**cat enclosures in oz... Yay or nay??

Lucyjh3287

Cat ppl or ppl who have moved cats to oz.. I keep being told about outdoor cat enclosures for my cat once I get to oz, cat max is the main company... It's like netting around the house which allows cats to go outside but not be loose in a strange place. The reason I am considering this is that my cat is a hunter (worrying about snakes) and we currently live among fields so she isn't used to roads and cars..

Has anyone thats moved to oz used one of these or know anyone that has. If not what would be your view? Safety wise I am all for it but I don't think my cat would have the natural exciting life she does now...

Any help welcome

:)

I have not got one but have considered it, although we live on large land so its not really a problem for us. I have three cats. Our laws make it necessary for us to look out for our cats as a general rule they are not allowed out at night, have to be kept on our property, ie not supposed to stray etc. Some housing estates here in Melbourne do not allow cats to be kept at all. There are not a lot of them though. The reason is our wild life is very prone to cat attack and feral cats are a real problem here in Aus. Therefore we have to have them fixed and we have to register them like we do dogs and they get given a disc to wear on their collar. They also have to be microchipped.

Lots of people have cat enclosures and the cats are very happy in them, they get the best of both worlds, safety, sun, shade and if you go away there are people who will come in and feed the cats which is much cheaper than putting them in a cattery.

Some people have large ones others small, they will make them any size and shape and the cat can go in and out as it likes.

I can't remember who it was but somebody had a fab cat enclosure, photos are on here somewhere.

i have a cat but she's an indoor cat so didn't need to worry about outdoor stuff.

its so hard because they are more restricted, laws depend on which state you live in.

would you consider leaving her in the UK to continue being free?

Edited by Wellers and Whitehead

Depending on where you live, there may well be cat curfews and some even requiring you to keep your cat on your own property 24/7 and to not stray off it. This is possibly why so many people have cat escape proof gardens and runs etc, alongside the wildlife risk.

Cats here are supposed to be microchipped and at least in some suburbs round here with cat curfew regs cats found straying are picked up and taken to the pound. Without a chip its not a given they will be reunited with their owner or even rehomed. Also the feral cat populations is of concern and controlled.

Yes some areas won't have a cat curfew but I'd still be looking to keep mine on my own property if I had one. TBH I hardly see a cat out on the street or wandering around where we live. Or anywhere else I've been round the city and suburbs for that matter.

I can't remember who it was but somebody had a fab cat enclosure, photos are on here somewhere.

i have a cat but she's an indoor cat so didn't need to worry about outdoor stuff.

its so hard because they are more restricted, laws depend on which state you live in.

would you consider leaving her in the UK to continue being free?

That was me. :-)

We made a home made one for our three cats. I'll see it I can find the video of it at my last house.

Wow Blossom that's really impressive!! You could market those skills :biggrin:

I've a cat I brought over from England, I was quite paranoid about her going out at first and kept her inside for about 2 months when she first arrived. She goes outside now and when I try and keep her in (like when it was 44 degrees at the weekend!) she isn't happy about it.

I try to be a responsible owner, she's chipped and registered, yearly vaccination visits to the vet, she's in before it gets dark outside. She doesn't go far from us, but I'm sure she probably does roam in the neighbouring gardens. That said there are around 2-3 other cats around us that also pop into our garden now and again (not for long mind, Milly soon sees them off!)

The only think that she manages to get hold of are tiny lizzards, and she doesn't kill them, just brings them back and drops them at my feet.

So a cat enclosure, whilst I don't feel it necessary for us, might be what you want for piece of mind.

I find it a bit weird to be honest.. especially if they're not used to it. I also found it weird to see people with cats on leads! Maybe it was just where I was at the time lol..

I hate it when people have rabbits and keep them in tiny hutches too... If you're going to get an animal, they should be as free as possible.

I find it a bit weird to be honest.. especially if they're not used to it. I also found it weird to see people with cats on leads! Maybe it was just where I was at the time lol..

I hate it when people have rabbits and keep them in tiny hutches too... If you're going to get an animal, they should be as free as possible.

Unfortunelty many people here don't agree and keep dogs 100% of their lives in a yard. They get bored stiff and if anything wanders into their territory they rip them to pieces. I've heard of lots of people's cats being killed by dogs here. In the uk it was more often cars, but not here. I'd rather keep my cats where I know they are safe. However, it is all my cats have ever known.

I find it a bit weird to be honest.. .. If you're going to get an animal, they should be as free as possible.

There's nothing weird about finding your cat dead or dying ...caused by a snake, a dog or a car. It's just plain heart wrenching. If you're going to get an animal, it is your responsibility to keep them as safe as possible. It is also your responsibility to ensure that they don't destroy the freedom of other little critters...many of which, in Australia, are on the endangered species list.

If they're used to it, all they've ever known as you say, and they're looked after well,have a nice big enclosure then of course that's fine. I think it just must be hard on a cat if they have been used to more freedom. Just my opinion.

Obviously, there are worse things in the world.

I feel sorry for those dogs.

Edited by maidensarah

There's nothing weird about finding your cat dead or dying ...caused by a snake, a dog or a car. It's just plain heart wrenching. If you're going to get an animal, it is your responsibility to keep them as safe as possible. It is also your responsibility to ensure that they don't destroy the freedom of other little critters...many of which, in Australia, are on the endangered species list.

You make a good point. One reason I wouldn't get a cat, as we live on a fairly busy road. Plus I prefer dogs.

Edited by maidensarah