge of completing my PGCE and wish to apply for a 189. Also, am I required to complete my NQT year in the UK?

Thank you ?

Hi,

new to the website and just spent the last two hours looking at all the messages on this thread. Ive learnt lots thanks!

Just unsure which state to move to. Very aware it will be challenging to find a job and I will probably have to do supply work initially. Does anyone know if some states/areas are easier to find work than others? Ideally i would like to live up to two hours outside a major city like brisbane or adelaide. Is that unrealisitic?

cheers

j

Hi,

new to the website and just spent the last two hours looking at all the messages on this thread. Ive learnt lots thanks!

Just unsure which state to move to. Very aware it will be challenging to find a job and I will probably have to do supply work initially. Does anyone know if some states/areas are easier to find work than others? Ideally i would like to live up to two hours outside a major city like brisbane or adelaide. Is that unrealisitic?

cheers

j

Hi and welcome

If you teach physics you will not have any problem finding work and it would be realistic for you to make applications in any area. In Australia teachers are often expected to teach two subjects and Sciences are usually coupled with Maths. So far I have ended up with a fairly even spread of Sciences / Mathematics for senior and middle school. Good luck

Millie

Hi Everyone,

Looking to move out to Oz in November, on a 417 working visa, hoping to get accredited as soon as poss and have looked into the process of doing this. I'm SCITT trained and wondered if any other people have entered teaching in Australia with similar training? I don't even know if it's possible. Just keen to hear other people's experiences.

Cheers

Chris

Hi Everyone,

Looking to move out to Oz in November, on a 417 working visa, hoping to get accredited as soon as poss and have looked into the process of doing this. I'm SCITT trained and wondered if any other people have entered teaching in Australia with similar training? I don't even know if it's possible. Just keen to hear other people's experiences.

Cheers

Chris

Four years of university education is required to teach, together with a minimum of 45 days of supervised teaching. One year of which must include an initial teacher training qualification

Did you undertake/ achieve a PGCE? If the teacher training was fully in the school, then you will not be eligible.

Hi Everyone,

Cheers

Chris

Not sure what visa that is to be honest! Im SCITT trained and received a positive assessment eventually. The key to it was being able to provide a transcript showing my academic content from my course (PGCE), this had to come from the accrediting university and I had to really fight for.

Hi and welcome

If you teach physics you will not have any problem finding work and it would be realistic for you to make applications in any area. In Australia teachers are often expected to teach two subjects and Sciences are usually coupled with Maths. So far I have ended up with a fairly even spread of Sciences / Mathematics for senior and middle school. Good luck

Millie

Thanks for such a quick reply. I'm going to look into the visa situation. I hoping to move July 2016 and will try and get some key stage 3 math for next academic year.

Hi All, I have 9 years of Teaching experience at High School and College level in various leading institutions in India. My academic qualifications includes M.Phil (Biochemistry), M.Sc (Biotechnology) & B.Ed (Education). I want to explore career opportunities in Australia/New Zealand so I want to know- 1. What is the prerequisites apart prom applying for PR (Permanent Residency)? 2. Do I have to do any other teaching courses for the eligibility and which are these courses ? Awaiting your apt inputs a bit on urgent basis..? Thanks, Prakash/Devayani

Hi,

does anyone know if you can register with a states college/institute of teaching before you arrive in Australia? I'm planning on moving in July next year when most of the jobs are advertised and worried I won't be able to apply because it will take time to register.

Also how long does the registration process take?

Cheers

Took approx 12 weeks for me to register with QCT. Some states you seem to be able to register abroad such as Queensland. But I know ppl who weren't able to do the same in others. Not sure which.

Thanks vanduex. Did u have to have your visa sorted before or could you apply before/sametime as you Registered with qct.

i know it's a strange question but we're hoping to have a child before we go. So won't be able to apply for the visa until there born.

Hi

I registered with QCT before I applied for my visa because registration was a requirement to obtain Queensland state sponsorship for my visa. It did mean however that I had to renew provisional registration as I did not complete the 200 days within the tie frame. This was easy enough to do though

Millie