OZ car recommendations

Guest wardy

Holden Vectra is the same car as the Vauxhall vectra its rebadged for Aus.( built in europe) Nice car, but a little small for here you need the leg, room, head room, shoulder room to have your own space in the car, especially on long runs. Children growing in Aus seem to grow bigger my son is 16yrs old & almost 6 ft tall already. He has no trouble riding in the back seat, he has the leg & head room he needs in our car. Because of the heat its nice if your not touching the person sat next to you. You feel more comfortable & cooler.

Suppose that's the cost of the luxury. 5.7L though must be like S$$T off a shovel.

Must say I do like the look of those Commodores though but a bit costly to purchase.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Sheerluck

Macdonaldo67,

Holden Vectra = vauxhall vectra. It's just rebadged for the local market, as it is rebadged Opel for Europe.

Dave

Bluzee,

Turning personal just because I dare "diss" the local cars? Not funny my friend.

Guest bluzee

Drives very well & can go fast if you want it too. It is also very stylish. Don't compare $ to pounds if you do it does sound expensive ( ours cost $50,000.00 exchange that to pounds approx 22700.00 ) In the Uk that is alot of money for a car I agree, but over here the cost was no worries. But I would not buy a car more than 5 years old here anyway no mater what make or model. Up to 5 years old you can get some good bargains. Check out carsales.com.au

Guest Sheerluck

In terms of reliability, I know which car I'd rather have. On Product Recalls Australia - Main page there are 22 recalls listed for Commodores and 91 for Holden overall. By comparison the Santa Fe has 2 recalls, one of which was for the compliance plate not being stamped correctly.

The Sydney Morning Herald has this to say: "With 22 recalls in nine years, the previous-generation Commodore is Australia's most-recalled car. The previous Commodore was also recalled for a potential fuel leak and fire hazard in 2000." Have a look here: Fuel leak risk drives Holden recall - National - smh.com.au

No wonder local garages have good availability of parts, they know they're on to a winner!

But hey. At least it's got a big engine.

So my "pommy attitude" equals me wanting a reliable car with reasonable fuel consumption.

Right that's it enough the two of you ! :policeman:

I'm having a job comprehending giving up the family BMW's here in Britain, which is all I've driven for that last 12 years and accept driving something I don't want to and you two are fighting over a Santa Fe and a Holden Commodore.

No stop it or.. or.. I'l take the bloody cars off you. :swoon:

:biglaugh::biglaugh:

Guest Sheerluck

Macdonaldo67,

No need dad! I would suggest that you do hell of a lot of reading up before you commit to anything though. If you're used to just BMWs, then you will struggle to find anything of a comparable quality over here.

In my opinion the local Fords and Holdens just don't cut it, if you want reliable buy Japanese - Honda/Toyota (or Lexus)

Dave

Macdonaldo67,

No need dad! I would suggest that you do hell of a lot of reading up before you commit to anything though. If you're used to just BMWs, then you will struggle to find anything of a comparable quality over here.

In my opinion the local Fords and Holdens just don't cut it, if you want reliable buy Japanese - Honda/Toyota (or Lexus)

Dave

Thanks for the tip. Was contemplating a Ford Focus but I've heard a lot of people reporting good things with the Jap cars, Toyota, Mitsubishi and of course Toyota.

Thought Lexus would be as dear as BM. Will have to look at that.

Wouldn't be able to afford a BM in Oz anyway.:cry:

Guest John Sydney

Holden and falcons are good buys to start with cheap to buy second hand if you look around. Also the Governments off load them at 40k still with the balance of the factory warranty You can go to the newspaper sites and pull up drive and see the value of cars in each state

I would stay away from European cars unless your going to stay in the main cities due to lack of dealers and servicing is very high. Resale value is not good either

cannot comment on 4x4's

It is a real shame that Oz doesn't have the wide choice of cars that we have in the UK, even though 1 million new cars were bought in Australia last year!!

In the UK, we have/tend to buy more European influenced cars. For instance the Mazda 3 is a big seller here, but very rare in the UK. If you go to Auto Express - New & Used Car Reviews and News, they only get an average review and the Ford Focus trounces the car on every level.

My next car in the UK would have been a BMW 5 535d, but they don't even sell the model here. Diesels are somewhat lagging here, even though they are on par or even better than the petrol equivalent.

VW seem to be getting more and more respect and is possibly is the 'cheapest' of the European range of cars. The Golf is head and shoulders above the Corollas, Mazda 3s, Lancers (apart from Evo's), Nissan etc. You can read European car mags and in terms of safety, the European cars are again safer, better handling, better dynamics, better chassis, better steering. Out of the Jap and Korean branded cars, the only brand I would even consider would be Honda.

Fords are Fords here and are cheap as chips, just as in the UK (I would only go for the Focus and possibly the new Mondeo). Vauxhalls, sorry Holden are again cheap and you get what you pay for. I suppose it's a fleet thing here as well as a UK thing, hence you see loads on the roads.

One thing for sure, I will not pay $30k for a 8 year old BMW 320i saloon, wheres you would pay like for like $15k in the UK! Good luck, read and research the cars before you buy!

Guest Petra & Dave

just for the record vauxhall/opel/holden are all part of the american giant general motors , the big holdens with the V8's are american chevy units which are very reliable , they go on for ever , doing my research I would say considering the state of some roads in OZ out side the main citys are large robust car is needed and a large engine will be better because it will run the air con and the extra's easier than a smaller engine and dont forget because the smaller engine will be working harder it will use more fuel, not just that a V8 will sound great and will be lot more torquey than a 2.0ltr 4 pot, being a petrol head Ive had 3 american v8 powered cars over here in the UK and love the. Sod the fuel just listen to that engine :notworthy: and stop thinking British and think Aussie :cool::biglaugh:

hi the santa fe is a good choice i was testing one the other day the diesel engine is really good this is the future of ozzy motoring. I bought a mazda 2.5tdcr and had it under 7/100kms, half what the ozzy cars do, all the commadors are being changed as they are not enviromently friendly, i think they are being changed to the same system as the santa fe cr diesel next year, so its the way to go with rapidly rising fuel prices ,ozzy cars are good for parts but they cost you a fortune to run, i would prefer to spend money on me insted of putting it in the tank.

Gary

Guest John Sydney

Just for the record I drive a Holden Caprice V8 (6.0L) Auto. Its a big car goes like the clappers and cheap to run and the most important thing its comfortable. On Interstate runs it averages 30 mpg In town depending on traffic 15 to 20 mpg Services are under $200 I trade my day to day car in about every 3 years because I like having a new car. running at 110kph is only doing 1500 rpm from new generally speaking I may have to change the brake pads and tires at 50k's depending on how I driven it. Nothing else needs doing. Insurance runs $900 for Sydney per year

NB Holden is part of GM. Statesman + Caprices are sold in the M.E. as Chevrolet and in the UK the commodore's are sold as Vauxhalls

Guest Petra & Dave

Buy buying imports your undermining the aussie home car industry , yes it may need to modernize but going to jap motors isn't helping , just look at the UK is this what you want in OZ because it will happen, its the reason why the aussie government puts high import tax on foreign goods , its protects jobs and Australia. as I said stop thinking British and think Australian and the reasons you want/went in the first place , I ave worked on the motor industry for 28yrs and quite commonly get called the scum of the earth because I get my hands dirty , I could get on my soap box here but won't

Guest bluzee

Do your maths before you try & be smart..if this is all you can come up with after a day surfing the net then its pretty poor. as a percentage santa fe recall is actually higher than the commodore why ? Well I'll explain . Commodore has been around since 1984 approx as apposed to your Santa fe which has been around since 2002. Also the commodore is the top selling car in Aus selling 8 out of 10 cars as apposed to santa fe which probably sell 1 in a 10000. I can see why you bought the santa fe no one has ever bought it for its looks, with bullbous headlights, strangley "warped" front wings and nasty black bumpers the ugliest off roader on the market ( but yours is a city car never been off road) you bought it becasue you know very little about cars !!! goodbye 'badluck'

Bluzee can you please stop with the nasty comments ,sheerluck is giving his experience of the vehicle ,who cares if he isnt keeping up with the jonseys in their 'top of the range' commodores,they arent for everyone ,not all of us want a big daft fuel machines theres no need for nasty comments.

thankyou

Cal x

Guest bluzee

Go the Aussie car ! We wouldn't buy jap crap. I bet the guys buying them import there veggies, meat, mushy peas & underwear from England saying we can't find them here. We hear it all the time, I can't find them here. When in Aus you know ! Do as the Aussie do. Get of your arse & find what you want. Do a little leg work & stop whinging. The guys building the Aussie cars are sheer geniuses not scum.

keep up the good work.

Guest Sheerluck
Do your maths before you try & be smart..if this is all you can come up with after a day surfing the net then its pretty poor. as a percentage santa fe recall is actually higher than the commodore why ? Well I'll explain . Commodore has been around since 1984 approx as apposed to your Santa fe which has been around since 2002. Also the commodore is the top selling car in Aus selling 8 out of 10 cars as apposed to santa fe which probably sell 1 in a 10000. I can see why you bought the santa fe no one has ever bought it for its looks, with bullbous headlights, strangley "warped" front wings and nasty black bumpers the ugliest off roader on the market ( but yours is a city car never been off road) you bought it becasue you know very little about cars !!! goodbye 'badluck'

I had to laugh after reading your very strange diatribe above. Factually it is SO incorrect.

Firstly the Holden Commodore has been around since 1978.

The Santa Fe been around since 2001.

Couldn't care about relative sales figures. I buy what I want not what everyone else is having.

Looks don't matter. I'm sitting in the front seat looking out.

City car? No. It has been off road 5 times so far in the 8 weeks we've had it. It's capable off road without being spectacular.

Know nothing about cars? Wrong. Having spent several years working for a group of car dealers, and time after that working for a supplier to some of the big car firms such as Jaguar and Land Rover. I've driven or owned every brand of car except some of the exotics (Ferrari, Lambo, Rolls, Bentley). I've built two cars, and helped with my friend's V8 off-road racer.

I wouldn't expect you to know any of that though, as the petrol fumes have probably rotted your brain.

Guest bluzee

sheerluck was knocking the Australian car industry, not commenting on his santa fe. Point one I wasn't the one who threw the 1st nasty comment, point two I'm not a joneses & point three everyone wants luxury not everyone has it, Luxury is not daft its looking after yourself & your family.

Guest bluzee

!978 well that makes commodore even better. Telling me about your work history means nothing to me. Stick to your Santa fe its the car for people like you. So I guess you've parked on the verge 5 times wow I'm impressed NOT. Go sell another foreign car to some donkey." Keep Australia Australia !"

Guest KilleyClan

hi ppl

Anyone know what the kia is like over there?

we are planning to come oct 2010 (once we have application done and have put some money together!)

anyway we will have a 2 yr old, 5 yr old, 10 and 13 yr old. obviously we will need a big car currently have a ford galaxy but i have looked on ozzie site and can't find any or what looks equivalent.

does anyone have any recommendations on the best 7 seater to get please?

Thanks

Emma

Guest bluzee

The equivallent to the ford galaxy is the ford territory here.

Buy the Santa fe if you don't want to keep up with the jonses, by all accounts its not a very good car.

Well I've been following this post with great interest because i was curious as to what other cars people were driving over here.

I wanted to say that I bought my Falcon because:

1. It was Australian. Rightly or wrongly I wanted an Australian car. I presumed the car would be built for the the Oz roads and the Oz climate.

2. It totally suited my needs. It's not the flashiest looking vehicle on the road but I love the room it gives me inside. It's a pleasure to drive.

We've already covered thousands of kms in it and have found it quite economical on long runs. Even with the a/c on for most of the time.

I might end up eating my words here but so far i have no complaints with buying Australian.

Regards

Debs x x

Archived