18 members have voted

1. 1. pick my dog.

• Border Terrier
    • Springer Spaniel
    • Labrador
    • Collie
    • Staffordshire Bull Terrier
    • Whippet

Did I say a pit bull?! I said staffie. Yes they are brilliant with children if they are brought up with them. Same as any other dog. Shouldn't leave your kids alone with any dog

My dad's poodle (rescue) bit him and drew blood. I wouldn't take any rescue dog with kids, especially one that can kill them, but any dog bought as a pup from a good breeder should be as safe regardless of the breed.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spaniels and labs are the most natural swimmers out of the selection. Both will also keep running/swimming/playing all day as they are natural working dogs. Both intelligent and relatively easy to train. Lab is much easier to keep groomed, a spaniel has long soft hair which 'mats' very easily so will need much more grooming. If you go for a lab, chose a smaller one if it is to be around children a lot.

Collie will run all day (and all night, and all the next day) but much 'higher maintenance' than a lab or spaniel. Whippet - unlikely to be a swimmer. Staffie and border terrier - some swim but most aren't natural water babies.

I'm heavily biased towards labs, but agree that a cross breed may be your best bet. Labradoodle or spoodle gives a great option. Or Heinz 57 from the rescue. The staff will normally be able to find one that fits your needs.

but can they be trusted with kids ?

I don't like any of those pitbull type of dogs.

They are in no way related to a "pitbull" which are outlawed in most states now, but they can turn snappy and i agree would never trust then near kids or smaller dogs. They has a lost of weight in those big bones and muscles, and can do a lot of damage

Golden retriever :-)

Are now there is a fantasic dog ! Not as silly or as destructive in the sense of eating shoes, etc (in the early years as a lab) Loyal as, love to swim, can run for ever, Makes sure you check for hip displacier ( sorry cant spell) other thought is an Irish or English Setter

Edited by Tina2

They are in no way related to a "pitbull" which are outlawed in most states now, but they can turn snappy and i agree would never trust then near kids or smaller dogs. They has a lost of weight in those big bones and muscles, and can do a lot of damage

They look very similar to American pitbulls and have similar characteristics.

They may technically be a different breed, but if they look the same, they can't really be that different in nature I would say.

Those types of dogs are so strong in the jaws they have the potential to kill a small child if they decided to attack.

I was bitten on the neck as child by a Golden Retriever, so would not choose one of them either.