Teachers Moving or Living in Australia

TeacherBen

Hi,

Hoping some fellow teachers in oz could give some advice. I have PR based on my partners trade, I am a primary teacher and would like to teach once we get to adelaide. However, this probably won't happen until my children are all at school in a few years.Having researched what I need to do to get my teacher rego- getting qualifications assessed, getting first aid & abuse and neglect training, up to date uk police check etc, I'm wondering, even though I won't teach for a few years, is it worth me sorting out my teaching reg once I arrive so that all the major paper work is done while everything is fresh in my mind? If I do this, would I need to reapply every year for teacher reg? And if I do need to reapply every year or whatever it is, would I need to go through the whole paperwork fiasco (qualifications assessed, justice of peace witnessing training certificates etc) that you have to do the first time round or is it a case of once it's on the system, you just pay a fee each year to teach? I'd rather get all the paper work out of the way now or when I first get there and then When I'm ready to start teaching again in a few years il be good to go rather than having to go through sorting out all the uk police check etc.

Hope this makes sense!

I was on top of main scale in UK with 15 yrs experience. Once I had submitted my statement of service my employer here put me straight on the top of their main scale. A few weeks later I was invited to apply for "experienced teacher 5", an off scale payment. Applied for and got, with little fuss. Depends on employer though. I am in catholic sector in qld.

HI Paul, I am a primary school teacher looking to move to Brisbane next July 2016. I am a bit worried as I have a BA in primary education which is three years but it seems they like you to have 4 years!! Am i going to struggle getting work. We are coming out on my partners visa as again I am unable to get a visa because of this.

Also whats a good supply agency to work for and how muvh is th daily rate. I understand I have to register with qct, is this correct?

Appreciate any help you can offer.

thanks

HI Paul, I am a primary school teacher looking to move to Brisbane next July 2016. I am a bit worried as I have a BA in primary education which is three years but it seems they like you to have 4 years!! Am i going to struggle getting work. We are coming out on my partners visa as again I am unable to get a visa because of this.

Also whats a good supply agency to work for and how muvh is th daily rate. I understand I have to register with qct, is this correct?

Appreciate any help you can offer.

thanks

Hi,

I'm assuming this one is for me unless there are any other Paul teachers in QLD on here. The 4 year thing is weird as the Aussie BEd is 4 years but the British BA (primary) is 3. I have a PGCE which is acceptable in QLD as they consider you to have done 4 years tertiary education. However they are all the same, no qualification is really considered more value than another although I can't speak for other states. If you are not coming until the middle of next year I would have them assessed again.

The Queensland College of Teachers is effectively your licence to teach. You can join as a provisional member for 2 years after which and when you've reached a number of days, you have to get a report from a principal submitted to the QCT to enable you to move to full registration.

I really don't know the position regarding your visa, maybe someone else could advise on that. I have dual citizenship but I seem to remember that I used to have to have PR before I could teach.

I can tell you one thing though, forget agencies! They don't do well here in QLD because we have a very efficient system called TRACER. The teacher relief and contract register which is a central based call out register partly funded by Education QLD. For supply work you need to be signed up with them (for the state sector) independent schools usually sort out their own relief teachers. TRACER is a great system and the pay currently around $360 a day is one of the best rates in Australia.

So quals assessed first, then QCT then TRACER and you should be on your way providing you have the appropriate visa

Paul

It is mandatory to have four years of tertiary education to to be able to teach anywhere in Australia. A three year Bachelor of Education is not enough by itself, a further year such as a Masters would need to be undertaken.

Unless the OP has the four years of study, he/she will not be eligible to be registered by any of the teacher registration boards in Australia.

It is mandatory to have four years of tertiary education to to be able to teach anywhere in Australia. A three year Bachelor of Education is not enough by itself, a further year such as a Masters would need to be undertaken.

Unless the OP has the four years of study, he/she will not be eligible to be registered by any of the teacher registration boards in Australia.

Then why should a PGCE be accepted? You could do an undergraduate degree in a totally unrelated field to education in engineering, sociology, psychology or anything else but that extra 1 year to make 4 years tertiary study shouldn't take priority and certainly doesn't make one more of a teacher than someone who has done a Bachelor of Education for 3 years.

Hi everyone!

I am new to the forum but have been trying to keep a close eye on the new information that seems to follow every months (thank you BTW).

Me and my girlfriend are going to be - fingers crossed - moving over to AUS as Primary Teachers next year (I am 25 and will be 27, partner is 22 will be 24). We both have completed our BA Hons in Primary Education (3 year degree) and I will have just completed my NQT year with previous military career background and my partner will have 2 years teaching experience. Sorry for the mouthful.

We are looking to move around Perth, but are quite open to our whereabouts. I am just worried that my experience will not help me gain a career as soon as we like and also with reading about the 3 year degree, will this affect my application as in the UK 'Tertiary education' is classed as 'further education' therefore, College - A Levels, BTEC, HA Diploma or NQT.

Any information or guidance would be amazing!

P.s. thank you for the great forum.

I'm looking for some advice....please!

I'm a UK qualified primary teacher living in Brisbane. I'm waiting for paperwork to come through from the UK in order to have qualifications assessed by QCT.

In the meantime, I really need to find some work...is there any point pursuing job opportunities in any private Early Years establishments, or will they all want an Australian qualification?

Has anyone been in the same/similar situation? If so, what type of work did you do until qualifications were assessed?

Any help/ words of advice would be greatly appreciated! :)

Hi everyone!

I am new to the forum but have been trying to keep a close eye on the new information that seems to follow every months (thank you BTW).

Me and my girlfriend are going to be - fingers crossed - moving over to AUS as Primary Teachers next year (I am 25 and will be 27, partner is 22 will be 24). We both have completed our BA Hons in Primary Education (3 year degree) and I will have just completed my NQT year with previous military career background and my partner will have 2 years teaching experience. Sorry for the mouthful.

We are looking to move around Perth, but are quite open to our whereabouts. I am just worried that my experience will not help me gain a career as soon as we like and also with reading about the 3 year degree, will this affect my application as in the UK 'Tertiary education' is classed as 'further education' therefore, College - A Levels, BTEC, HA Diploma or NQT.

you need 4 years at uni level / degree level.

You our also need to look at jobs - they are very thin on the ground for primary school teachers and there are a significant number unemployed

I'm looking for some advice....please!

I'm a UK qualified primary teacher living in Brisbane. I'm waiting for paperwork to come through from the UK in order to have qualifications assessed by QCT.

In the meantime, I really need to find some work...is there any point pursuing job opportunities in any private Early Years establishments, or will they all want an Australian qualification?

Has anyone been in the same/similar situation? If so, what type of work did you do until qualifications were assessed?

Any help/ words of advice would be greatly appreciated! :)

Too many primary teachers here as year 7's have moved up to secondary so getting a role may be tough. I'd suggest getting a teaching assistant role anywhere, failing that volunteer at your local primary - that will put you front of mind for any vacancies - In Brisbane who you know not what you know is the rule!

Then why should a PGCE be accepted? You could do an undergraduate degree in a totally unrelated field to education in engineering, sociology, psychology or anything else but that extra 1 year to make 4 years tertiary study shouldn't take priority and certainly doesn't make one more of a teacher than someone who has done a Bachelor of Education for 3 years.

Whilst I agree with your sentiment that a three year Bachelor of Education is worthy, unfortunately it is mandatory to have four years of tertiary education in Australia to be able to be registered and teach anywhere.

A PGCE fulfills that requirement as it involves a three year undergraduate degree and then a one year initial teaching qualification. It is of course up to the individual teaching registration boards as to whether they accept the content studied in the undergraduate degree...... NSW are by far the most stringent when it comes to looking at units studied in an undergraduate degree.

Changes are taking place across Australia and in the near future it will be a requirement that Australian graduates have a Masters. Meanwhile the one year grad dip in education is already on its way out.

The good news for anybody who has only a three year Bachelor of Education is that they can study a one year post grad diploma/ masters etc etc to fulfill the mandatory requirement of four years tertiary study.

Hi everyone!

Unfortunately the three year Bachelor of Education does not fulfill the mandatory requirement of four years of tertiary study. None of the teaching registration boards will register you. However, you can study a further year of post grad in a related field and then apply.

Primary teachers are not in demand in Perth and many primary teachers have switched to secondary education as this is the first year that year 7's have attended high school.

Could I just add that there is no one in my school of any nationality who has a masters degree.

There are a number in my school, but then every school is different.

As I said in my previous comment, four years of tertiary study is the mandatory requirement for teaching in Australia. At least one of those years must include an initial teaching qualification.

There are a number in my school, but then every school is different.

As I said in my previous comment, four years of tertiary study is the mandatory requirement for teaching in Australia. At least one of those years must include an initial teaching qualification.

i respect your view Sammy but totally disagree. It may be true of NSW but the OP addressed an enquiry to me about Queensland. It may be some time ago but I don't have 4 years of tertiary education, but my PGCE which was not dependant on any amount of years education is quite acceptable here, it is not in fact mandatory at all, if it was then I have been lying to Ed Queensland for the last 14 years after they have made me a curriculum manager, student mentor and on a couple of occasions acting deputy principal, and to quote my friend on other forums Chortlepuss,"In Brisbane who you know not what you know is the rule!"

Whatever your qualification is Go for it!

i respect your view Sammy but totally disagree. It may be true of NSW but the OP addressed an enquiry to me about Queensland. It may be some time ago but I don't have 4 years of tertiary education, but my PGCE which was not dependant on any amount of years education is quite acceptable here, it is not in fact mandatory at all, if it was then I have been lying to Ed Queensland for the last 14 years after they have made me a curriculum manager, student mentor and on a couple of occasions acting deputy principal, and to quote my friend on other forums Chortlepuss,"In Brisbane who you know not what you know is the rule!"

Whatever your qualification is Go for it!

So, are you saying that you do not have three years of an undergraduate degree and one year of a PGCE? I was under the impression that to do a PGCE in the UK that you had to have a three year undergraduate degree. They obviously add up to the required four years of tertiary education that is needed in Australia.

Anyway, current requirements ( and these have been in place for a long time) stipulate that four years of tertiary education is mandatory across the whole of Australia. I have been here 15 years and am well aware of educational requirements. Anybody trying to register with any of the teaching boards ,who does not have the four years, will not be successful.

The OP will not be able to register with a teaching registration board unless they have four years of university level study. I am also happy to post the link to the Queensland Teaching Registration Board (if need be) that outlines the necessary qualifications, one being four years of university study level. I am sorry, but you are wrong.

Edited by Sammy1

Sorry wrong again. I did a Grad Dip in English and Performing Arts at the University of Birmingham (2 years) then a PGCE (1 year). Mandatory across the whole of Australia means nothing at all, it entirely depends on the state you choose to live. Ed Queensland accepted it without problem, i started with supply work, then yearly contract and eventually permanency. Yes i met a lot of influential people along the way but it happened to me just as its happened to many other teachers. NSW questions the validity of the PGCE in its entirety, but not so the sunshine state!

Sorry wrong again. I did a Grad Dip in English and Performing Arts at the University of Birmingham (2 years) then a PGCE (1 year). Mandatory across the whole of Australia means nothing at all, it entirely depends on the state you choose to live. Ed Queensland accepted it without problem, i started with supply work, then yearly contract and eventually permanency. Yes i met a lot of influential people along the way but it happened to me just as its happened to many other teachers. NSW questions the validity of the PGCE in its entirety, but not so the sunshine state!

Nevertheless four years of tertiary (university) study is now required. This may be a three year undergraduate degree followed by a PGCE or it could be a four year Bachelor of Education. Alternatively, it can also be a three year Bachelor of Education as long as it is topped up with an extra year of university study in a related field.

You are giving the OP the wrong information. It is clearly stated by the Queensland Teaching Registration Board, I suggest you take a look.

Edited by Sammy1

Ok my friend that is why I have PM'd them to give them the info they want. Say what you like but I stand by my advice to them, I wonder where in QLD you teach? Sorry I'm not going to entertain you in this conversation any further, got some planning to do for tomorrow. Have a great evening!

I hope you have a good evening too.

It is just a shame that that you do not have the correct information to hand to give to the OP.

However, if the OP cares to read the rest of the teaching thread or even read the Queensland teaching Board website, then he/she will read many pieces of factual advice given by experienced educators like myself who have a wide knowledge of current legislation and requirements.