Teachers Moving or Living in Australia

TeacherBen

I'm a Head of Bio currently doing p/t doctorate in education (due to complete pretty soon). I would like to move out to Brisbane to be closer to family and friends, but am a little overwhelmed at what I should do first!

I should also really say hello and a big thanks to people who have already posted. I've been reading this thread with great interest and there's been some really good advice.

Back to basics. Have you started the process yet? Checked points etc? Registered with a migration agent?

I have done absolutely nothing bar make the decision that it's right for me to attempt to go....pretty hopeless!

Hello,

I've been a deputy head at a large primary school for 3 years and am looking to move to NSW and teach part-time initially until my family are settled. I've heard lots about there being no primary teaching jobs out there - is this still the case?

Ideally I'd prefer to be in a primary school but my degree covers me for 4-11. I phoned AITSL but was advised that primary teachers are not on the SOL and I would not be eligible to have my skills assessed for early childhood teacher instead. Does anyone have any advice on this?

I'm planning on moving to Oz as a family member on my husband's visa as he is on the SOL so am able to do casual work if required.

Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

Hello,

I've been a deputy head at a large primary school for 3 years and am looking to move to NSW and teach part-time initially until my family are settled. I've heard lots about there being no primary teaching jobs out there - is this still the case?

Ideally I'd prefer to be in a primary school but my degree covers me for 4-11. I phoned AITSL but was advised that primary teachers are not on the SOL and I would not be eligible to have my skills assessed for early childhood teacher instead. Does anyone have any advice on this?

I'm planning on moving to Oz as a family member on my husband's visa as he is on the SOL so am able to do casual work if required.

Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

You will most probably have to do relief work when you first arrive, followed by contract work once the schools get to know you.

You must have four years of university education to be able to teach anywhere in Oz.

Primary teachers are not in demand as there is a huge surplus.

My advice is to put the hard yards in when you arrive and perhaps expect to have to do something else for a while.

NSW is the most stringent when it comes to registering teachers and if they say you are not eligible to be an early education teacher, then that is the case. As you are coming on your husband's visa you will not need your skills assessed by AITSL, but you will need to be assessed and registered by the NSW Teaching Registration Board before you are allowed to teach in a public or private school.

Make sure that you bring all of your documents, including the transcripts from your four year degree and the number of supervised teaching days completed whilst you were a student.

Edited by Sammy1

Hi to all teachers aiming to move out Oz.

I've returning from a years teacher exchange to an independent all through school in south NSW in December 2013- this was our families trial move to validate our visa.

I taught year 7-10 sci and year 7 maths plus senior bio. I generally teach sci and ict to years 5-8in a middle school in Staffordshire but didn't find it too bad.

I did find some aspects of teaching in Oz really frustrating, assessment procedures that don't really assess understanding of concepts, the apathy of some yr9-10 students as they have no school certificate exam and when they have decided they are not taking science at hsc level then they can down tools somewhat.

We did miss the countryside of the UK terribly and we now feel torn between the two places...... very odd feeling.

But in terms of pressure/stress from the system is was a case of doing your best in lower school and as long as parents/leaders were happy then that's ok. It was regional rural school.

They offered me a job but I had to decline as we have house etc in UK.

Now sold up after hating the political/Ofsted/gestapo rubbish back here.

So now looking to possibly moving to oz in 2015 if I secure a job.

Hopefully the years experience will serve me well.

If anyone wants to trial it out then I would defo say do an exchange, you gain a lot but lose nothing.

My wife did a lot of casual teaching also- a good brit teacher goes down well due to our general work ethic and good planning etc.

I think I was the only teacher who marked books in the whole school...... not quite like we have to do back in the UK but still the students appreciated it in the year 7-8 especially and they earned treats with stamps etc.... Behaviour is not great but also not terrible it seems to be the case of if they can't be arsed then they will flunk out. Well that was my experience.

Our best friends have moved to Sydney both as teachers and are in a TOP boys schools (mega fees etc) but say it is no good at all, lots of political infighting , behaviour is poor and not a great place to work. So don't judge a book by its cover.

Anyway hope it all goes well for you all but be aware of the pit falls etc.

Who knows we may end up in same area somewhere some fellow brit teachers...

I've already registered with smart teachers and had interview with them but as I would prefer middle school teaching then it may be more tricky to get work. I'm also fully registered with Vic institute of teachers and NSW. The paperwork is a nightmare but you just gotta get loads of cert copies of transcripts and passports etc.

Cheers

Andy

Hi, I am Physical Education teacher from Scotland, 4 years experience, 1 in high school, 3 in Primary schools, been in Sydney 2 years now after taking a career break, in which been working for a catering company. Was not my initial plan but paid those expensive Sydney bills and have really enjoyed it. I am now at a point where I want to try and pick up some teaching, have provisional accreditation from NSW and am about to try and get registered. Any ex pats been teaching P.E in NSW, casual or otherwise, got any advice?

I'm a Head of Bio currently doing p/t doctorate in education (due to complete pretty soon). I would like to move out to Brisbane to be closer to family and friends, but am a little overwhelmed at what I should do first!

First, and sometimes the largest, hurdle is getting your skills assessed. This is done through the AISTL and can take an age, so I would recommend starting there. The whole process goes a lot smoother with an agent but it is relatively easy to do independently. I did it all myself and got my grant this morning :rolleyes:. Migration agents are costly.

They love PHD's in Oz, so you might find that once that is sorted the whole process is very simple for you.

First, and sometimes the largest, hurdle is getting your skills assessed. This is done through the AISTL and can take an age, so I would recommend starting there. The whole process goes a lot smoother with an agent but it is relatively easy to do independently. I did it all myself and got my grant this morning :rolleyes:. Migration agents are costly.

They love PHD's in Oz, so you might find that once that is sorted the whole process is very simple for you.

Thanks for your reply. I'm in the process of registering with the AITSL and the QCT! Progress has been made :)

That's what I'm beginning to realise...we can't even sort our working with children number without going in person. I'll do some digging and see if there's a way round this...not sure there will be!! When are you planning on going??

Hi Ben,

I am in the process of trying to register with NSW too, from what I've found I have to apply for the working with children in person but yet need that for the application for NSW, did you find any way around this for overseas teachers? I was hoping to be registered for when I fly out in September.

Thanks

Hi to all teachers aiming to move out Oz.

I've returning from a years teacher exchange to an independent all through school in south NSW in December 2013- this was our families trial move to validate our visa.

I taught year 7-10 sci and year 7 maths plus senior bio. I generally teach sci and ict to years 5-8in a middle school in Staffordshire but didn't find it too bad.

I did find some aspects of teaching in Oz really frustrating, assessment procedures that don't really assess understanding of concepts, the apathy of some yr9-10 students as they have no school certificate exam and when they have decided they are not taking science at hsc level then they can down tools somewhat.

We did miss the countryside of the UK terribly and we now feel torn between the two places...... very odd feeling.

But in terms of pressure/stress from the system is was a case of doing your best in lower school and as long as parents/leaders were happy then that's ok. It was regional rural school.

They offered me a job but I had to decline as we have house etc in UK.

Now sold up after hating the political/Ofsted/gestapo rubbish back here.

So now looking to possibly moving to oz in 2015 if I secure a job.

Hopefully the years experience will serve me well.

If anyone wants to trial it out then I would defo say do an exchange, you gain a lot but lose nothing.

My wife did a lot of casual teaching also- a good brit teacher goes down well due to our general work ethic and good planning etc.

I think I was the only teacher who marked books in the whole school...... not quite like we have to do back in the UK but still the students appreciated it in the year 7-8 especially and they earned treats with stamps etc.... Behaviour is not great but also not terrible it seems to be the case of if they can't be arsed then they will flunk out. Well that was my experience.

Our best friends have moved to Sydney both as teachers and are in a TOP boys schools (mega fees etc) but say it is no good at all, lots of political infighting , behaviour is poor and not a great place to work. So don't judge a book by its cover.

Anyway hope it all goes well for you all but be aware of the pit falls etc.

Who knows we may end up in same area somewhere some fellow brit teachers...

I've already registered with smart teachers and had interview with them but as I would prefer middle school teaching then it may be more tricky to get work. I'm also fully registered with Vic institute of teachers and NSW. The paperwork is a nightmare but you just gotta get loads of cert copies of transcripts and passports etc.

Cheers

Andy

We are in Staffordshire too at the moment :D I just joined the forum today - how do you get involved with the exchange scheme? Thanks

You speak to your head and get approval to apply, then get the forms etc from the commonwealth exchange council. It does cost about 500 when you are 'matched'. We sorted out a residency visa instead of the 2 year working visa you get if on exchange. Otherwise fairly straightforward.

Main issue is getting head etc to agree.

If you need any further help let me know.

Hi all

i received an email confirming my application is complete with AITSL and will be posted within 5 working days. Later I then received an email from SkillSelect to say i have a message in my inbox. But i haven't submitted an EOI so can't login- can anyone help explain either how i can see this message or whether it means good news from AITSL?

Hi Ben,

I am in the process of trying to register with NSW too, from what I've found I have to apply for the working with children in person but yet need that for the application for NSW, did you find any way around this for overseas teachers? I was hoping to be registered for when I fly out in September.

Thanks

Hi Alyson,

I have changed my plans slightly - I'm going to travel for a year first and get everything sorted in that year! It seems a bit of a faff to be honest...but it's the same here with the DBS as the manager needs to see the ID in person!!

Good luck with it all! Let us know how you get on!!

Ben

Gutted-aitsl said no, they say my pgce was employment based scitt, it was scitt but I was a registered full time student, their letter says I was employed by the school but I wasn't . I am ringing them tonight but does anyone have advice on any other route? All my family are in Oz and I want to join them!

Gutted-aitsl said no, they say my pgce was employment based scitt, it was scitt but I was a registered full time student, their letter says I was employed by the school but I wasn't . I am ringing them tonight but does anyone have advice on any other route? All my family are in Oz and I want to join them!

You will need to prove to them that you were primarily based at university and not at a school.

How much time did you spend at university? That's really the crucial question.

It makes no difference that you were registered as a full time student, what they are interested in is if your study was school based (on the job learning) or university based with the required number of supervised teaching days completed.

It's tough for sure, but that's the reality at the moment.

Guest Linda21

It's crazy, I had mines approved and it was a distance learning Flexi PGCE - involved usual school placements and all materials/assignments completed on line. We just had to attend 2 weekends in Uni!

It's crazy, I had mines approved and it was a distance learning Flexi PGCE - involved usual school placements and all materials/assignments completed on line. We just had to attend 2 weekends in Uni!

Perhaps because it was more theory based? That is the stumbling block for many. The PGCE must be university based, meaning theory together with school placements.

Long distance study makes no difference as external study in Australia is extremely common (and widely accepted) because of the nature of land and distance here.

There has to be a strong university component and that seems to be the issue for the OP.

Edited by Sammy1

Perhaps because it was more theory based? That is the stumbling block for many. The PGCE must be university based, meaning theory together with school placements.

Long distance study makes no difference as external study in Australia is extremely common (and widely accepted) because of the nature of land and distance here.

There has to be a strong university component and that seems to be the issue for the OP.

I rang last night and they basically said they surmised it was employment based because the letter from uni said I was at a 'base school'. They said that there is no other option for me unless I get another letter from Uni which has deifferent wording but even then they may not accept it based on what they already have. Does anyone know of other routes to a visa to teach that doesn't require AITSL? i was wondering about nomination by private schools.

I rang last night and they basically said they surmised it was employment based because the letter from uni said I was at a 'base school'. They said that there is no other option for me unless I get another letter from Uni which has deifferent wording but even then they may not accept it based on what they already have. Does anyone know of other routes to a visa to teach that doesn't require AITSL? i was wondering about nomination by private schools.

If you want to teach then you have to be approved by AITSL - that's it!

Guest james huddersfield
If you want to teach then you have to be approved by AITSL - that's it!

Quoll - you always seem to reply in either a negative or condescending manner. Do you have issues? This is a forum for people who require positive advice, not smart arsed comments, cheers

Quoll - you always seem to reply in either a negative or condescending manner. Do you have issues? This is a forum for people who require positive advice, not smart arsed comments, cheers

Thank you for saying this James, I am feeling down as it is & the negative sounding comment from Quoll is not helping. I am after useful advise!

You will need to prove to them that you were primarily based at university and not at a school.

How much time did you spend at university? That's really the crucial question.

It makes no difference that you were registered as a full time student, what they are interested in is if your study was school based (on the job learning) or university based with the required number of supervised teaching days completed.

It's tough for sure, but that's the reality at the moment.

My lectures were at Uni, assessed by Uni & supervised teaching practice in 3 schools for 1 academic year. I have emailed Uni to ask for a new letter & transcript. The problem is my Uni no longer exists & I am dealing with the one that swallowed it up. This means that not everything from 11 years ago is still available in the original format. I explained this to AITSL but they are adamant that regardless I need to provide this extra information.

What I suspect Quoll is trying to do is NOT give you false hope that there is a way around this. You require the same qualifications to teach in any school - unlike the UK.

I know you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, and I hope you can resolve it quickly.