Best Visa Option

greengo1888

Hi everyone!

I've been a member on here since first travelling Oz on a WHV, and have looked on enviously as others have applied for permanent visas and made the move down under.

Now I've decided to seriously make a go of it, but really not sure what's best way to do it.

Situation is I'm in a defacto relationship with my fiancee of 4 years, we have a 18 month son together and another one due in May. My current job is varied, I do youth work, fitness and management although the management has only been fairly recent. We live just outside Glasgow together and have done for 3 and a half years.

My partner is a hairdresser by trade but has no formal qualifications although is in the process of gaining them.

However she has an aunt that lives in Rockhampton and has done for a while. I'm not sure of her Aunts visa status although she has been there for what I guess must be at least 5 years +.

I did an online questionnaire through the Australian Migration Bureau and they suggested that a 190 or 489 State Visa may be appropriate. Having looked into them, both would seem applicable, but I'm very much unsure which would be best to go for.

I'd appreciate everyone's thoughts and views on my situation as it's fairly hard to get all pros and cons of each visa to weigh them up against each other.

Welcome to PIO

Family sponsorship will not be an option with your occupations.

I would suggest that you speak to a registered migration agent to get a full assessment of your case as with what you have stated - you could be eligible but may have trouble getting a positive skills assessment.

Going down either 190 or 489 would likely be based on how many points you hav, 190 nomination gives 5 points - 489 10 points. 190 is a PR visa, and always the better option, but if you cant get the 60 points 489 is a good option to be able to migrate.

Try Go Matilda - or Overseas Emigration, they are based in Edinburgh.

Any idea how much they charge for a consultation?

Some registered migration agents do not charge for an initial assessment, being disinclined to write - we regret to advise that you are stuffed - and here is the bill. For a fully detailed assessment you could expect to pay a fee to be quoted.

Some registered migration agents do not charge for an initial assessment, being disinclined to write - we regret to advise that you are stuffed - and here is the bill. For a fully detailed assessment you could expect to pay a fee to be quoted.

We used Go Matilda purely based on the fact how helpful they were in their initial consultation after seeing a lot of recommendations for them, which didn't cost anything. They were brilliant, we gave them all our details and they advised on what was the best option for us and also explained everything in detail to us, given we had not got a clue! We went on the 190. Good Luck

Archived