Trade Skill Assessment Carpenter Joiner

shellyk666

Hey Shelley, you said your doing your apllication by yourself without an agent? I have/am aswell, would you mind keep contact maybe via private mail to discuss our applications as we are at a similar stage and reckon we could help each other?

Ive just got mine cert this morning.. ILL send you a pic private mail if you like, its not a certIII carpentry like someone above suggested though.

Hey, hubby got confirmation of his successful skill assessment in the post this morning and enclosed was also a Certificate III in Joinery. As you didn't get one I assume it must be different for a joiner and a carpenter - strange, but pleased that he's now got an actual Australian qualification :) Yey!

• 1 month later...

Hi there, sorry to jump on an older thread. Just wondering if you sent off to vetassess letters from suppliers, third party declaration, and also a letter from an accountant? We have got names and numbers of references but it says we need all the other things also. Also did you send off inthe mail your documents or did you upload them? Sorry for all the questions! Well done on getting through!!

Regards rose

Hi there, sorry to jump on an older thread. Just wondering if you sent off to vetassess letters from suppliers, third party declaration, and also a letter from an accountant? We have got names and numbers of references but it says we need all the other things also. Also did you send off inthe mail your documents or did you upload them? Sorry for all the questions! Well done on getting through!!

Regards rose

Hi Rose,

Is your occupation a joiner? Although the principles are the same I understand the requirements can be different dependent upon the occupation. My hubby was a sub-contractor for many years and was then employed for the last couple which is slightly different than self employed.

Yes you need to include written references from as many employers as possible and then do a statutory declaration for any periods you're unable to cover. When it asks for 'references' it doesn't just mean names and numbers. Have a good look through all the information on the Vetassess website as there is confirmation of everything the references have to include (such as that it was full time hours, the pay rate, tools used, work undertaken, start and finish date etc, plus it needs to be on headed paper with the persons position and telephone number). My husband didn't have an accountant (I did all his self assessment tax returns myself) but if you have one I'd suggest you get something from them. You should also show evidence of receiving payment (i.e. pay slips, CIS statements, bank statements and/or invoices).

As ours is a trade occupation, although we submitted and paid online, we didn't have the option of uploading the evidence online, everything had to be sent in the post! We used Parcelforce.

I hope that helps, good luck x

• 1 month later...

So sorry with the late reply! Just to say thanks for replying. We have got most of it all up together now just need another reference from client, tax returns and to get it all signed by a solicitor. It's taking ages!! Mostly because we look at it and think there is so much to do and don't know where to start, so we don't start! Getting there slowly.

Thanks again. X

So sorry with the late reply! Just to say thanks for replying. We have got most of it all up together now just need another reference from client, tax returns and to get it all signed by a solicitor. It's taking ages!! Mostly because we look at it and think there is so much to do and don't know where to start, so we don't start! Getting there slowly.

Thanks again. X

It is all quite daunting to begin with isn't it! But once you've got your head around everything required it's a good start. I found it helped having a big checklist and ticking things off as I went along then I kept everything together in a folder. I was so worried that I missed something but it all turned out ok in the end.

Good luck, and if there's anything else you need help with there's always someone around to chip in x

• 5 years later...
  • 1 month later...
On 08/09/2019 at 20:20, Tiago Oliver said:

Hi Guys,

Thanks everyone for all the information.

Has anyone done the carpenter technical interview recently?

If yes can you send some tips and advices ?

Thanks a lot.

Waiting for a date for the interview and then can get back to you with advice and tips.

I just got notice my stage one assessment was a success as a carpenter. I had a complicated work history full of self-employment endeavors mixed in with employed work. I had to make more than one self-declaration statement to explain gaps in work. Overall, the paperwork stretched out to about four months before I applied last week. I was pretty nervous but it only took seven days to hear back with the good news! I ended up not needing a letter from an accountant. I explained I didn't have one and do my accounting myself, which is true. Also had lots of taxes, bank statements, invoices and stubs to back this up. I went around collecting a lot of reference letters, including the supplier references. This ended up being close to a dozen brief letters but they were very necessary for my situation. Chances are, most applicants don't need that many.

Edited by nomadiccarpenter

• 5 months later...
On 08/09/2019 at 21:20, Tiago Oliver said:

Hi Guys,

Thanks everyone for all the information.

Has anyone done the carpenter technical interview recently?

If yes can you send some tips and advices ?

Thanks a lot.

I finished mine November 13, 2020. Don't know if you're still curious.

• 4 weeks later...

Heyo, I'm a carpenter and recently was invited to apply for NSW 190 Feb 5, 2020. I used the Down Under Center from London and I'm a commercial steel framer by trade from Canada, so if you've got any questions feel free to ask!