OZ car recommendations

Guest wardy

Guest wardy

Well I thought I would get started on looking into what we need on the otherside, hopefully we have a rental sorted so next is a car.

In this country I drive a Citreon xsara picasso and I love my little tank.

What I need is a car for 4/5 adults good boot space for cricket and football and of course trips away.

What can you recommend don't want to spend silly money, but want a decent enough car, economical etc. My dad lived in the dessert and swore by mazda's has anyone got any ideas so we can go looking when we arrive.

I have done a search on PIO, but can only find general things regarding cars, so need some suggestions on makes and models.

So what do you drive?

Thanks

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hiya

I have a Falcon Stationwagon. I picked it mainly for the huge boot area. It's also not difficult to get servicing and spares for it.

I needed a large boot to transport the dog around in.

It was a bit pricey and we spent more than I wanted to at the time but it is only 3 years old. Hopefully it will last quite a few years. it was also more expensive because it had quite low mileage on it as well.

Bit thirsty on the petrol though, as it's a 4 litre engine. This does give it that little bit of oomph to get you out of trouble should the need arise :)

Which it has done on a couple of occasions.

I love it though. In the UK I drove a Peugeot 406 and it drives very similar to that.

The only difference being it's an automatic. I found manual cars a bit thin on the ground here.

Regards

Debs x x

Guest the terry's

Hi Wardy,

We too have been looking at Ozzy cars. I currently drive a Toyota Avensis Verso T-Spirit D4D (Diesel)

and it has 7 seats. I was glad to see the they have a similar car to ours over there and about for the same price as we are going to sell ours we could get a decent second hand one over there, so I'm really happy. We've had our car for nearly 4 years now and have never had any problems with it so I would definately recommend it. Good luck in your quest.

Helenx

Guest Sheerluck

We've got a Hyundai Santa Fe CRTDi 4x4 here. It's 7 seater as well, has a pretty big boot and seems to cope pretty well with the dodgy road surfaces.

It uses bugger all fuel compared to the Ford Territory (4.0 litre!) I had for 4 months or so when I first arrived, drives better and feels more solid.

You really don't want anything fragile here, no little 2 seater sports cars, as the roads are pretty bad.

Mazdas have a good reputation as do Toyotas. The locally built Fords and Holdens - everyone seems to get VERY nervous of them once they get past 100,000kms or 4 years old.

Guest leanneandmark

We thought we might down size from 4x4's and get a brand new car...been looking at mitsubishi lancer the one we wanted was 5k cheaper there than in the uk!!!!:chatterbox:

Guest Sheerluck
We thought we might down size from 4x4's and get a brand new car...been looking at mitsubishi lancer the one we wanted was 5k cheaper there than in the uk!!!!:chatterbox:

Leanneandmark,

When you look at new car prices compared to used, the used prices instantly look a rip off don't they!

My Santa Fe costs $43000 here (£19500) compared to £26000 in the UK. The only difference in specification is mine doesn't have Sat-Nav built in. Who cares! For £6000 I'll buy a map! :wideeyed:

Guest dwaldron

Get a Commodore or a Falcon, especially if you plan long distance driving as if you breakdown in the middle of nowhere you will have no trouble getting parts. Immediately convert it to LPG (61c/litre) as there is a government rebate of $2,000 at the moment so (as in my case) your LPG conversion can cost $299 and you are saving on fuel costs after 6 weeks.

Happy motoring, I love my 2003 VY Commodore that I bought last year for $12,000. I have driven it from Adelaide to Tennant Creek, across to Brisbane and then down to Melbourne, and I took the long way. It's never missed a beat and has been getting less than 8L/100km country driving.

Before I had my company car (in the UK) we had a Honda CRV (old shape) and it was a great car. Very reliable, comforable and loads of space. Lots of rear legroom as well. When we get Oz-side we plan to get another one of them (maybe 2 eventually). They are high up, so I am sure they can handle the roads and they are probably quite cheap too.

WB

Guest wardy

This is great its really given me some ideas.

Is there anything that we should avoid like the plague.

Great tip about converting to LPG is that fuel easy to get hold off or is it a bit more tricky like here.

Leanne we bought a lancer when we arrived,it was 5 mth old so had lost its new value but still had warranty,it was $17,000 but that was nearly 18mth ago..it uses next to no fuel and she does get abused,it hasnt put a foot out of place(and if breaks down tomorrow illl kill you,lol) and is really easy to drive.

Cal x

We have got a Mitsubishi Outlander and have been very pleased with it. In the UK we had a Mercedes ML and to be honest we are just as happy with the Outlander. It is economical, big enough for the 5 of us and has plenty of room in the boot. (They also do a 7 seater).

Hope this helps

Deb xx

We had an BMW X5 and a M3 as well. They cost a bloody fortune here, with the rest of European cars here too.

The difference in price for an equivalent new X5 is approx $10,000 - $15,000 more in OZ. Looks like I'm stuffed then!

Guest Sheerluck
We had an BMW X5 and a M3 as well. They cost a bloody fortune here, with the rest of European cars here too.

The difference in price for an equivalent new X5 is approx $10,000 - $15,000 more in OZ. Looks like I'm stuffed then!

Yes, top end European cars are ridiculously priced here. It does make me laugh that Citroen and Renault are marketed as "premium" brands here. Sure, they're OK, but premium? No!

Guest dwaldron

LPG is everywhere here, every other service station has it, and you can switch back to petrol if for some reason you run out.

Guest leanneandmark
Leanne we bought a lancer when we arrived,it was 5 mth old so had lost its new value but still had warranty,it was $17,000 but that was nearly 18mth ago..it uses next to no fuel and she does get abused,it hasnt put a foot out of place(and if breaks down tomorrow illl kill you,lol) and is really easy to drive.

Cal x

:biglaugh: Don't blame me Cal!!

Which Lancer did you get? we were looking at the VRX ( I THINK??) All sporty etc but i think it was $28k. :swoon: Hopin we can pick one up cheaper.

Guest bluzee

people.. there is a reason the Aussies make the Holden & Falcon (ford) cars....they perform the best in the conditions Australia presents. They are economical, reliable, have the best air con systems & are generally the best for here. We have a V8 5.7 ltre commodore, before you say thats going to cost a lot to run with that size engine let me tell you it uses less fuel than the smaller commodore we had before which was a V6 & because of the size of the engine it will last alot longer as it only ticks over & never gets stressed even on those 40C+ days, doing a long drive, doing around 11ltrs/100kms.We are very happy with it & being holden you'll have no trouble with parts or servicing & the comfort factor is second to NONE!

people.. there is a reason the Aussies make the Holden & Falcon (ford) cars....they perform the best in the conditions Australia presents. They are economical, reliable, have the best air con systems & are generally the best for here. We have a V8 5.7 ltre commodore, before you say thats going to cost a lot to run with that size engine let me tell you it uses less fuel than the smaller commodore we had before which was a V6 & because of the size of the engine it will last alot longer as it only ticks over & never gets stressed even on those 40C+ days, doing a long drive, doing around 11ltrs/100kms.We are very happy with it & being holden you'll have no trouble with parts or servicing & the comfort factor is second to NONE!

Just looking on the net at those Holdens and they look good but the size of the engines.

3.8, 5.7, 6 litres. Blimey must have some pull on them.

But what miles to the gallon due you get from them and how reliable are they? What cars do they compare to (like BMW/Audi for example) and what cost is the insurance?

Guest Sheerluck

I'm sorry Bluzee, but I couldn't help but laugh as I read your post, at the part you mention that the Commodore does 11l/100km. (For those of you in the UK, that's around 25mpg) I'm guessing that around town, your Commodore does 16l/100km (17mpg and diving) or more. I don't think that that could ever be described as economical!

My Santa Fe will do 7.5l/100km (37mpg) on a good run, or 10l/100km (29mpg) around town. And as I'm near a major city, there's no problem with parts.

Dave

Guest bluzee

That was around town driving & I have to laugh when you say a santa fe...sorry but how useful are these vehicles in such a climate as oz..and if you were driving out into the country I hope you don't break down..you wouldn't get it fixed as no one knows these vehicle & parts have to be imported ( at your cost) & only milk & orange juice comes in 2ltrs

Guest bluzee

They do around town about 25mpg on long hauls they are far more economical, insurance wise it cost us $640.00 per year fully comp protected. Comfort wise they are the best, they are pure luxury the seats just mould to you. A Bmw is a smaller car but has the luxury of the commadores/ falcons. They are alot more spacious inside rather like the Jaguar uk car. My son is 6ft tall & has plenty of leg room in the back seats. Price wise I think they compare to imports. The thing with imports is the servicing & parts they cost more. My sister drives a ford mondeo it uses more petrol than our car, don't forget the air con is on pretty much all the time your in your vehicle. I use a tank a week which cost me $75.00 to fill. my sister fills hers up half way through the week using around $85-90 a week doing the same amount of kms. Most cars here are automatic (8 out of 10) ours is manual, so it does depend how you drive your car. The mondeo is an import here.

Guest Sheerluck

Do I know how useful a Santa Fe is in OZ? Clearly YES as I've got one! And if it breaks down there are people who know them.

The strange attitude here towards the local vehicles designed using methods reminiscent of the Industrial Revolution, and built using Blue Peter style materials is amazing. I had a Falcon and a Territory for a few months when we first got here and hated them. I thought the quality of build and drive was terrible, and the thirst incredible.

No wonder people complain about the slightest increase in fuel prices.

Guest bluzee

first of all when you first got her the cars you bought must have been second hand, I guess your santa fe is a new car so you can't compare the build & luxury or economy. Ours is brand new & the luxury is top notch. If you were a true blue then you'd know a good car , obviously you have trouble from getting out of your pommy attitude. As for economical its what you can afford & we can afford the big luxury V8. Plus going on a drive 2 teenage kids & 2 adults we have plenty of leg room, arm room & head room, we don't get out of our car thinking we've been driving for weeks. All our bodily parts are still functioning & have circulation. A santa fe is an around town car, good for shopping & school runs.

As for a blue peter style build...ha ! you make me laugh a hyundai santa fe built by who !!! ( small people building a small car for small people with an identity problem trying to be big with a "mexican" name), sheet metal used is on par with coke cans. After 2 years old the engine will be all rattle & knocks & the body will be rusting.

Guest bluzee

Holden Vectra is the same car as the Vauxhall vectra its rebadged for Aus.( built in europe) Nice car, but a little small for here you need the leg, room, head room, shoulder room to have your own space in the car, especially on long runs. Children growing in Aus seem to grow bigger my son is 16yrs old & almost 6 ft tall already. He has no trouble riding in the back seat, he has the leg & head room he needs in our car. Because of the heat its nice if your not touching the person sat next to you. You feel more comfortable & cooler.

Archived