Teachers Moving or Living in Australia

TeacherBen

Quoll - you always seem to reply in either a negative or condescending manner. Do you have issues? This is a forum for people who require positive advice, not smart arsed comments, cheers

Question being if you want the answer to how it actually is or some candy flavoured answer. This forum is for advice not necessary positive but factual. Where are the smart arsed comments there, please? cheers.

I rang last night and they basically said they surmised it was employment based because the letter from uni said I was at a 'base school'. They said that there is no other option for me unless I get another letter from Uni which has deifferent wording but even then they may not accept it based on what they already have. Does anyone know of other routes to a visa to teach that doesn't require AITSL? i was wondering about nomination by private schools.

Unfortunately not, to teach at any type of school in Australia you must be registered with the relevant teaching board in that state.If AITSL will not recognise it, then they will not accept it either.

Your only option is to have it reviewed and see if the university can re-word it. However, if your course was the same as the GTP route then it simply won't be recognised.

Quoll - you always seem to reply in either a negative or condescending manner. Do you have issues? This is a forum for people who require positive advice, not smart arsed comments, cheers

How rude.

Quoll has given hundreds of people great advice about the education system here in Oz.

A few of us are educators in Australia (or have lived here) who really do know what we are talking about. Quoll simply stated a fact.

Gutted-aitsl said no, they say my pgce was employment based scitt, it was scitt but I was a registered full time student, their letter says I was employed by the school but I wasn't . I am ringing them tonight but does anyone have advice on any other route? All my family are in Oz and I want to join them!

I had my SCITT course approved by AISTL but it took some doing. I provided an academic transcript from the SCITT provider. This broke down my teaching placements and assignments into credits and stated the number of taught days and placement days. I also provided a letter from the university which confirmed the transcript was accurate, reiterated my enrolment on the course and stated why they were unable to provide the transcript. Oddly this letter had to be the original copy and not a certified transcript. Keep trying as it seems their attitude to more school focussed training is on the turn as there are rumours of them introducing a GTP like programme in Oz soon.

As an extra note though, as my university had stopped running the SCITT programme by the time I asked it did take me 6 months to get the letter off them!

Edited by Rachel Minton

I had my SCITT course approved by AISTL but it took some doing. I provided an academic transcript from the SCITT provider. This broke down my teaching placements and assignments into credits and stated the number of taught days and placement days. I also provided a letter from the university which confirmed the transcript was accurate, reiterated my enrolment on the course and stated why they were unable to provide the transcript. Oddly this letter had to be the original copy and not a certified transcript. Keep trying as it seems their attitude to more school focussed training is on the turn as there are rumours of them introducing a GTP like programme in Oz soon.

As an extra note though, as my university had stopped running the SCITT programme by the time I asked it did take me 6 months to get the letter off them!

A GTP type program is already underway in Australia, however, it is significantly different and forms the final year of a four year teaching degree.

The one year teaching graduate diploma is being phased out and a two year 'Master of Teaching' (for graduates) is replacing it.

It sounds as if there may be some hope for the OP if the university is able to confirm placement etc.

thankyou Rachel, this gives me some hope! I have now emailed Uni with your suggestions.

Thanks Sammy1 & Rachel, my course was accredited and awarded by the University, lectures were at University (1 all day sessions & 2 x afternoons into evenings) and I had 3 school placements where I did team teaching, observations and teaching all supervised by a qualified teacher totally over 45 days. All of this was in the transcript from the training provider but this was not on University headed paper and the letter said 'base school' and when I rang, AITSL said that to them that means I was employed. I will continue to pester the Uni!

Have you tried getting advice from a migration agent - mine was brilliant and practically wrote the letters for me and I just them forwarded them on for people to fill in the blanks! Maybe it'd be worthy contacting one?

Thanks Sammy1 & Rachel, my course was accredited and awarded by the University, lectures were at University (1 all day sessions & 2 x afternoons into evenings) and I had 3 school placements where I did team teaching, observations and teaching all supervised by a qualified teacher totally over 45 days. All of this was in the transcript from the training provider but this was not on University headed paper and the letter said 'base school' and when I rang, AITSL said that to them that means I was employed. I will continue to pester the Uni!

That does sound hopeful. Good luck.

Can anyone recommend any good websites for looking for jobs in the Melbourne area? I am registered with SEEK job alerts and TES Australia. Looking for term 1 starts for Secondary Biology/Physics.

Hi my girlfriend was a biology teacher hunting for jobs this time last year. Three main resources,

* The state government website with the state school jobs in

* http://www.independentschools.com.au/ with the private school jobs in

* The Age Newspaper on a Saturday.

* seek had very few jobs on it..

Edited by wolvesaussie

Can anyone recommend any good websites for looking for jobs in the Melbourne area? I am registered with SEEK job alerts and TES Australia. Looking for term 1 starts for Secondary Biology/Physics.

Hi

it might be worth registering with the council of international schools as they are dotted across Australia. They are also holding their annual conference in Australia this year:

http://www.cois.org/

Also the International Baccalaureate schools advertise on their own site:

http://www.ibo.org/country/AU/

The Catholic Education have their own recruitment process and as they are unionised, their pay is more in line with state awards:

http://www.ceomelb.catholic.edu.au/professional-pathways/working-in-catholic-education/

There seems to be more positions available for Science / Maths; senior Physics teachers are always in short supply anywhere.

Best of luck

Millie

For all teachers heading to WA.The government job freeze finishes as of 12am tonight.

My advice is to keep a vigilant eye on the jobswa website. Schools are very likely going to advertise for their pools over a very short time frame.

Most advertisements will appear between July and September in preparation for staffing for 2015.

All of the adverts will ask you to address the Australian National Standards in your application. Now is the time to go to the website and familiarise yourself with the standards.http://www.aitsl.edu.au/australian-professional-standards-for-teachers

You should also apply to the fixed term pool.

Good luck.

Edited by Sammy1

Hi fellow teachers! My husband arrived in Adelaide last Thursday and we are feeling pretty optimistic about work (supply at least). He has already got one school signing him up for work after their holiday (2 week holiday next week and the week after), he has an appointment at another school to have an interview with the DHT and has (when completing his mandatory training day) met a lady who was really impressed with him and she said they have assistant positions coming up pretty soon at her school and would put in a good word. (Not sure how influential she is in her school but you never know!).

I join him in 2 1/2 weeks! I am soooo excited and I am now feeling pretty optimistic about us getting teaching jobs. I recon he will be supplying within the month and then hopefully some more permanent jobs may come up for him. I am not sure when I will look as we need to get our boys sorted out in school and kindy so I will probably have to sort that out first.

So although my husband hasn't got a job yet it is certainly not looking too doom and gloom so fingers crossed and good luck to everyone!

We certainly seem to be short of maths and science teachers here so it is great that there is interest for this. However, we are training many more teachers than there are jobs in other subjects so you have to wonder why they recruit teachers from o/seas. Doesn't seem quite right to me.

Sammy - Are you able to give us some more brilliant advice pls. Most jobs my wife has seen advertised are for Maths/Science do many schools not want straightforward Maths Teachers...thanks.

I think you are coming over to Perth?

The good news for maths teachers here (WA), is that generally they only need teach maths.

Quite seriously, keep a eye on advertisements. Since yesterday there have been a lot for maths teachers across Perth. Some are for pools and some for permanent positions (like gold dust).

There will be a demand for maths teachers with the year 7's going to high school next year for the first time. The recruitment period has started and by September/October most jobs will be snapped up.

Let me know if I can help.

I think you are coming over to Perth?

The good news for maths teachers here (WA), is that generally they only need teach maths.

Quite seriously, keep a eye on advertisements. Since yesterday there have been a lot for maths teachers across Perth. Some are for pools and some for permanent positions (like gold dust).

There will be a demand for maths teachers with the year 7's going to high school next year for the first time. The recruitment period has started and by September/October most jobs will be snapped up.

Let me know if I can help.

Thanks Sammy & Yes Perth.

Unfortunately we won't be there until March / April.

Do they do any phone interviews as at a push we could make it there for December ready for the new School year.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hi to all teachers. Both myself and girlfriend are moving out to Sydney in September and are both teachers. I'm currently a HOD in Design and Technology and she is a KS4 co-ordinator in English.

I have registered with Smart, Hays and look daily on teachers on net, TES Australia, NSW government site and any others I know of too. Most applications I have not heard back from so maybe I'm doing something wrong??

Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated and any I can give I will do happily.

Cheers

My wife sent her forms off to be registered with TRBWA the other day, she is going to apply for some jobs from the UK on the off chance they maybe interested & also a guy we know teaching in Yanchep is going to hand her CV in at his school to see if anything comes of it.

Hi, I am not sure... Italian used to be really popular in schools here in Melbourne as they taught us the lanaguage of the immigrants... I could choose between Italian, Greek and Macedonian... however I believe they are now into more asian langagues, not sure if that has meant less jobs for italian teachers