Trade Skill Assessment Carpenter Joiner

shellyk666

Hi

I'm reading through the information available on the Vetassess website regarding the Skill Assessment (the Training and Employment part). I can see from the Evidence Guide that we need to complete a 'Cover Sheet' listing the Units of Competencies (that I have found in the Joiner Fact Sheet) and indicate which pieces of evidence support each unit. I assume that means I will need to list all 30 Units included in the Fact Sheet?? It also suggests we need 2 pieces of evidence for each unit!

Does anyone know what happens if you don't have evidence of 1 of the 30 units? We're considering applying as a joiner but my husband has never used a CNC machine, he's fine with the rest.

Do you think this would be a problem? Do you think they could fail his skill assessment because of this? Feeling a bit worried now!

Many thanks

• 1 month later...
Hi

I'm reading through the information available on the Vetassess website regarding the Skill Assessment (the Training and Employment part). I can see from the Evidence Guide that we need to complete a 'Cover Sheet' listing the Units of Competencies (that I have found in the Joiner Fact Sheet) and indicate which pieces of evidence support each unit. I assume that means I will need to list all 30 Units included in the Fact Sheet?? It also suggests we need 2 pieces of evidence for each unit!

Does anyone know what happens if you don't have evidence of 1 of the 30 units? We're considering applying as a joiner but my husband has never used a CNC machine, he's fine with the rest.

Do you think this would be a problem? Do you think they could fail his skill assessment because of this? Feeling a bit worried now!

Many thanks

Hi Shelly,

We recently applied to Vetassess for a Carpenter skill assessment, we have passed the first stage and now just waiting for a technical interview date (been waiting 2 weeks now!)

I typed up the competencies for carpenter, I copied the example on the website and then just ticked what evidence i had supplied, i.e. Health & Safety I ticked Resume, Qualifications, Certificates

I then put post-its on each document and wrote which compentencies the document related to.

I had more than 2 pieces of evidence for some competencies and only 1 for others but passed the first part no problem...fingers crossed for the next part!

There were some things listed on the TRA trade set which James had never done and we still passed that part.

To be honest, I have emailled them a few times and they have got back to me quickly so maybe worth sending them an email and asking?

Good Luck, let me know how you get on!

Nat&James

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I had posted another thread on Friday about TradeSET and have been worrying myself about it since! My hubby answered 'No' to one of the questions in it that was labelled as 'mandatory' and now I'm worrying that his skill assessment will automatically be refused. He's been a joiner/carpenter for 20 years and doesn't know a single one that uses computer operated machinery. So was this the situation for you as well then? Did James actually answer 'No' to some question in TradeSET but still pass the first part?

I sent all our evidence off on Friday. I didn't note which competency each piece of evidence related to, I hope it'll be ok! I'm pretty sure we've covered everything though. I did email them on Thursday night as like you said they have always got back to me quickly but haven't had a reply yet.

I had kind of assumed that you'd get a date of a technical interview pretty quickly, you'll have to let me know when you are given one.

Where abouts are you hoping to move to?

Thanks again

Hi Shelly

I've just looked back on our original trade set and James said no to one of the mandatory skills- explosive power tools as we were unsure what it was and also no to a few of the elective skills. I'm sure I read somewhere that you had to answer yes to 90% but I could be wrong an can't find where I read it now either!

Anyway, James said no to one of them and still passed the first stage so fingers crossed we pass the second!

I emailed on Friday to ask about the technical date and got a automated reply to say it is a public holiday so no reply until Tuesday.

We're hoping to go to Perth, I have family over there.

When and where are you planning to go?

x

Hi Shelly

I've just looked back on our original trade set and James said no to one of the mandatory skills- explosive power tools as we were unsure what it was and also no to a few of the elective skills. I'm sure I read somewhere that you had to answer yes to 90% but I could be wrong an can't find where I read it now either!

Anyway, James said no to one of them and still passed the first stage so fingers crossed we pass the second!

I emailed on Friday to ask about the technical date and got a automated reply to say it is a public holiday so no reply until Tuesday.

We're hoping to go to Perth, I have family over there.

When and where are you planning to go?

x

I am sooooooo relieved to read that James answered 'No' to a mandatory question in TradeSET and still passed the first part! I was completely panicking that they were going to refuse it outright. I have read on the Victoria Uni website that you have to provide evidence for 80% which is why we submitted it with a 'No' in the first place, I haven't found anything similar on Vetassess but surely the rules must be the same as they both do the skill assessment for Joiner/Carpenter. I then thought about it too much and convinced myself that as it's a mandatory question the answer would have to be yes to all of them but then they only require actual evidence of 80% - if that makes sense! I know I'm going to begin worrying that the evidence isn't enough now lol I sent them another email this morning knowing that it was a public holiday in Melbourne today (Labour Day) but hoping for a response in the morning. I'm so worried and inpatient I was also going to stay up later this evening and phone them as well but I don't think I'll bother now. Thank you so much for having a look for me :wubclub:

We're off to perth too! My sister and her family moved over only last week lol Providing everything goes to plan we've decided we want to go asap, maybe around September if at all possible so that my daughter doesn't have to start school here only to have to go back to nursery/Kindy when we get there. Our daughter is currently 3 and our son is 6. Have you got children? When are you hoping to make the move?

Glad I could help! It must have been Vic uni where I seen the 80% but then we decided to go with vetassess. We've applied for carpenter. Yep he said no to "explosive power tools" whatever they are? Just praying the technical interview is ok! Still waiting for a date! If it will put you at ease you can always give them a ring, there in Melbourne aren't they so will be open soon....

Have you been to Perth before? Where does your sister live?

We're planning to be there for Christmas, hoping to leave the UK July to do some travelling around Asia and NZ. No kids yet, but I have young cousins in Perth (ages 3 & 10).

what visa are you applying for?

x

We thought about going through Vic Uni but plumped for Vetassess in the end. Don't quote me on it but I think 'explosive power tools' include nail guns (they have an explosive cartridge that fires the nails out)?? My hubby would much rather do a practical assessment but considering there aren't any more dates available we don't want to wait around so he'll have to do the technical interview. He's much happier showing someone what he can do than talking about it under interview conditions! Oh well, needs must. He needs to retake his IELTS as well. He needs 7s but didn't quite manage it for listening (at least it's not just me he doesn't listen to lol) and reading. Going to book him in for early April.

We're going for the 189 visa, a skilled independent. We were going to get WA State nomination for the extra 5 points but the new requirement of a 12 months job contract means there's no chance. After looking into it it doesn't look like we need he extra points anyway providing he can get 7s for IELTS.

We've never visited Perth before, decided we want to give it a go anyway before we get too old and regret never venturing anywhere (hubby is 36 and I'm 33). Travelling around Asia and NZ for a few months sounds amazing, I don't blame you for taking advantage of the move without children in tow!

We'll have to keep in touch, I've PM'd you x

Just got your PM, definately keep in touch.

Did you ring Vetassess in the end? They have now released dates for Practical for May / June but I was reading in the Australia Magazine that Carpenter may be taken off the SOL! So want to get our visa lodged as soon as possible.

The IELTS is a nightmare! James re-sat the IELTS on Saturday, so just waiting for the results now- he didn't think it went very well so if he hasn't got 7s we will be applying for 489 family sponsored and get the extra 10 points that way. We are borderline for points because we went travelling for 2 and a half years and are 26 & 27 so just have 5 years work experience in UK because the 3 years as an apprentice dont count.

We spent 2 years in Australia on a WHV, can't wait to go back. My mum has also lodged a 489 visa had medicals done etc so just waiting to hear now...

Let me know when you hear from Vetassess, hopefully we get a date soon too! x

I didn't call but sent an email. I got not 1 but 2 replies, the first saying to wait and see what the assessor says as they may not consider it critical to the application, the second says they'll refer my question to an assessor who will be in touch soon. I don't feel as worried now.

im considering using a tutor for a couple of hours in preparation for IELTS, it's more about technique in my opinion, especially the reading and writing. Michael hasn't had to do anything like it since his school days and I imagine that the majority of tradies are the same.

Its lovely that your mum is doing it at the same time, we're hoping that my mum will consider if in a couple of years once they're retired. She's got a flight booked to go over to visit for 3 weeks in January, fingers crossed they love it!

Are u using an agent? We decided to do it ourselves after seeing my sister shell out a fortune for an agent for what didn't appear to bd very much work.

one thing I was wondering about is whether, following a positive skill assessment you can claim off having an Australian qualification?? I assume not though.

how long did the first part of your skill assessment take??

• 3 weeks later...

Good evening,

Fantastic information just from both of your replies!

A few questions I have myself. I have just received an email, having lodged my application and having my Training and Employment Check "Successful", saying I will need to take a technical or practical exam. I have read a few other forums/websites and there is no real answer with regards to which is best. I don't really mind so am thinking the Technical interview will be my way.

I have also already taken a IELTs exam, my results for the listening section were... lets say, not surprising. 6.5. I have read this is not enough.

Once I've done the interview and fingers crossed got a pass. What happens then?

Sorry to drag this out!

Hope you, or anyone else can help!!

Thankyou very much!

JR.

Guest GarySawers

Hey everyone, I recently migrated to Oz on a permanent residency visa through the carpentry test.

I would recommend the practical assessment as it really was a breeze, as long as you scrub up on roofs ( I built one in the back garden aswell as went to my old college for some tips) read a few Australian Carpentry books you should be fine! Read loads on formwork(shuttering) there lots of questions about this.

Another tip is get studying for IELTS now, get a tutor, get writing, reading practicing as soon as you can! The reason for this is state sponsorship really has tightened up, I think I made it by three days! So to avoid this and get the extra points from IELTS most people require you need to get straight 8's!?!?!? Easier said than done!

Any questions you guys have just message me, happy to help!

Gaz

Good evening,

Fantastic information just from both of your replies!

A few questions I have myself. I have just received an email, having lodged my application and having my Training and Employment Check "Successful", saying I will need to take a technical or practical exam. I have read a few other forums/websites and there is no real answer with regards to which is best. I don't really mind so am thinking the Technical interview will be my way.

I have also already taken a IELTs exam, my results for the listening section were... lets say, not surprising. 6.5. I have read this is not enough.

Once I've done the interview and fingers crossed got a pass. What happens then?

Sorry to drag this out!

Hope you, or anyone else can help!!

Thankyou very much!

JR.

Hi JR

Well done on completing the first part of your skill assessment :) Next is either the practical exam or technical interview. What occupation have you nominated? You need to check out the next available In Country Assessments to see if/when the next practical exams are available for your occupation in the UK. We intend to do the technical interview simply because there are no practical exams scheduled for 'Joiner' at all! We paid the $1400 this afternoon and it says we now need to contact Vetassess to arrange a date, so I'm going to give them a call before I go to bed this evening (they're in Melbourne) and see what they say.

Once you've got a positive Skill Assessment and the required result for IELTS you are ready to submit your Expression of Interest (providing you meet all the other criteria). What score do you need in the IELTS? And what Visa are you going for?

Michelle

Hi JR

Well done on completing the first part of your skill assessment :) Next is either the practical exam or technical interview. What occupation have you nominated? You need to check out the next available In Country Assessments to see if/when the next practical exams are available for your occupation in the UK. We intend to do the technical interview simply because there are no practical exams scheduled for 'Joiner' at all! We paid the $1400 this afternoon and it says we now need to contact Vetassess to arrange a date, so I'm going to give them a call before I go to bed this evening (they're in Melbourne) and see what they say.

Once you've got a positive Skill Assessment and the required result for IELTS you are ready to submit your Expression of Interest (providing you meet all the other criteria). What score do you need in the IELTS? And what Visa are you going for?

Michelle

Hello Michelle!!!

I am at the exact same stage as you are. I am a Joiner and am using that as my nominated trade. Well I have already taken the IELTS and scored an overall score of 7.5 - I don't think that's enough. As Gaz said straight 8s are the way forward, from what I gather getting 8s means you score more than 35 marks on each!!!!

Best of luck contacting VETASSES Michelle! Thankyou very much for taking the time to reply!! Much appreciated!

Hello Michelle!!!

I am at the exact same stage as you are. I am a Joiner and am using that as my nominated trade. Well I have already taken the IELTS and scored an overall score of 7.5 - I don't think that's enough. As Gaz said straight 8s are the way forward, from what I gather getting 8s means you score more than 35 marks on each!!!!

Best of luck contacting VETASSES Michelle! Thankyou very much for taking the time to reply!! Much appreciated!

Good to hear from someone else applying as joiner, everyone I speak to seem to apply as a Carpenter! Just wanted to mention that you need to score either 7+ or 8+ for each band (reading, writing, listening and speaking), the overall score is irrelevant. Sorry if you already knew that, I just didn't want it to catch you out! Along with my hubby's age, trade qualification and 8 years relevant work experience he needs to get a 7 in each band for IELTS so don't assume that you must get 8s to be able to apply. My hubby is booked in on Saturday morning and it couldn't come quick enough, we just want it over with lol

Another 15 minutes until Vetassess Melbourne opens. I want to book the technical interview asap.

Good luck, it would be great to hear how you're getting on.

Michelle

Don't quote me on it but I think 'explosive power tools' include nail guns (they have an explosive cartridge that fires the nails out)??

What they are talking about is http://Powder actuated tools I haven't heard them referred to as explosive power tools either, but I'm 100% sure that's what they mean. In Australia you need to be certified to use them.

Edited by Movetoaus

Hello Michelle, and anyone else who is reading!

I appreciate all this information you have given me! So much help! I emailed the Australian High Commision to get a bit of info and a total run down of what is needed, with regards to points, IELTS and such like! I'll post it here just in case someone needs a step by step explanation....... Like myself!!! I'm so glad I have done everything right so far and haven't wasted time or money! I will be booking another IELTS exam for about a months time! Sister is an English translator so should know how to teach someone like me how to do it properly :laugh:

Thank you for your enquiry.

Please find the relevant information about Skill Select - Points Based Skilled Migration Visas below:

BASIC REQUIREMENTS

In order to be eligible to apply for all Points Based Skilled visa subclasses except the subclass 457, you MUST MEET ALL of the following requirements at the time of application:

You must be under 50 years old at the time of invitation.

English Language Ability

You must have ‘Competent’ level English. This is demonstrated by supplying either:

- An IELTS test result where you have achieved a score of 6 or higher in each of the four test components

or

- Provide a copy of your UK, USA, Canada, Ireland or New Zealand Passport

If you wish to be able to claim the points in relation to the IELTS test you must provide test results where you have achieved a score of 7 or higher in each of the four test components.

Nominated Skilled Occupation

You must nominate an occupation on the relevant Skilled Occupation List for the visa subclass valid at the time of application or EOI.

Skills Assessment

You must obtain a positive skills assessment issued by the Skills Assessing body for your nominated occupation prior to lodgement or EOI. You can identify your Skills Assessing body on the relevant Skilled Occupation List. In order to obtain a skill assessment you will need to contact the assessing body directly.

See: http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/sol/assessing-authorities.htm

Location And Eligible Visa Requirements

You can be in or outside Australia when you submit your EOI, when you lodge an application or when the visa is decided.

If you are intending to apply in Australia, there are no prerequisite visa requirements to lodge an application in Australia. You can apply if you are the holder of any valid visa except some bridging and other non substantive visas (Bridging visas D, E or F; Criminal justice visa; or an Enforcement visa).

It is important to note, that an EOI is not a visa application and you will not be granted a Bridging visa. If you are in Australia when you submit an EOI, and you do not hold a valid visa or are unable to apply for one, then you must depart Australia.

All Permanent Visa Applications Are Also Subject To Health And Character Requirements

For more information see:

Health

See: http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/health-requirements/

Character

See: http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/character-requirements/

For information about Points Based Skilled Migration visas: please see

(Booklet 6):

www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/books6.htm

Skilled Independent - Subclass 189

You must lodge an EOI and receive an invitation to apply.

Key requirements include:

- Invitation to apply

- Meet points test pass mark (60 points)

- Nominate a skilled occupation from the relevant skilled occupation list

- Hold a suitable skills assessment

- Under 50 years of age

- At least competent English (IELTS 6)

- Other standard requirements including health and character

If granted, you may live and work anywhere in Australia.

For additional information please see:

http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/189.aspx

Please note:

-The information you are given by the Europe Service Centre will be based on the information you supply.

-We recommend that you do not make any irreversible travel arrangements until you have an appropriate visa.

Yours faithfully,

Europe Service Centre

Department of Immigration and Border Protection

www.immi.gov.au

• 2 weeks later...

My husbandd went for the recognition of Prior learning with a college in Brisbane. Building Trades Australia,,, the process is not hard if you know your trade. He need to collect his evidence for his passwork, meet with a assessor to answer question, then he got is qualification. Now he is doing his management course to get his licence with BSA.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys.

This is all very useful information for me. I am currently gathering all of my paperwork together to apply for my skills assessment (Carpentry), just basically stressing myself about everything(really, really want to emigrate). Any advice and information would be so helpful. for example which companies have you gone with for skills assessment (currently looking at Australian construction training services (ACTS). What documents I need? what the technical interviews are like? Bearing in mind I have only been in this trade for 5 years.

Thank you so much, hope you are all successful!

Hi guys.

This is all very useful information for me. I am currently gathering all of my paperwork together to apply for my skills assessment (Carpentry), just basically stressing myself about everything(really, really want to emigrate). Any advice and information would be so helpful. for example which companies have you gone with for skills assessment (currently looking at Australian construction training services (ACTS). What documents I need? what the technical interviews are like? Bearing in mind I have only been in this trade for 5 years.

Thank you so much, hope you are all successful!

Hi Ashley,

I wasn't aware that ACTS were registered to do the skill assessment for emigration purposes. I always thought it was either Vetassess or Victoria University for a carpenter. Things may have changed since I first started looking into it though so I may be wrong but suggest it'd be worth a check. We decided not to use an agent and as my hubby is the main applicant doing all the tests I agreed to do all the paperwork and organising. For the first part of the skill assessment - the Training and Employment Check, we submitted his CV, NVQ Level 2 & Level 3 certificates, Construction Skills Health & Safety Test Certificates (which had expired but I though they might help), 2 payslips for the beginning/middle/end of each period of employment covering the last 2 years, a P45, a detailed reference letter from each period of employment and a few photos of recent pieces he has made in the workshop. I included a List of Content so it was clear what each items was and that was it. Have you been self employed at any point over the last couple of years? If so the evidence you need will be different.

My hubby said he'd have preferred to have done a practical assessment for the 2nd part of the skill assessment but there were none available and none scheduled for his occupation. He therefore booked in for the technical interview. It took place in Manchester on Monday. He said it wasn't an unpleasant experience, the bloke doing the assessment was fine. He was in there just over an hour and we're now waiting for the outcome. We're keeping everything crossed.

If there's anything specific you'd like to know ask away and I'll do my best to help if I can.

Hey Shelley was the assessor also called Eric? I done mine in manchester last wendesday and got pass back on tuesday passed there. they havnt emailed me yet, i logged ont my vetassess acount, via continue apllication and it said under the second stage, assessment successful. yours will have the same by now for sure. they only email you to let you know once the certiciate is ready to send to you:)

Hey Shelley was the assessor also called Eric? I done mine in manchester last wendesday and got pass back on tuesday passed there. they havnt emailed me yet, i logged ont my vetassess acount, via continue apllication and it said under the second stage, assessment successful. yours will have the same by now for sure. they only email you to let you know once the certiciate is ready to send to you:)

You got my hopes up then! Just checked the online status but it still says 'in progress'. If you did your interview last Wednesday and got your results on Tuesday then it took 6 days, it's only been 3 days for us so far but it'd be great if it came through so quickly!

Thanks for the tip, I'll be sure to look each day. Fingers crossed x

Hey Shelley, you said your doing your apllication by yourself without an agent? I have/am aswell, would you mind keep contact maybe via private mail to discuss our applications as we are at a similar stage and reckon we could help each other?

Ive just got mine cert this morning.. ILL send you a pic private mail if you like, its not a certIII carpentry like someone above suggested though.

Edited by steveinmunich

Yes, I'm doing ti all myself. That would be great Steve.

I'm sure I read on the Vetassess website that following a positive skill assessment a carpenter/joiner would get a cert III. I also have a recollection of reading that a test is required on arrival in Oz before you can get your hands on it though. Hmm, might look into that.

Hey Shelley, you said your doing your apllication by yourself without an agent? I have/am aswell, would you mind keep contact maybe via private mail to discuss our applications as we are at a similar stage and reckon we could help each other?

Ive just got mine cert this morning.. ILL send you a pic private mail if you like, its not a certIII carpentry like someone above suggested though.

Just a thought Steve but I'm not sure it's a good idea to attach the actual Skill Assessment document to a public forum. I'm sure no one could print it and tamper with it in any way for their own use but as it has you personal details on I don't think I'd risk it.