World Cup 2014 in Melbourne - Where to Watch??

I know this is me getting very excited, very early, but does anyone have any idea of who will be showing the World Cup in June? Im mainly interested in watching England matches, but wouldnt mind seeing a few of the smaller teams.

Im pretty sure SBS are covering, but I dont think you can beat the atmosphere of watching a good game with a group of fellow supporters!

Im based near Northcote so anywhere round that vicinity or in the city would be great.

Anyone else getting excited about watching it? Im so sick of AFL, cricket and tennis will be glad to watch some football :)

When I was in Melbourne in 2010 I watched a couple of WC matches at the Elephant and Wheelbarrow in St Kilda and the rest at home on TV. Charles Dickens in the CBD might show them though, I used to go there to watch EPL games from time to time. Hope this helps

Thanks the for recs guys. All good location ideas.

The first game is on at about 6am on a Saturday morning, but there are some on earlier and during the week. Hoping there enough mad fer it football fans in Melbourne to justify the silly opening times!

I used to do it with AFL games in the UK and always a fun atmosphere, might contact these pubs closer to the time to suss it out.

Last world cup we were in Kenya on safari and I had to get our driver to come and transfer us to another lodge that had a sat tv :) shame englands performance not worth the effort he went to for us

Ahhhh yes, this is the ongoing argument - is it really worth going to all the trouble when England can often be a massive let down!! I still go in with the same blind faith, every World Cup and Euro Cup!!!!

• 3 months later...

Hey daisyd,

There are two pubs in Melbourne CBD that are showing all World Cup matches live and have 24 hour licences - they are the Imperial Hotel on Bourke St and Portland Hotel on Russell St.

Also, The Local in Port Melbourne are specifically showing all England matches so if you would rather watch just those games that's always good too!

Hope that helps, there's heaps of other venues too that are showing matches too, including The Hawthorn, The Limerick, The Provincial and The Duke of Wellington. Best of luck!

I'm not having much luck fellow Poms!

turf bar said no (0700-0300 license)

celtic bar said can't be areas as it's england although they have a 24 hr license. Said mgr might 'open up' if there was enough intrrest

crown sports bar is an option although they don't serve beer at such an ungodly hour.

Any further ideas? 10 days remain!

Hi guys, just seen this post. Based in st kilda and have seen that the old George revival cinema on Fitzroy street is turning into a World Cup venue. There are posters going around and I know a few people who are going to be working there for it. By the Sounds of it it's a decent set up with themed rooms and most importantly somewhere definitely showing the games and definitely serving booze! We will all be heading down there for the first England game and see how it is.

apart from that in st .kilda most of the pubs are showing replays in the day but no others appear to be open for the live later games.

Edited by ali
link removed

I have been in contact with Zagames Caulfield.. They will be staying open for every live game and you will be able to get a few cheeky pints in.. They have 3 big projectors and will be doing food from 2am all the way through till the end of the last game.. I have been there before and have watched games with crowds over 200 people so they have a pretty good reputation..